Pages

Monday, October 11, 2021

Memories

 

This is a picture of my Dad and his sister Esther.  She was about 15 months younger than my Dad and passed away last week at 88.  If you saw her, you wouldn't have thought she was 88.  She still got around well and had a great sense of humor. She had a stroke and passed shortly afterward.  Her daughter said that even when she was dealing with the issues that came with the stroke, she talked of how blessed she was, and how God took care of her.  She was a joy to know.
My Dad came from a family of 9 kids.  He was right in the middle - 4 older, 4 younger.  One died as a child, and now all the kids older than him have passed, and now Aunt Esther being just a little younger is gone as well.
We have been very blessed to be part of this family.  They have stayed close through the years and always support each other.  The siblings that are living still meet up for breakfast frequently.
Dad and Aunt Esther were always known as the jokers of the family.  I want to share a few things we heard about the 2 of them when they were younger.
When they were quite young, Dad got a new winter coat. This was in the 30's so the Depression was going on and a new coat was a big deal.  Well, he was teasing Esther so much, that she got mad at him and threw his new coat down into the outhouse.  He got in big trouble, and she never confessed until she was married.  
Another story is from when they were older.  Dad told her he had set up a blind date for her.  She got all ready for it, and when there was a knock on the door, she went out to the entry, only to find a old man from church.  Dad knew this guy was coming to have a meeting with his Dad and totally set Aunt Esther up.
That's just the tip of the iceberg.  We've said that our Grandma was a saint to put up with all the shenanigans in that house, but we sure do laugh now.
It's sad to see another family member pass, but a blessing that she went quickly and we know were she is, and we'll see her again.
It was also good to see lots of family at the funeral, catch up and laugh over some of those old stories!

19 comments:

Suemn said...

What a cute picture of your dad and his younger sister. I love your stories of what they did to each other when they were younger. I have one similar to the coat down the outhouse story... well, not as bad as that but something that I always remembered doing and my older brother getting the blame:) I didn't admit to it until well into my adult years. ha!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I'm so sorry. But what a wonderful tribute to two mischeif making siblings in their youth.

Paula Alexandra Santos said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Mari, but glad that your aunt is resting and that one day you will all meet again in Heaven.
They looked so cute in that picture. And your right: your grandmother was a saint! ;)

Hootin Anni said...

This is the best kind of sibling relations!! Happy lives deserve happy afterlife. Yes, your whole family is blessed.
My condolences.

Deb J. in Utah said...

She sounds like a wonderful woman. Great tribute to your aunt and dad, and their family. So sorry for your loss.

Arlene G said...

What a sweet picture and story. We seldom see our extended family unless it is at a funeral...we need to change that.

Tracy dixon said...

Those are some sweet and funny memories. Praying for the family

Changes in the wind said...

Such a sweet picture, sorry for your loss.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Sounds like a very happy family....

A Joy to have been part of.

Yes, a blessing that she went quickly.

Gentle hugs,
🍁🌰🍁

Sparky said...

Don't ya just love old photos and the family stories one inherits. Be sure to cherish that. I'm always "envious" of those who do. I came from a small family that didn't like me 'cause I was adopted. (I won't put the word here that they called me 'cause it's rude.) When I found my birth-family, they have showered me with love and so have my Christian brothers and sisters. I never realized what I had missed until I gave my heart to Jesus Christ and He has filled me with His love.
Didn't mean to write so much. Loved this post!!
God bless you and your precious family always. xx

DUTA said...

Your aunt Esther was sweet both in the childhood picture with your Dad,and in her life. May her soul rest in peace!

Henny Penny said...

What a sweet picture of your dad and his sister. They were both so cute and I love how they were dressed. That story about the coat is so funny. Can you imagine doing something like that!

enjoyed your weekend adventures with Alaina and Ruby. Those girls have the cutest freckles. That truck load of spilled pumpkins and gourds is something! That was fun.

Kim said...

I'm so sorry, Mari. Sending prayers...

Jenny the Pirate said...

Precious picture, Mari. You have a goodly heritage! Yet, I am sorry that your dad has to endure the passing of a sibling he loved so dearly. Thanks be to God, he will see her again. Meanwhile, you all have my condolences! xoxo

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I'm so sorry about your Aunt Esther....but yes, such a blessing she went fast and sounds like she lived a wonderful long life. You have some real longevity in your family!!
Love the photo and stories so much. They are treasures and I hope you have them written down somewhere. That is how family legacy lives on. Precious memories like that are priceless.
God bless Aunt Esther and may she be resting (& having fun) in the arms of the angels. xo

Terri D said...

Oh, Mari, I'm so sorry for your family's loss of Aunt Esther. What fun they had remembering all those shenanigans from the younger years! Family stories are just the best memories to have. They fill our hearts with love and laughter!! Thanks for sharing this. Prayers lifted for all. xo

Susan~aredheadonthego said...

Mari please accept my condolences. It sounds like Esther’s life was well lived. Hold your Dad’s hand a little tighter. It’s the best medicine for him. Big hugs.

Debi said...

So sorry for the loss of your beloved aunt. She sounds like a real treasure.

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, and that it took me so long to see this post. I still have to limit my time on the computer due to my retinal tears so sorry It's taken me a while to get here.