Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hydrangea Tree


Here is a picture of a hydrangea tree that we have in our backyard. (The area around it is dug up because Bob is getting it ready for more plantings.) Bob's sisters gave this to him several years ago and we have enjoyed it ever since. We have had problems getting other hydrangeas to bloom, but this one has bloomed every year. It begins blooming in July with lots of white blossoms. As summer comes to an end, the blossoms begin to turn pinker and they darken to an antique rose color. They often stay on the tree well into winter and are often hanging on with snow covering them. This tree reminds me of we as Christians are supposed to be. You see - this tree is really a bush that has been grafted onto a trunk. In Romans, Paul compares us to a wild branch that is grafted into a cultivated tree: " After all, you were cut out of an olive tree that is wild by nature, and contrary to nature were grafted into a cultivated olive tree". Romans 11:24. We have been grafted into the family of God and are alive through Christ! Now our job is to "flower" or bear fruit. It is too easy to sit back and depend on others to do the work, tell the story, help those in need... I'm so often guilty of that and I need to be reminded of why I am here. I'm supposed to be "bearing fruit". "Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them." Matthew 7:17-20.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to pop over and say "hi" and thanks for visiting today! I enjoyed browsing a bit, but as it's getting late, I'll return tomorrow.
Goodnight!
Jen

Terri said...

Your landscaping looks so good. I wish we had some better ideas for our yard. Are your Rose of Sharon's still alive?

Bonnie said...

How beautiful ! I love the bench behind ! I'd love to sit there and have a cuppa or read a book !!
Bonnie

Mari said...

Terri - the Rose of Sharons are doing great. Bob has started more of them from seedlings, like the ones Dave gave us.
Bonnie - I love the bench too. My husband made it a few years ago and it is a great place to sit and enjoy the flowers

Megan Cobb said...

It is beautiful, and so are you. Thanks for the fruitful reminder!

Laura said...

What a nice picture and a good reminder. Isn't it amazing that bushes can be grafted onto trees, or one kind of tree onto another tree's trunk (like our cherry). I guess it's equally amazing that God would want to graft us into his family.

Cheri said...

I love that tree- I wish we would have a little luck with trees at our house!

SAHMmy Says said...

What a thoughtful article! Your tree is beautiful--I've seen hydrangea bushes, but never like this! I'll have to see if they carry these at the ol' Home Depot!