Pages

Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day

Today we had our annual picnic with my Dad's family. He comes from a family of 10. There were 5 boys and 5 girls. One sister died when she was 2 and the oldest sister died about 10 months ago. The others are all living and live fairly close to each other. They have remained a close family and frequently do things together. There are lots of cousins and we remain close also. Here is my Dad (3rd from left) with 3 of his brothers.






There is always plenty of food at these gatherings!



The park we go to every year is beautiful, with a small stream and ponds. It seems every year at least 1 kid gets soaked!
These are 2 of my nieces; Shaelyn and Halle.


Here is Heather (in the middle) with my nieces Chelsea and Katelyn.
We feel that we have really been blessed to be members of this family. All of the brothers and sisters are Christians. All of their kids are Christians and many of the great grandchildren are Christians. These people are not Christians in name only. They show their faith by the way they live and have testified to it when they have gone through hard times. They are also a lot of fun. There is no gathering that does not include lots of laughter and practical jokes! We have often said that our Grandma had her hands full raising this household of pranksters.





11 comments:

Unknown said...

What a nice entry.
I can see you've had a great day.

Cheri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheri said...

The pictures turned out nice. We've said it before but I'll agree with you again- it's a HUGE blessing to be part of this family. It's something I'm always greatful for!

Unknown said...

What a great family, I'm so jealous, isn't it wonderful to have everyone so close!!!

Terri said...

I love the pictures that you took. I want some of the girls. I've always been proud to be part of this family. I think we took it for granted growing up that all families were like ours, but now I see different. We are part of a great family.

Bonnie said...

Mari,

That looks like so much fun !! My family has a family reunion once a year and it is fantastic ! It's been happening for over 50 years and we all look forward to it every year ! You are right when you say you are blessed being part of such an amazing family !! It is not that common these days ...

I take my hat off to your Dad's mother ! I think anyone who raises 10 kids is INCREDIBLE !!

Rebekah said...

My dad passed away 2 years ago. Today would have been his 71 birthday. Your pictures sparked some memories in me today that I am sure I will ponder all day. Good tears of wonderful memories

Moss & Fern Cottage said...

Mari
Thank you for your comforting words of not only sympathy, but empathy. Losing your child is something a mother never wants to experience and we miss our Gracie so much. But we know she is up there telling her brothers and sisters how much we are going to love them :) I was amazed by all the support we received. Even just a simple card or email brought me so much peace. So thank you.

I love reading about how close your family is and how often you guys get together. When it comes down to it... family is all that really matters right :)

Sarah Markley said...

To a California girl like me, this looks like heaven! I'm glad you had fun!

Laura said...

Did you notice Grandpa is the only one without a hat on? :)

I said to Aaron on the way home - you know, we NEVER would have done some of the things they did when they were little - they were naughty! And Aaron said, well, they didn't have TV or video games, so something had to keep them busy!

Anonymous said...

How awesome Mari, family is so very important.I do not have my parents with me anymore, and I tell you I sure do miss them,Enjoy and cherish the moments you have with them. looks like you all had fun.