Pages

Monday, August 6, 2007

Let it Rain!


It has been dry in Michigan. Our rainfall is considerably below the normal amount for this time of year. Lawns that haven't been sprinkled are brown and crackle when you step on them. Trees that are under stress are already changing colors. In the farm land around us, the corn is much shorter than it should be. On Sunday it rained. It was one of those nice gentle rains. No thunder, no lightning, just rain. Afterward there was that great smell in the air that is only there after a rain. I was at work Sunday morning and I stood in the entry of the Nursing Home and as I looked at the rain coming down on the parking lot, I was reminded of a song that we have sung occasionally at church. "Let it rain, open the flood gates of heaven and let it rain". I was reminded again of how God takes care of us. He gives us rain and waters the earth. He gives us spiritual rain and refreshes our souls. I also thought about how we often don't want rain. We pray for nice weather literally, and we also want our lives to be always sunny. But without the rain, we would be living in a desert. Thank you Lord for the rain.
The Lord will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. Deuteronomy 28:12

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice Mari, You have wonderful thoughts.

Cheri said...

And Yeah- it's raining again today!!

Laura said...

I love the rain. It's so beautiful and refreshing and making everything green again.

Julie said...

Hi Mari! Thanks for the link to the organization magazine. How long have you worked at the long care nursing facility? Are you an LPN or an RN? Is it a nursing home, or is it a specialized hospital? Are there lots of vents there? My grandmother died in a specialized long term care facility. One day, when I go back to nursing I would like to work with the geriatric population. I was an RN - I've let my license expire since having children.

Terri said...

Love the rain - even though we had to deliver papers in it this morning. How long till our grass actually is green? I'm just glad I'm not camping this week!