Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Slow Cooking Thursday


Today is Slow Cooking Thursday! The recipe I am posting in one I make frequently. It is great for potlucks - I rarely have anything left when I bring this. It is also one of my easiest recipes. To see more great crock pot recipes visit Sandra at Diary of a SAHM
Cheesy Hash Brown Potatoes
2# bag Southern Style Hash Brown potatoes, thawed
1 can cream of chicken soup
16 oz sour cream
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
8 oz grated cheddar cheese
chopped ham to taste (optional)
Stir together the soup, sour cream, onion, salt and pepper. Then stir in the potatoes and ham. Cook on low 6-7 hours.
*I use low fat soup and sour cream and haven't noticed any difference in taste
* Make sure you use the southern style hash browns. I bought shredded by mistake once, and the end result was a soupy mess!

11 comments:

Totallyscrappy said...

Sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

This looks very good. Thanks for sharing!

Megan Cobb said...

MMMMM... As Bean would say, "Dat sounds A-wishus!" I can't wait for a reason to make this one...

Laura said...

I agree - thanks to you I make this one for nearly every potluck too and it's always completely scraped to the bottom. Everyone always loves it.

Anonymous said...

yum! That sound de-lic-ious!! Happy Thursday.

Sandra said...

Oh YUM, could it get any better than potatoes AND cheese???

Another one I'm saving and trying soon :)

Thank you!

Hugs,
♥Sandra

Renee said...

I love all these wonderful potatoe dishes this week. This sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

Amy said...

I have a similar recipe that does use the shredded version... I'll have to see what the difference is, because mine don't come out soupy. Anyways, this looks really good- I'm putting it on my to-try list!

Tooz said...

Question: When you do this in the crock pot, when do you put the shredded cheese in? Does it go in at the beginning with the cream cheese? I bake this same dish pretty often, and I put the cheese in at the beginning, but I don't know if that would work in the crock pot. Thanks.

Tooz said...

Whoops I meant sour cream, not cream cheese! That sounds a little yucky to me right now.

Mari said...

The shredded cheese goes in with the other ingredients. I haven't had any problems with putting it in right away!