Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Cooking Thursday

I love roasted tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and balsamic vinegar, so I knew this recipe would be a good one.  You can serve it as a salad, or cut the ingredients in a smaller size and alternate them in a line and serve with crackers as an appetizer.  Either way is fresh and delicious.

(I forgot to take a photo, so used this from the recipe)

Barefoot Contessa Roasted Tomato Caprese Salad

12 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeds (not cores) removed
1/4 cup good olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1-1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons sugar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
16 ounces fresh salted mozzarella
12 fresh basil leaves, julienned

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees.

Arrange the tomatoes on a sheet pan, cut sides up, in a single layer. Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with the garlic, sugar, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Roast for 2 hours until the tomatoes are concentrated and begin to caramelize. Allow the tomatoes to cool to room temperature.

Cut the mozzarella into slices slightly less than ½ inch thick. If the slices of mozzarella are larger than the tomatoes, cut the mozzarella slices in half. Layer the tomatoes alternately with the mozzarella on a platter and scatter the basil on top. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Serve at room temperature.

17 comments:

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Sounds delicious...

How is your weather, please?

Hope it is not too bad.......

Phoebes World said...

Oh my gosh... this looks and sounds delicious

I have to try it...

Thanks Mari x

Susan said...

Hi Mari, You always have great recipes!

Connie said...

My mouth is watering :)

Ginny Hartzler said...

OR I could put a lot of it on a big plate and have it as a meal!! It is so pretty, and yummy looking!

Joyful said...

I love this combo too but I never seem to make it. I've only eaten in a restaurant yet it's so easy to make and pretty to look at. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Hootin Anni said...

Ohhhh,yum!!!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I love all the ingredients so I know this would be good. Thanks for sharing.

Martha said...

I've never had Caprese with roasted tomatoes but it sure sounds delicious!

Terri D said...

I love this and must try it with the roasted tomatoes. I always just use fresh. Yum!! Thanks, Mari! xo

R's Rue said...

Yum

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh my word. I'll for sure be doing this. Reminds me of my wonderful recipe for bruschetta, only without the bread. I saw you had more snow. haaaaaa xoxo

Sandi said...

Yum.

happyone said...

Oh yes, I'd love this too.

Jeanette said...

Yummy! That looks really good!

Kim said...

Wow, that looks so good!!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Stealing this one! Yum!