Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Growing old gracefully

I read a devotional recently about Asa. Asa was a king in the Old Testament. He started his reign well. However, he didn't finish well. In the words of this devotion - "Asa was a grumpy old man".
He began to depend on his own ideas rather than trusting God. When God sent a prophet who told him he was foolish for not depending on the Lord, he became angry and put the prophet in prison. "Asa was angry with the prophet because of this; he was so enraged that he put him in prison. At the same time Asa brutally oppressed some of the people. " This devotion goes on to say that there are two types of Christians - those who complain about how bad things have gotten, how rotten kids are, how they don't like the music or the pastor. Then there are those who read their Bibles, pray for their kids, grand kids and others. They worry about the important matters and don't fret over things that won't matter in the end. When you think about Christians who have made an impact on your life, has it ever been those who complained? It hasn't been for me. Those who impact me, and who are the biggest blessing are usually those who are wearing a smile and showing their faith by the life they lead. Behaviors become ingrained in people and as we grow older it is harder to change them. It's important to consciously think about the way you view things and pray for help in maintaining a positive outlook because the attitude you have now will only become more entrenched as you grow older. What type of senior saint will you be - crotchety or Christlike?

PS - don't forget to sign up for the giveaway below!




post signature

8 comments:

Laura said...

That's a great reminder. Although I don't feel old yet, I still want to be the type of person that doesn't leave a bad taste in others mouths, and I want to remember that as I get older I need to remember those things too.

Megan Cobb said...

So true, so true. There's been a lot of complaining lately, too. That was a nice kick in the pants!

Unknown said...

Wow, did that come at the right time or what??!! Very good reminder... Thanks...

Terri said...

Good reminder. There are a lot of both of those people in the church. And the ornery ones - no one likes to spend time with. We'll have to keep reminding each other of this.

Rebekah said...

very good post. My brother and I were just talking about this issue

Cheri said...

It's so true- I know I've been guilty of complaining too- thanks for the reminder

A Captured Reflection said...

What a great post and so true! I don't want to end up an old grumpy so and so. How cool, I did not realise Terri was your sister. What a small world!

Anonymous said...

Amen sister!!