Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Works for me Wednesday


It's time for Works for me Wednesday again. Today Shannon is doing something a little different with this. Instead of a household hint, she is asking for parenting advice. I think the household hints are a lot easier! I have been thinking about what to write about and I can't come up with any one specific tip. Of course, the most important advice is to raise your kids to know the Lord, as that impacts them into eternity! I think the other thing I would say is to be consistent. When you discipline them, don't threaten them but then when they whine, let them get away with it. Follow through and be consistent. Be consistent about how you expect them to behave. If you let something go one time, but yell at them the next time they don't know how to act. Of course this is easier said than done, and I am feeling like one of those old ladies who forgets what is was like to have young kids! Really, I haven't - my kids are young enough that some of our battles are quite fresh in my mind. (and I didn't follow my own advice every time either!) Of course, make sure you have some fun and laughter along with the discipline! I'll be anxious to see what some other bloggers have to say about this. If you would like to see more parenting tips visit Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer.

4 comments:

Megan Cobb said...

Great advice. I strive for being 100% consistent with Bean, but even just with HER to deal with it's tough. I wonder how people with several children can possibly even stay AWARE of all of their behavior, much less consistentl discipline. I think I'd have to have a stockade or something! :) I'm JUST KIDDING!

Laura said...

I'm not a parent yet - but I think your advice is great. From what I see around me, the biggest problem seems to be that parents are letting kids rule instead of the other way around. When we're at a store it always makes me sad when I see a kid begging for something and the mom saying, no, no, no, and then finally, oh okay, but nothing else today. Aaron and I always look at each other and say "Yeah, right. I'm sure that kid gets something at every store they go to."

It's also important for parents to be a united front. The kids should never feel that they can battle their mom and dad against each other to get what they want.

Again, easier said than done, and I'm not a parent yet, but we're going to work hard to implement those things when we are parents.

And like you said, fun is good too - I'm lucky to have really fun, good parents! :)

Unknown said...

You are also wise & it shows in the behavior of your children.. Congrats to you & Bob for good parenting... of course there is always, Heather, no just kidding!!!

Anonymous said...

wow yes being consistent is so very important.Great advice.