Pages

Sunday, March 12, 2023

Happy Birthday Dad!

 Many of you know my Dad has been in Hospice care since last June.  When he signed on he was really not doing well, but then he improved and had done quite well for several months.  Recently he's been much weaker and we can see him failing, so we were thrilled to be able to celebrate his birthday on Saturday.
He turned 92 and all of us kids took him out for supper to a place he chose.  He wanted to go there, because they give you a percentage off your meal on your birthday, and the percentage matches your age.  So he got 92% off his meal!  We were paying for his meal, so really it didn't make a difference to him, but it's the idea, right?

One of the things this restaurant is known for is the money tacked up on the walls.  You see lots of $1 and $5, a few $10's too.  They collect it and donate it to local charities.



Here's our group.  I'm afraid I cut a few people out of the picture, but it was my Dad and Ann, Bob and I, my brother Duane, my sister Terri and her husband Dave and my sister Cheri and her husband Mark.



My Dad and I




When you get 92% off your meal, you get a good one!  He had prime rib, lobsters and shrimp and enjoyed every bit!





Dad has macular degeneration and is now legally blind, so Terri was reading his cards to him.




Dad and Ann.


I have been blessed with the best Dad.  He was a hard worker and lived out his faith.  He always did and still does show us how much he loves his family.  He has such a great sense of humor and even now, when I take him to appointments or when he sees his doctor, people always tell me how much they love him.  His hospice nurse is always messaging me to tell me how cute he is.  I agree, he is the best!  We are enjoying the time we have with him and it was so good to celebrate him this weekend!

21 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

This is a wonderful post, Mari. Your dad sounds like a really great guy. So glad you still have him with you. The restaurant you went to sounds fun too. Have a dad like that is a blessing to the entire family. :-)

Ginny Hartzler said...

You all gave him a wonderful birthday. He is looking well. My favorite is the beautiful photo of you and your dad together. It is so lovely.

Donna said...

How Fun!! 92% is such a fun idea...Glad he got what he liked!
My Dad passed in 2002...I surely miss him. Enjoy the time with yours.
hugs
Donna

Catherine said...

I am glad you could celebrate his Birthday together. We don’t have special prices here for our Birthday. I am sure he was glad to have 92per cent off! It makes his Birthday special!
( I answer your question about the little suitcase. Mine stays open all the time now. I had a look on Pinterest most of them stays open, but I am sure they can be used as real case it depends on the floor if you make the floor in one piece or two pieces. Have a good week.

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hi MARI - Happy Birthday to your DAD. Great photo of you two. The drinks look huge- what were you drinking? Cheers. KEV.

Mari said...

Hi Kev - we were just drinking Soda, but yes, they were generous with it!

R's Rue said...

Happy birthday to your dad.

Suemn said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate your dad's birthday! It's so nice that you all are watching out for him and Anne.

Changes in the wind said...

So wonderful that you were able to celebrate together and love how the resturant gives your birthday age as percentage off. Am sure they don't get many 92 percenters.

Hootin Anni said...

A sweet family you have. Loving & caring!!

Pam said...

92 percent off is great. I can't help but think of all the things your dad has seen in his life. Amazing. I know all the things I have seen in my 63 yrs. Personally, though I would not mind forgetting the things I have seen and lived through the last five yrs. Times are always changing, some for the better, some not, some comes faster and some slower....but change is what it is. Merriest Bday to your dad.

Connie said...

What a lovely and heartfelt post . . . Happy Birthday Dad!
I am so happy that you had this celebration together, and to honor this man you love so much.

Kim said...

This is a lovely post, Mari! I love that your dad got the surf and turf meal. That's awesome and I'm so happy you were all able to celebrate his birthday together.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

This just made my day and warms my heart. What a blessing! Happy birthday to "Dad"!! Keep shining sweet guy. 🌟 🎉

Jeanette said...

How wonderful that you are able to celebrate your dad still! May your remaining time with him be filled with joy!

Sparky said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad. Wonderful photos. Blessings. xx

happyone said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad. He sounds like a wonderful Dad!!!
There is a special bond between father and daughter. :)

Terri D said...

I so love this post, Mari, and that you were all able to celebrate your wonderful dad on his 92nd birthday!! What a blessing. That restaurant is pretty special to offer that birthday discount! What fun! Thanks for sharing this with us, Mari. xo

Jenny the Pirate said...

The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord! God bless your dad and grant him a lasting legacy of faith and service. I will be sad on the day he graduates to Heaven, but the angels will be rejoicing. How wonderful that you all were able to have that time with him! xoxo

Mandy said...

Yay for 92! What a blessing! I don’t even know your dad, but he just looks like the sweetest man and I enjoy all of your updates on him. So glad y’all could celebrate and he could enjoy 92% off his meal! Very well deserved!

Judy said...

Happy Birthday to your dad, he looks wonderful at 92 years young :)
What a neat idea for the restaurant to do that, his birthday dinner looks so good it's something I would order as well :)