Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Works for me Wednesday

Today is Works for me Wednesday. My tip for the day is the way I keep the edges of my pie from getting too dark. When I was first married, I would take strips of foil and put them around the edge of the pie. It was hard to get them in place without messing up the pie edge and they would fall off when I tried to get the pie in the oven. One day I thought it would work better it the foil was in one piece. Here is what I did and have done ever since.


Use a square piece of foil, that is big enough to cover the whole pie. Fold in half, then in half again to form a smaller square.









Now - cut the corner out of the square, in the shape of a quarter circle.










Open the remaining piece of foil and place over the edges of the pie.







Remove foil for the last 15 minutes of baking time. Your pie will be browned, but not too dark!
That's my tip for the day. If you want to see more ideas, visit Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer.

10 comments:

Megan Cobb said...

That is a BEAUTIFUL pie. What's in there? Very Clevah idea for covering the crust! You are a smartie.

Unknown said...

Very neat idea, you are a genius!!!!

Mari said...

Megan - it's a peach pie!

Short Stop said...

This is a great idea!

Laura said...

I'll say it again - you are too smart! But why oh why didn't you teach me any of these things before I left home! I always struggle with getting that aluminum foil on the pie crust!

Cheri said...

That does work great- I've been a convert ever since you showed me that!

Rmomof3 said...

What a great idea! I will have to try that!

Blessings!
Renee

SimplyAmusingDesigns.com said...

Next week...show me how you crimped your edges so perfectly! (LOVE the tip - thanks for sharing!)

Terri said...

Great idea. I'll try that next time I make a pie.

SAHMmy Says said...

Too smart for me! I always put the foil on when I discovered that the edges were blackening--it makes much more sense to start with the foil on and remove at the end!