Pages

Tuesday, June 13, 2023

More fun in South Carolina

 On Monday, we started our day at the Musgrove Mill Historic site. (You may have noted, we love history!)  This is the site of another Revolutionary war battle and had some hiking trails through the area.
We hiked one of those trails and it was gorgeous!


The trail started near this open field.








It went past this pond.




Then it traveled along this river.








There was even a small waterfall.



When we finished there, we drove to the little town of Newberry to spend a quiet afternoon.


We started by having lunch at this restaurant called Figero's.  




This used to be a bank and has the old vault visible inside.  It was very classy and lunch was delicious!




This town was so cute!  I love how they painted this man on the side of the building.




Cobblestone streets were everywhere!







We stopped in this antique store.  If you've ever watched American Pickers, you may have an idea of what this store looked like.  It was loaded with stuff, and it was in no particular place.  I don't know how anyone finds anything there, but it was interesting to look at.  More interesting than the place, was the owner.  He started off by telling us Northerners weren't welcome there (our lack of a Southern accent gave us away!) but then confessed that he used to be one.  He was a talker and started telling us all about his Father, who won a Nobel Prize in 1994 for Neutron Diffraction. He even has a copy of the Nobel Prize on display.  Very interesting!




Our last stop was a visit to this Japanese garden.  It was peaceful and a beautiful place to walk through.

Then it was back in the car to drive to our next stop; a visit with our favorite pirate!

10 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

My favorites are your story about the American Pickers man, the man painted on the building, and the cobblestone streets. I love going on this adventure with you!

Sandi said...

Imagine if the soldiers of that era could see us now, wandering through the battlefield in our flip flops!

Donna said...

The garden is beautiful! And how interesting to hear him talk about his father and the Nobel Prize!
hugs
Donna

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

More beautiful history. And what a quaint area. Love the buildings and all the cobblestone! I remember that place form Pickers - used to watch that show all the time! I would have loved checking that out. So cool!! That garden looks so serene and absolutely beautiful. Can't wait for the next M&B journey update. ;)

happyone said...

I'm sure I'd enjoy the walk. :)
Great pictures!!

Deb J. in Utah said...

That does look like a beautiful, trial, in a historic place. I love visiting places like that. The town of Newberry looks like a fun and interesting place to spend a relaxing day. That store that was on American Pickers would be fun to browse in. Thanks for sharing this fun trip!

Debby said...

I've been meaning to get over here to post - Blogger won't let me make comments on my phone so I have to use the desktop.

I love history too and would totally LOVE to go there. I love that part of the country. I used to travel around there visiting relatives that are now gone. Good times and so much history to absorb.

Susan said...

Beautiful pictures! Japanese gardens are so serene. We went to one while in Hawaii. Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Terri D said...

What a great day! I LOVE that river with the waterfall. I could live right there, with that in my backyard!! I really enjoy The American Pickers! How fun! xo

Catherine said...

Such beautiful places nature and village