Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hey Ya'll

We are having a great time here! We started this morning by visiting Boone Hall, which is an old plantation. There have been 3 movies taped here; The North and the South, Queen and The Notebook. The picture below shows the view as you drive up. The road in is lined with live oaks and is really spectacular.This is the front of the plantation, which we enjoyed touring, although it is not the original plantation. It is actually the fourth building and was built in the 1930's.
This is the oldest live oak on the plantation. It is over 600 years old.

Here is one the the buildings that housed slaves. This plantation made bricks, so their seconds were used for these buildings.

After we left Boone Hall, we called Dena and to find out how to get to Market. She was a great tour guide and told us how to get there. Below is a picture of the Market. It covers quite and area and is filled with all kinds of vendors. We had fun walking through it - and we made a few purchases.

On the suggestion of our other tour guide - Megan, we went to Sullivans, on Sullivan Island. Below is a picture of my plate, to prove that I ordered fried okra! I actually had fish too, which isn't my favorite thing, but it was all very good. This was a restaurant that we would have never found on our own; it seems to be more of a local spot, so we were really glad to have that suggestion. Everyone tasted the okra, but I'm sorry to report that Aaron and I were the only ones who liked it.
After supper, we drove to Isle of Palms and went to the beach. We all walked in the Atlantic Ocean, which was surprisingly warm.
We finished the night with a stop at Ben and Jerry's for ice cream. We had a fun day and felt like we really got to enjoy some local things. Thanks Megan and Dena, for sharing your beloved Charleston with us. We think it's great!

post signature


14 comments:

Megan Cobb said...

Aw. I am so very flattered that you were attentive to my little ramblings about where to go. I'm glad you've had a good time. And that fried okra made me cry a little, and Al too. Ah, Sullivans. Sniffle. What next??

Megan Cobb said...

OH! I can't remember what's on your agenda for tomorrow but if you feel like hotdogs, find Jack's Cosmic Dogs. Been tauted by Alton Brown (Food Network) as the best dog joint anywhere. Just ask around... someone will know... it's on the way to IOP and Sullivan's. Another "local" experience not to be missed. Onion rings and fries... yum.

M

Sandra said...

I'm late getting here but I LOVE your pictures and I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. The plantation house you mentioned where the 3 movies were recorded at, is just beautiful :)

Thank you for sharing your pictures and thanks for making me hungry, it's 9pm and I'm craving okra LOL

Bonnie said...

Looks like you are having a great time !!! I'm impressed that you are blogging while on vacation ! Now, that's dedications !! :)

Terri said...

The plantation is so cool. Katelyn and I love the movie, Notebook, so that's really neat. I'm not so sure on that okra though. It's good to give it a try while you're there though. Do you get to see Andy today? Also looking forward to pictures of Dena and her store!!

Anonymous said...

So fun being on vacation with you. You are really there right? I still have not seen your cute little face. Thanks for sharing all the great places you visited. Makes home really boring. I here there is a really nice park on Hughes Drive by my house, hehe. I'll post photos for you sometime. It's right by the middle school we went to :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, we had some of that fried okra in Texas. It's not bad, but all that fried stuff is too hard on my body. It is really fun to try some new stuff though. I so hope you get to meet your blogger friend!

Melissa said...

mmmm...fried okra :)

Short Stop said...

I SO wish I was on vacation with you. It looks like you all are having a GREAT time and seeing some amazing things. I remember that plantation from North and South. Why on earth my parents let me watch that mini-series when I was like 10, I'll never know!

SO glad you're sharing the pics while you're away!!

Cheri said...

I'm so glad you're having a good time but I'm ready for you to be home again. I can't wait to hear about your day today meeting Dena.
Too much fun!

Sarah Markley said...

This trip really looks heavenly! I've never been there, but it looks like one I should add to my list; but I am sorry to say that I really have never had fried okra - not a big menu item in SoCal. But I am up for anything! =)

Sarah Markley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rmomof3 said...

Good for you on trying the okra! Sorry it wasn't a huge hit, I guess it is an acquired taste!
It sooo looks like you are all having a blast! The plantation is absolutely gorgeous and I would have enjoyed wandering around the market with all of you!

Sweet blessings!
Renee

Anonymous said...

You title- Hey ya'll. That's cute! It looks like you are having so much fun. Have you had boiled peanuts yet? Another SC favorite. A must try- you either love them or hate them. I love them. Husband hates them. But try them. Let me know.