Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2022

Mystery Reader

 Last week I got to be a Mystery Reader for Ruby's class.  It's something they do every Friday at the end of the day.  The teacher asks for volunteers at the beginning of the year and it fills up fast.  When I signed up, it was already up to February!  So, when I got my new job, I asked right away if I'd be able to have that Friday off and they said it wouldn't be a problem.
The mystery reader is a parent or grandparent.  None of the kids know who it is until they come, and each child is thrilled when they find it is their person!
Ruby had asked me a few months ago if I could come and be a mystery reader and I had to give her a non-definitive answer, knowing my time was coming.
The week before, Bob got his schedule and surprise!  He had Friday off.  He never has Friday off, but this meant he got to go along and I knew Ruby would be even more excited.

This is the book I took along to read.  Ruby loves bunnies, so I knew she would enjoy it.  It's about a little stuffed bunny with a smudge on it, so she sits in a barrel in the store and isn't chosen.  Until this little girl comes along and chooses her, gives her a name and loves her.  It's a cute book with a good message!



I also found these cute bunny pens to give each of the kids.




The kids were at an assembly when we arrived, so we waited in the room.



Here are the kids coming in.  Ruby is just coming in the door, and when she realized it was us, she had the biggest smile on her face.



The kids had lots of questions and seemed to enjoy the book. When we were done, Ruby got to leave with us.  We waited a bit for Alaina so we could take her too.
We stopped at a bakery to get a treat before going home.


They each chose these cute puppy cookies. 
What a fun afternoon!


18 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

That was such a fun afternoon! It's so neat that you and Bob could be the mystery readers Ruby's classroom. Those puppy cookies are so cute! Have a great week!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Indeed a fun afternoon, and what a big surprise they got! I would call Friday a smashing sucess! Not to mention these adorable cookies.

Hootin Anni said...

How fun!! A wonderful storybook choice too!! And sweet handout. Those cookies are too adorable to eat

Martha said...

What a fun afternoon! I'm so glad you were both able to go.

Changes in the wind said...

Oh my what a special memory that was and those pens were adorable.

Suemn said...

What a fun thing for you and Bob to do together... and to give the kids those cute bunny pens. The cookies are so adorable and I'd be sad to eat those dogs because they are so cute but I would. ha!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

What a delightful program!!!!

The teacher should be applauded, for having set this up!!!

Adorable book, and gifts.

Gentle hugs

Beside a babbling brook... said...

MASKS!!!!

Some on, some not!

They are able to choose????

How perfectly marvelous and wonderful and FREE!

Oh how lucky are your "Grands," to live, where this is the norm!!!!!

It makes me sooooo happppppy!

Gentle hugs

Beside a babbling brook... said...

And so far, I am the only one, who noticed the MASK issue!!!!

-sigh-

Gentle hugs

Jenny the Pirate said...

Gimme those puppy cook ... OH! Great time had by all at Ruby's class! Those bunny pens are so darling. I love Ruby's pink dress too! You and Bon are the absolute best grandparents. xoxo

happyone said...

Such a great idea and sounds like fun. How nice that you gave everyone a pen.
Did something like that when I was in HS for speech class. We couldn't read the book but had to TELL the story. It was fun and the little kids got a real kick out of it. :)

Linda said...

AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Thanks, Mari, for sharing...and you look Marvelous!

Kim said...

What a fun, special day y'all had! Really special. Everything looks darling!

Terri D said...

Those girls are so blessed by just the best grandparents!! I would love to have been a fly on the wall!! Well, I would also have liked to have one of those cookies!! :) Thanks for sharing your special day with us, Mari! I just love how close your family is!! xo

Joyful said...

What a wonderful idea for parent and grandparent participation.

Laura said...

This visit just made her year I think! She felt so special having both her grandparents come and read to her class. And bunny pens and cookies on top of it? Does life get any better?!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Oh what a fun idea! It brings back wonderful memories of my MIL being a volunteer reader when Annie was in preschool. Before she developed her Alzheimers. I bet Ruby treasured every minute! And the pens were the sweetest touch. You and Bob are such wonderful grandparents and I pray all the time that I get to be one myself someday. 😊

My Tata's Cottage said...

I love all the sweet photos! I am going to buy the Audrey Bunny book. My friend Lynette is organizing her late Aunt Frances home to sell. Lynette's grandpa raised bunnies. Her grandma used one of the bunny cages in her kitchen to store cookies. Lynette's sister is going to refurbish it. We use to love seeing all the bunnies as her grandpa worked to feed and care for them. It is a sweet memory. We have wild bunnies in our yard. They dig up everything. Naughty, naughty naughty bunnies. Thank you for these special memories you are making. :-)