Pages

Monday, June 13, 2016

Fun at the nursing home

I was at work this past weekend and it was kind of a crazy few days.  We thought perhaps there was a full moon, but not this time!  Here's a few examples.

One of our residents used to be a nurse.  She is quite a character and usually thinks she is working with us.  She has strong opinions and has no trouble voicing them!  One of our male residents was quite verbal in the Dining room at brunch and she came out to inform us that she didn't think the speaker we had gotten was very good.  As she was talking to us, our activity director came to the nurses station.  She told the activity director that her pants looked like "overalls" and her shoes looked like something a man would wear.  The activity director (who was enjoying this conversation) said "at least my shirt is nice".  The reply was "I wouldn't wear that shirt anywhere!"  You just have to laugh!

Another of our residents used to farm and often talks about the barn and cow, but this time he was sure he was sitting on a horse and he wanted to get off.  We got him up, walked him, sat him in another chair, even helped him into bed, but still - he wanted to get off the horse.  He was so frustrated with us because we wouldn't help up.  "Can't I get any help around here?"  What is the matter with you people?"  "I told you, Get me off this horse!"  He finally tired himself out and fell asleep.

Another lady wanted to go home and kept setting off alarms by opening doors.  Just when we thought she was settled down away from a door, and she would go down the other hall and open that one.  (She is quick!)

I was eating my lunch and the fire alarm went off!  That was the end of that lunch.  It turns out that a visitor pulled the fire alarm as she left, instead of punching in the code that's required to open our doors so alarms don't  go off.  She never stopped, just kept walking, but we had to call 911, the alarm company, the local fire department, stop the alarm, reset the system and then calm down a few residents who were scared of a fire or just scared of the noise.

And those are a few stories of life at the nursing home.  I've told you before - it's never boring!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never a dull moment for sure.
Hope you have a restful night!

Terra said...

Wow what stories. So far I am enjoying being a volunteer at a retirement home/memory center.

LL Cool Joe said...

Oh my you are a saint. It sounds like there is never a dull moment. The story about the lady criticising the clothes cracked me up.

Doris said...

Oh yes, never a dull moment! There are aspects of my previous employment that I miss....some of which is the not so dull stuff :)

Patsy said...

Never a dull moment is right LOL
We have one that lives next door, Sunday as people were getting the bus for church she came around with her long house robe on.
It want be long something really bad Or funny is going to happen.

Linda said...

{{{Smiles}}} I agree with Patsy, never a dull moment.

Arlene G said...

Oh Mari...how you deal with this on a daily basis and remain sane is a tribute to your calling. :) I remember working in a nursing home while a student and I needed the orientation board to tell me what day it was by the end of my rotation there. So glad God calls sweet people like you to do this job.

Terri D said...

Just spending a day with my grandmother last month allowed us to see some of this going on there too. And Joe and I set off the door alarm - twice - because we weren't fast enough! God bless all nurses and staff, everywhere, but especially those who care for our elderly loved ones.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

The stories are so funny and makes me remember my Aunt. She worked at a VA mental hospital and would come home telling us stories similar to yours. You have to laugh and smile or go nuts! lol

Stephanie said...

Oh Mari, what a fun and exciting job you have :) My sister used to work with Alzheimer patients and she always had cute stories like yours. Bless you, sweet Mari.

Have a lovely Tuesday! Hugs!

Kari said...

oh wow....thanks for the giggle.
never a dull moment for sure!

Sally said...

It's good there are things to smile about, Mari. Thanks for sharing these with us.

xoxo

Judy said...

Oh what stories you have, you should write them all down and make a book.

Amy at love made my home said...

The stories can be amazing at times can't they!

Laura said...

Too funny! What must it be like to not care what you say anymore!?

Cherdecor said...

I am guessing that this is almost a daily activity to some degree or another. There is never a dull day at your work.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

That does sound like a full moon kind of a week! Lol I think you and I could pool our stories together and write quite a funny book. ;)
xoox

rebecca said...

Sounds like somewhere else I know!
Bless your heart! Your good humor and caring heart are SO necessary and such a blessing to the residents and their families.

Jenny said...

Oh dear! I guess your patience and sense of humor come in handy every single day. xoxo