Pages

Monday, October 24, 2022

Overnight with Ruby

 Last weekend Alaina had a sleepover birthday party with her friends. Laura said she though Ruby might be a pest to them (imagine that!), so Ruby spent the night with us.
We told her we could go for supper anywhere she wanted.  She had a hard time deciding between Chik-fil-A and Red Robin.


She ended up choosing Red Robin. We met there after I got home from work, so she rode there with Bob, and home with me.  There was non-stop talking all the way home!



When we got home, we did a crystal making kit.  We set these in the window sill and I sent pictures to Ruby to show her how they were growing.




Here's what they looked like after a week.




Ruby brought along an art book she's been making. She loves to draw and wanted to show us some of her work.



Here's some of the pages in her book.


We watched a movie and then tucked her into bed.  But then she heard I was going to be painting some things for our craft the next day and said "I can help"!  She was so excited to help, that I let her get back up and paint.



Here she is, 10:30 at night painting!  We were painting Jenga blocks.  She painted the orange ones, I did the white ones.  She did a good job and we went to bed around 11. She was pretty excited about staying up that late.



Here they are, drying overnight.




The next morning, Ruby made a card for my Dad who had fallen the week before and was pretty sore.




Then we started working on our craft.  I have a cool melt glue gun so I let Ruby do the gluing. We glued the blocks together, put a cinnamon stick in the middle for a stem and then put a rafia bow on them.



Aren't they cute little pumpkins? Ruby was pretty proud of them.




We stopped to see Great Grandpa on the way home and give him the card she made.  Of course, he loved seeing her and the card.

It was a fun time, and nice to have one on one time with her.

24 comments:

Jenny the Pirate said...

Awwww the little jenga-piece pumpkins are adorable! And how sweet of Ruby to stay up and help you paint them, haaahaha! She's got the sweetest face and the most endearing smile. Tell her that Jenny the Pirate says GOOD JOB choosing Red Robin! You can go to CFA any old time! I'm sorry your dad took a tumble. Ugh. I hope he is feeling better every day. xoxo

Debby said...

What a cute idea using the jenga pieces to craft pumpkins. Clever!

How nice to be able to have that one on one with Ruby. She’ll always remember that. Sorry about your dad’s fall. Hope he continues to get better.

Ginny Hartzler said...

The pumpkins are adorable!!! You always have the best crafts to do with the girls, and I can see she just loves coming to your house. I am so sorry about your Dad, thanking God that he did not get seriously hurt!

Jean said...

I love that she got to stay up late with you! Why not?? Such a fun craft!

Catherine said...

I loved to do crafts with my daughter now I continue by myself . I like what your pumpkins very cute.

Hootin Anni said...

By the smiles, she enjoyed the one on one time too. Loved the craft project.

roentare said...

Looks like a fun day with handcrafting skills

DUTA said...

Your grandaughter is adorable: looks, and everything else about her!

R's Rue said...

Love it.

Changes in the wind said...

Those crystals are amazing! Glad she was able to come and be one on one.

Suemn said...

I bet Ruby had a really fun time with you and Bob. The little pumpkins are so cute. It's so nice that Ruby loves visiting with your dad, her great grand dad:)

Julieann said...

Can I cry now!!! I was so over the moon excited to see your comment on another blog I was reading...I didn't realize you were still blogging. I can't wait to read more of your lovely blog 🤍

XO
Julieann

Beth Cotell said...

What a great little artist and I love that she likes crafts! I didn't realize there was a cool glue gun! I could have used that back in the day!

Mandy said...

The pumpkins are adorable! 🎃 So glad y’all had some special time together. Sure hope your dad is feeling better.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

It's so sweet when a kiddo can get Grandma and Grandpa time all to herself. 😉 You guys are just so darn fun!
I LOVE the pumpkins! What an adorable idea!! And they turned out brilliantly. 🎃

happyone said...

What fun times at your house.
Love the crystals.

Terri D said...

The pumpkins turned out great!! One-on-one with Ruby is pretty special!! The girls are both growing up so fast!! I'm glad your dad is feeling better and didn't break anything when he fell. I wish there was a Red Robin here in Lakeland. I like Red Robin but never think about going to Tampa to find one. xo

Connie said...

She is such a pretty girl and I love her rosy cheeks and freckles. That was me when I was a little girl. I miss those freckles now :)

Debi said...

I always love seeing the crafts you do with the girls. It was so nice that Ruby got some special one on one time with you. I suspect Alaina will be wanting her turn soon!

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a great sleepover. You are such a fun grandma! Ruby is a good helper and quite a talented artist! I always enjoy seeing the cool things you do with your grandkids. :-)

Jeanette said...

I love the little pumpkins! I bet Ruby was so excited to have so much one on one time with grandma and grandpa! She is super sweet!

Kim said...

It looks like she really enjoyed her one on one time at grandma's house! I bet she loved staying up late and having you guys all to herself for a little bit.

Henny Penny said...

You are such a good grandma. Bet a sleepover at your house is more fun than one with the other little girls. :)

Doris said...

What a nice one-on-one time with Ruby! Your crafts are always so interesting...good job once again!
We have an artist here too, our Zoe. I hope Ruby keeps at it. Zoe looks at youtube videos to learn new techniques.