Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2007

We're on vacation!

We have made it to Charleston. It is sunny and warm. We had a great trip down here, complete with lots of laughter! We made an unplanned trip to the Creation Museum in Kentucky. We were driving and saw a sign for it; it is a place we always thought would be interesting to visit so we stopped. You could spend a lot of time there, but we hurried through to see as much as we could. It was really interesting and worth the stop. Below is part of the Noah's Ark exhibit that is set up to show what the walls of the ark may have looked like.

These are pictures of the gardens at the museum. We really enjoyed walking through them.

We stayed in Knoxville Tennesee Saturday night. We had a really nice hotel room, but our night was disturbed by a group of drunks in the parking lot below us. I won't go into what we found on the pavement in the morning, along with the beer bottles.
We made a stop at the Biltmore estate today. What a beautiful place. I couldn't take pictures inside, but here is a view of the outside. There are 3 kitchens, 43 bathrooms, tons of bedrooms and sitting rooms. The house alone covers 4 acres. There are also famous paintings and sculptures. It was incredible.

Here is a view of the back porch.


The gardens here were designed by the same man who designed Central Park. They go on forever and each garden is different from the others.

We arrived in Charleston around 6:00. After checking in, we went to get some supper. We were walking, when what did I see walking across the parking lot near me? A cockroach! Bob was not very happy with me when I stopped to take a picture of it (Which was not easy - they move fast), but I knew my readers would want to see it as it was the first cockroach I've ever seen.

After supper, we went for a drive to see the ocean. I drove, because Bob was tired of driving. Because I was driving, I recieved the blame for getting us lost! There are lots of 1 way streets here, but I was only listening to my passengers directions. We did find our way back, although we only sawe a small harbour of the ocean. That's it for now - more adventures tomorrow!

post signature


13 comments:

A Captured Reflection said...

What a fabulous place, these photos are gorgeous and it looks like lots of fun! I've never been to South Carolina. Well I've never been many places in the States - LA, lots of times, Nashville, New York - that's it for me, it all looks wonderful. Have a great time.

Anonymous said...

That's a Palmetto bug!! Yuck. I hate them. Ginormous cockroachs that live in South Carolina. You will find that everything else is splendid, though. I hope you have fun meeting Dena. I wish I could be there. Enjoy your trip!

Megan Cobb said...

OH I'M SO EXCITED you got to see the Biltmore House! WOW. It's amazing, isn't it? And you should see it all decked out for Christmas... there's nothing like it.

And yay for your first Palmetto bug, too. A little greeting committee for you! :)

You'll probably enjoy Charleston more on foot once you're rested. Driving down there sorta detracts from the experience. ;)

Terri said...

Look at all the education you are getting already. Glad you could make it to the Creation Museum. The Bilmore House looks incredible. How many of our houses could we fit inside that one? Can't wait to see more pictures!!

Dena said...

I can't believe you came to SC and THAT'S what yo took a picture of! Girl you so funny - you should count how many of those you see this week!

You have already had a beautiful trip - the Biltmore is gorgeous! And so were the gardens!!! I can't wait to see all the things you will be doin' while you're here!

Melissa said...

wow! that Biltmore house is amazing!!! it sounds like you're having a great time!!! and congrats on seeing your first cockroach, i can't believe you've never seen one before! i can just see you running across the parking lot trying to snap a picture of that bug :)

Rebekah said...

beautiful pictures. I have family in Knoxville. I always like to pronounce it like its spelled :)

Anonymous said...

The gardens are beautiful!! All of them.
I want to see the Creation Museum---thnaks for the pics.
The Biltmore house is exquisite. Keep the pictures coming.

Cheri said...

It was so nice to hear your voice last night!
So glad you're all having a good time- it looks so beautiful!!
Keep posting- loving seeing the pictures.
Cheri

Anonymous said...

43 bathrooms! 3 kitchens! Wow, that must have been quite the place. I'd get lost in it if that was my house.

Anonymous said...

Wow Mari, looks just like Jamestown to me, hehe! Naw, I've always heard that South Carolina is gorgeous. Maybe someday I'll get there, too.

By the way, we have those yucky cockroachs here, too. I found one in my shower up at church camp by Silver Lake one time. That's when I finally realized I wasn't such a girly girl anymore :)

Have a great time!

Rmomof3 said...

Looks beautiful! Can I come join you?

XOXO,
Renee

Bonnie said...

You tae great pictures ! I especially love the one of the bridge in the gardens !! Amazing !!