Pages

Wednesday, June 14, 2023

The Hostess with the Mostest!

 Now we come to the part of our vacation that the other parts were planned around.  My dear friend Jenny (also known as Jenny the Pirate) has been a blog friend for years.  We were talking and trying to figure out how long we've known each other and it's been at least since 2009 and probably longer. We've met in person once, but e-mail, text and sometimes talk on the phone too.  Bob's gotten to know her and even my granddaughters know who Jenny the Pirate is.  :)
We've both invited each other to visit, but it's not easy with the distance; she is in South Carolina and I'm in Michigan. We decided this was the time for that visit and she insisted we stay with them.
Late Monday afternoon we arrived and were warmly welcomed!


It was fun to go into her house and see in real life, things I've seen on her blog so often - like her table filled with photos under glass.

TG and Jenny were so very good to us, putting us up in a room that rivaled any hotel or bed and breakfast.  It was beautiful and so very comfortable. I would share a photo, but it's not my home to share pictures of bedrooms, so you'll have to take my word for it.

We had a yummy supper, I'll share some recipes later, and a great night of talking and fellowship with the two of them.

The next day, Jenny had made some plans for us.


It was D-Day, so we started at Fort Jackson National Cemetery to pay our respects.  Is there anything more touching than a cemetery with all those stones laid out so perfectly, and the flag at half mast?



Jenny is officially a taphophile; someone who is passionate about cemeteries.  Jenny writes for a cemetery magazine, takes lots of cemetery photos and helps update the Find-a grave website.  Some may think this is morbid, but it's far from it.  It is so interesting to walk around these places, reading the headstone, looking at the statuary and honoring those who have passed. Bob and I also love old cemeteries, but in our area they don't have this kind of history.
TG and Jenny took us to the Quaker cemetery which was founded in 1759.  It now covers an area of 400 acres, and is truly beautiful.




These two graves were both military graves and were medal of honor recipients.  Another grave site we saw was for 3 brothers, who were all killed in WWII, within 1 1/2 years.



This section had such old stones in it, several of which were for young children.



We also visited a Redoubt; a military shelter which was built by the British during the Revolutionary war.




This is called the Camden Oak. It's near that British Redoubt and it was a sapling, when George Washington was in this area, inspecting that redoubt.



We visited this battlefield, a battle that occurred during the Revolutionary War. 



We then went into the city of Columbia.  This is the Trinity Episcopal Church. Building on it started in 1845.



It also has a historic cemetery. The live oak tree in it, is said to be in the very center of Columbia.



Here's Jenny and I; we were hot but having such a good time!



We walked across the street to the Capitol Building, a beautiful building with such pretty landscaping.




That night, Jenny had another lovely meal for us - and her kids and grandkids that live in the area came.  I forgot to take this picture until after we had eaten, but rest assured, Jenny set a beautiful table and we all enjoyed it.  It was so good to meet these kids and grandkids in person as I feel I know them so well already. 



Little Rhett is the youngest right now, but before the year is done, 2 more babies are expected in the family.

After supper, we sat out by the pool and talked.  It was a wonderful evening, spending time with these dear people.

The next morning, we left for West Virginia, feeling blessed by good friends and sweet time spent together.
Thanks Jenny and TG for being such amazing hosts and wonderful friends!




12 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I follow Jenny, so this was so interesting to me! I did not know about her cemetery thing, that is so cool!! And she even planned an interesting day of sightseeing for you both! She is truly such a warm and generous lady, someone for us all to look up to. I love the pic of the both of you!

Donna said...

Miss Jenny and TG are "good people". I've been a blogbuddy with her for years. A true Southerner with pirate tendencies...lol
I'm glad you have a wonderful visit! The hospitality... warm, and friendship, true.
hugs
Donna

Deb J. in Utah said...

Cemeteries are such interesting places. It's so cool that you could meet up with your blogging friend, Jenny. Blogging friends are just the nicest people. What a great visit!

Jeanette said...

Aww looks like a great visit and I wouldn't expect anything less from Jenny and TG! I'm glad you got to experience her as a hostess! She made your visit wonderful and interesting! Love the picture of you two!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Well girl I was thinking this morning that it would be impossible to overstate how honored we felt by your and Bob's visit, and how much we enjoyed it. It was a highlight of my year's social calendar (which you know is jam-packed, hahaha) to have the both of you in our home and to cook for you and squire you around to many places that I love so well! To host a couple who truly see and appreciate all the beauty and rich history around us, was a privilege. And then there was the sweet fellowship around the table, and sitting outside to talk and talk ... such a great time. It certainly was hot but we hope (and basically will insist) that you come back in cooler weather so that we can take you to Charleston! It's almost too much beauty to take in on a single visit, but we could try! Meanwhile know that our memories of your visit will be cherished forever and that you are always welcome here! Love you friend xoxo

Sparky said...

What a nice trip. We toured several Rev. War battlegrounds in South Carolina a few years back. I would enjoy doing that again. xx

Kim said...

Mari, I just spent some time catching up on a few of your posts. My goodness you squeezed a lot into your trip. Jenny's table is very cute and Rhett? Omigoodness that name! Darling!! It sounds like you had a wonderful visit. Your other posts were lovely, too. The pictures of the outdoor sites are amazing. You really have a way with the camera. I've never been to any of those areas, but now I want to go...and American Pickers is a favorite around here. That must've been a neat stop!! Thanks for sharing. I might be using your posts as my travel guide this summer!

happyone said...

How wonderful to meet up and spend a time with a blogger friend. :). Sounds like a wonderful time!!!

Terri D said...

Another amazing time with wonderful memories made! Cemeteries are fascinating. Joe and I always sought them out when we traveled. Meeting a blogging friend in person is always special and how fun that the kids and grandkids got to be there too! On to West Virginia!! xo

16 blessings'mom said...

I love this, you meeting up with a fellow blogger! How nice, and I do love visiting old cemeteries too. What an adventure! :)
Della

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Oh this just warms my heart! To connect with a fellow blogger friend that way. I've only been able to physically connect once with a blogger friend too. Such a special place this blogland turns out to be. ;) I think what Jenny does is endlessly fascinating. I love to walk in cemeteries as they're often so pretty and I wonder about the stories of all the people. She looks like she has a wonderfully warm and welcoming family too. Sure sounds like an amazing trip!

Catherine said...

I am sure you had a nice time spent with your blogging friend. It must be nice to meet in person.