Pages

Monday, September 24, 2007

Hello from beautiful Charleston!

We have had a great day today. I have some pictures for you but I can't get blogger to upload them, so I am just posting and may have some pictures later. It is hot and very humid here! For those of you that know Heather, you would be amazed at her hair today. Laura says she has never seen here look like this. Her hair is quite curly today. When she was young, her hair used to curl in the humidity, but we haven't seen it curl like this since. (Sorry - I should have taken a picture of it!) Also - I was wearing sandals with straps on them and now my feet are striped! Laura and I have decided that we are far to wimpy to live here - we are wilting in the heat. I keep thinking of Andy running miles in his camo uniform in the heat, and it is cooler now than it was.
Anyway - We started our day by crossing the new Arthur Ravenal Bridge. It was opened in 2005 and is a work of art. We went on to Patriots Point. This is where the Yorktown is stationed. It is an aircraft carrier from WWII. It is huge. We climbed more steps, up and down going through the 5 different tours on this ship than you would believe. We wished we had started counting the flights of stairs at the beginning of the day. As you can imagine - Bob was in his glory. He just loves this stuff! We also went to Fort Sumter. It is on an island off the coast. This is where the civil war started. There isn't much of the original structure left, but what is there is interesting. We took a sightseeing boat out to it, and on the way back we saw dolphins jumping out of the water. When I get my pictures to post you will see that I didn't get any great pictures of that, but you can see a fin in the water! Bob said to tell you all that there were sharks in the water.
After we went back to the hotel and tried to make ourselves look presentable, be took a drive to Battery Park. It's located next to the ocean and has lots of old monuments. We enjoyed walking through it except when a flock of pigeons "attacked" Laura. We saw Rainbow Row, which are really old townhouses painted in many bright colors. This sounds like it would look awful, but it is a beautiful street. There are so many gorgeous old homes here, it is fun to just walk around and look at them.
I think that's all for now. Cheri - we are so glad to have the GPS. We would be perpetually lost without it - probably still driving around!


post signature

6 comments:

Cheri said...

The GPS is awesome isn't it!!
I can't wait to see the pictures. I hope you got one of the Seagulls attacking Laura. I bet you guys are just laughing all day long!!
Cheri

Megan Cobb said...

Wow! I'm so excited you saw some things on my list! :) And jealous. I hope it cools off for you... there's nothing like the Carolina coast with the nip of fall in the air. Sigh. My parents arrive down there for a month right after you leave. Lucky lucky parents!

Terri said...

Glad to see that you are posting stuff. I would love to be there. It looks beautiful. I also would like to see the seagulls and Heather's hair.

Dena said...

It is soooo humid here! but hey with scenery like this it's hard to complain!

It is the FRIENDLIEST city in the country - even the seagulls like to say hello!!!!

Anonymous said...

The humidity is a killer. I am originally from Illinois and I almost croaked when I first moved down here. After 17 years down here, I am used to it except for my poor hair. I look like a ball of fuzz when it's really humid:) You've got it good right now. You should feel it in July and August:)

LeslieW. said...

That is so funny that you think it's so hot! The weather has been beautiful! A month ago you would have had to stay in the car and only come out at night!

PS the fried okra is best with ketchup...like all fried food!