Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2007

End of vacation

This is Andy with his "battle buddy", Private Brown. They are each assigned to one person for their entire time of basic training. Andy said that some people had a hard time because they had a bad partner, but he said he was lucky and got someone who was a good worker and fun to be around. Their partner was also the person they pulled night shift with.

Here his platoon is, lining up one last time after graduation. The middle one, in the back row is Andy.

We surprised Andy on Saturday by all wearing t-shirts that Laura had made up. When he was younger, Laura started called him a nickname that he banned us from using when he got older. Laura never really listened to him and somehow she got away with it. After he left for basic training, he signed some of his letters with this name. So - Laura had t-shirts for each of us that said something with that name. Mine said - "got "nickname"? Bob's said "Member of the N.B.F.C. (National nickname Fan Club), Heather's said - "I heart nickname". You get the idea? I can't reveal the name or he will never forgive me! Anyway - he got a good laugh on Saturday when he saw us all wearing these shirts? Throughout the day, several peopla asked what the shirts meant. On Saturday, we drove Andy to Virginia to his next station. We stopped at the Ripley's Believe it or not Museum. The figure you see is a life size version of the tallest man on record. He was 9 feet tall. In the picture is Aaron, who is 6'6" and me measuring in at only 5'4". It was nice to do something lighthearted and goofy before we dropped Andy off.

We brought Andy to Fort Eustis where we weren't able to see his next living quarters. They took him and sent us on our way. To his disappointment, he wasn't able to keep his laptop. He did call us already though and told us that he will have free time to call, he has 3 nice guys in the room with him and one of his friends from basic is in the same building. Once again he is upbeat and feeling good, so I'm okay too!

Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Terri said...

Why can't he keep his laptop yet? How long is this next set of training? Is Private Brown with him in Virginia too? Glad you all made it home. I can't wait to be able to talk to you so I find everything out. Welcome back home!

Zaankali said...

Nicknames are a funny thing... I am the only one aloud to call Anna(Georgiana) "George". If anyone else does it (esp. siblings) she doesn't like it. I try to be aware of who is around me when I use it so it isn't someone who would "use it against her". Although whenever I do use it I always get funny looks from people. Most people don't realize her given name is Georgiana so I guess it seems like a really stange thing to be calling her. :-)

Rebekah said...

Wow! That guy is tall.
I know my MIL had a very hard time when her youngest son joined the Marines. I will be praying for you

Megan Cobb said...

That shirt idea! How cute! I love it. I am so intrigued about the nickname though. Worse than Bean? Hugs hugs hugs... I bet it'll be nice to get HOME after all this trooping around.

Melissa said...

Sounds like your trip was great. That's a bummer he can't keep his laptop, I was hoping he'd be able to email and Facebook. If you want to put pics on your profile, follow the steps Jen left on my site :)

Dena said...

Now I am DYING to know what that nickname is! you might have to tell me in SUPER DUPER SECRET! Andy looks great and I know it was just sooo good to see him - how exciting that you will be able to talk to him more often - That tall man wax guy is funny- cause Aaron is TALL and that makes him look shrimpy!

Anonymous said...

How great was your idea with the shirts!!! When our daughter came home from Texas a couple of years ago and surprised us, she came in the house and I called her by her nickname much to her embarassment. Her friends with her cracked up. I learned a good lesson that day.

You are in my prayers these days as once again you must let your son go. Thanking God that He is holding him and watching over him as well as over your heart.

Cheri said...

I love the shirt idea- too funny!
I'm glad you were able to do something fun before you had to drop him off to take your mind off of it.
Cheri

The Birds Nest said...

It's so great to get silly!! I'm sure he loved it, even if he doesn't like his nickname. Too fun!

LeslieW. said...

I am sooo glad you got to be there for that and I am also glad you got to have so much fun along the way!