Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2022

Birthdays and Hospitals

 It's been a week!  Last week I had to take my Dad in for a procedure on his heart called a cardio-version.  He had been having an irregular heart beat so they put him out and shocked his heart.  It took 2 times, but he converted into a regular rhythm.  He's not been feeling well and they thought this would help.
However, at the end of the day Wednesday he called me at work and asked me to stop and check him.  When I got there I couldn't believe how short of breath and wheezy he was and I took him to the ER. They ran tests, nothing really showed up.  They adjusted his meds and sent him home.
Thursday he wasn't any better and Friday was his birthday.  91 years old! 


(Dad and Ann in January)


I called him and he said he was doing ok, but not up to getting out. (This is not his normal.  He usually is up and about and bowls twice a week),  He said he would like us all to just come over.  We ordered takeout and gathered at his house.



My 2 sisters and their husbands, my brother and Bob and I came.  A few granddaughters came too.



(Dad and Cheri)

He still wasn't feeling well and was really wheezing, but he loved having the family around.

When I got home, I was just not comfortable with how he was wheezing, even though the hospital said to just wait and let the med changes work.  I call the on-call for that night, who turned out to be his primary care Dr and knows him.  He said to go back to the ER, and this time he would call ahead.


It was crazy busy that night. We got their around 9 and had to wait for almost an hour to get into an ER room.  Then there was test after test - which were not showing anything.  However, it was obvious he was sick.  Finally at 5:30 he was transferred to the Critical Care Unit.  He has a lot of extra fluid around his belly, and his kidneys aren't working well.  They will be doing more tests and trying to get some of that fluid off.
I went home about 6:30 that morning.
My Dad is a really sweet guy, the nurses always say he is so cute!  We agree that he is pretty special and it sure wasn't a great way to spend his birthday night.




I went back up on Sunday morning.  Here's his room, nice and big. However, the crazy covid rules continue, and he can only have 2 visitors in a day, so we are having to plan out who can visit and try to arrange for our stepmom to be one of those people.







And this is the view from his window - 6 stories up.

He said he was feeling a little bit better.  They were giving him a lot of diuretics while monitoring his kidneys.
They plan to drain the extra fluid in his abdomen, possibly on Monday.
If that's successful it will help him feel quite a bit better.
I'll try to update you on how he is doing in the coming days.

28 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari. So sorry that your dad is in the hospital. He is blessed to have a wonderful daughter who is also a nurse. I hope that he is feeling better and able to go home soon. Have a good week.

Debi said...

Oh, Mari... I am so sorry about your dad and on his birthday. I hope they can figure out what is going on and he starts to feel better and go home soon. I will keep him in my prayers.

Jan said...

Keeping your Dad in my prayers.

Cheryl’s Sunlit Pathway said...

Love and blessings to you. You must be so tired, I pray rest and refreshing and peace for you. May the Lord's healing hands be on your dad and may he begin to feel much better. He surely knows and understands whatever is going on, praying wisdom for the doctors. It looks like you have a close knit family and that is so beautiful!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Awww, what a horrible birthday! BUT it was better than leaving him at home, where wo knows what might happen! I am so glad you called the doctor! Now he is getting the attention he needs. Keep us posted, and also let us know when they find out what is causing all of this. Seems like they need to know the cause in order to fix it.

Kim said...

Thinking of you and your dad, Mari and keeping you both in my prayers. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Susan said...

Hi Mari, Happy Birthday to your dad. I hope he gets better soon. I lost my dad when he was 79, 9 years ago. I sure miss him! I hope your week goes well!

Joyful said...

Happy belated birthday to your father. He does look like a real sweetheart. It is always such a worry when our parents are not well. I'm glad you were able to get him into the hospital so they can try to get him more comfortable. I hope they can drain his fluid and help him feel fit as a fiddle again really soon.

Hootin Anni said...

My goodness. Having a loved one that is going thru so much is traumatic, I know. Let's pray he's well soon!!

My heart goes out to you & your family.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Will be praying for your Dad and those caring for him.

Donna said...

Oh Mari! I'm so Sorry! Hospitals are never fun!
Praying for your father!!
hughugs
Donna

Linda said...

Oh no...so sorry Mari...I will add him and your family to our prayer list.

Changes in the wind said...

What a hard time for all. Glad he is in the hospital and hope he will be feeling better soon.

Jean said...

This is SO hard, and I’m really sorry, Mari! I am praying for answers and healing for your precious dad!

Suemn said...

Hi Mari, Your dad is lucky to have such a wonderful family to watch over and care or him. I will keep your dad and family in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim said...

My goodness! I'm so sorry he's feeling so bad. Not fair to suffer so much and be in the hospital on your birthday. I pray he recovers completely and gets back to feeling well again. The Lord be with you all! 🙏

Jeanette said...

Aww I hope they get him feeling better soon.

Sparky said...

Thoughts and prayers for your Dad, you and your whole family. God bless you all in Christ. xx

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Oh my Dear....

He is so lucky to have you, a nurse, for a Dear Daughter.

Best wishes and gentle hugs...

happyone said...

Oh so sorry to hear about your dad and his medical problem. Sure hope it gets resolved soon. Will be praying for him.

Terri D said...

Thank you for letting us know, Mari. I will be praying for his full and complete recovery! I know how hard it is for all who love him to not be able to be with him. Thanks for keeping us posted! xo

Diana said...

Hey, my friend, just wanted to let you know I did read this yesterday. So glad you decided to do something about it when things didn't seem right for your dad. Jerry and I have been keeping your dad and family in prayer. Give us an update when you have time. Hugs!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Oh no, how frustrating that must be. Hope the doctors have finally been able to figure out what's going on and your dad is on the road to recovery. Just said a little prayer for him.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

It's so hard when there's not an obvious cause for not feeling well. Prayers that the doctors will be able to figure out what is causing his body to retain fluid. My dad has also had things like that, and it has often been because of medication adjustments. Hopefully the diuretics will help, but not drop his blood pressure too much, as that also happens. What a special man your dad is, I can just tell he loves his family so much. Prayers that he is feeling better and back at home!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Geesh what a trooper! I'm so sorry he's not feeling well and I hope the med changes and procedures will help. It's always hard to see our loved ones suffering in any way. Prayers sent for your Dad to feel better in the days ahead!! 🙏

Doris said...

What a time! So glad he's getting help, having you is so good! It's hard to have a loved one in the hospital these days. Of course 2 visitors is better then none but still hard. Christy was only allowed one a day. Saying a prayer for all of you as I write this, hugs!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh Mari! This is certainly a trial. I'm grateful that your well-trained and experienced instincts said to get him back to the hospital. I think sick folks are shunted off home much too readily these days! I am sorry to be reading this so late but I will pray for your dad and for Ann, and for you and your sibs that God will heal your dad and get him home and feeling better just in the right timing. xoxo

My Tata's Cottage said...

I am so sorry he had to go to the hospital but I know he is doing better, thank you for telling us. I bet you will celebrate when he returns home. Praying for him.