Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sunday Devotional


I know several people who have been going through difficult times. Some have health problems, some are dealing with family members health issues, others have other types of family problems. When we are in the middle of these situations, it can be hard to feel Gods' presence. Today, I heard a message about this in church, then came home to find another thing about this in a devotional and then read another article in a magazine. After all that, I thought perhaps I was meant to share it! The scripture that was used this morning was from Isaiah 43:1-3. "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy one of Israel, your Savior". Isn't that an awesome verse? God isn't saying that nothing will happen to us, as Christians. He is telling us that no matter what happens to us in this world, He will be with us, and nothing can permanently harm us, because although we may be harmed physically or even die, we will be with him in Heaven. The devotional I read reminded me that God has a plan for each of our lives, and everything that happens to us, can help to see that plan out. When I have been worried or stressed about things, it has always helped me to remember that God is in control! That's a good thing because he is so much smarter than I am. God certainly knows what is best for me, although at times I have wished that he would just explain out loud what he was thinking! Now, I am certainly not saying that I always remember this and leave my worries with God. Just ask my family - I have my stress filled, worrying times. At times like that, we need our Christian friends to stand by us and pray with, and for us. I have one other great verse to leave you with, from John 14:27.
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid".

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Good to remember as our team leaves for Haiti on Saturday! Thanks for sharing that, Mari!

Cheri said...

It was an interesting service today- I don't think it could have been any more meant for me to hear!
You're right that it's sometimes hard to feel God when you're in the middle of things- thanks for praying me through this!

Anonymous said...

Mari, I had almost the same message at my church. going through bad times. the key is go through it to the other side.how cool. then what i wrote on my blog, WOW!! HE IS SPEAKING :) are we listening? thanks for sharing.

Megan Cobb said...

What a great post... one of the most powerful messages for me, really. But I think it's also so tempting to forget that He's in control when everything's peaceful and wonderful, too. We want to believe we've brought about our 'perfect lives' using our own strength and talents. But those are the times to pray prayers of thanksgiving and praise... because the good times came from Him as well. Listen to me I sound like I'm preaching! ARGH. But you know what I mean?

Unknown said...

Great reminder for all of us, I think God was speaking to alot of us today!!! Thanks for the post.

Rmomof3 said...

Thanks for the precious reminder!

Our pastor preached out of Romans and Galatians - but it was a similar kind of message today - and he went so far as to say - if God doesn't have you in some kind of spiritual battle - then you probably aren't where He wants you to be!

Renee

Saija said...

i was just saying to the Lord tonight, "Thy will be done ... " ... to submit to His authority ... to know He knows my next step and answers my prayers in the way that is the best for me - which may not be exactly the way i want it to be - but, i submit ...

blessings on you ... and God's Peace ...

Laura said...

A good reminder. It's hard to remember sometimes in the middle of those things that we're not alone.

Anonymous said...

Amen!!! What an awesome message it was at church and to read again here!!!! I think I am going to work on memorizing these verses!!
Thanks for reposting Mari!!