Pages

Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Cooking Thursday

 I tried something new the other day!  I don't often make yeast breads as they intimidate me.  I have a few recipes I make but they are often time consuming.  When I saw this recipe, it seemed too quick and easy to believe, but I tried it.  And guess what?  It really was quick and easy - and good!
I split my dough in half and made one small French loaf for supper and one small loaf of cinnamon bread.  We enjoyed them both!



French Bread

1 package quick rising yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon melted butter
3 1/2 cups bread flour
Stir yeast and sugar into the warm water. Stir in salt, butter and flour. Knead for 2 minutes, then place ball of dough in greased bowl.
Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
Take out of bowl and place on floured surface.  Stretch and fold dough in on itself.  Split in half and form into 2 long, thin loaves.
Slit dough down the middle and spread a little softened butter in the slit.
Bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees.

17 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Looks so good. I should give this a try. I have made bread in a bread machine before and we really liked that. Thanks for sharing this!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yeast breads intimidate me as well. But this one does not look as scary!

Kim said...

Oh, this looks so good. Bread always intimidates me, I might try this one though. Thanks!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I feel the same way about yeast bread. They always intimidate me. I may just give yours a try. I love the idea of splitting it in half and making one cinnamon loaf. Now I am craving cinnamon bread.

Catherine said...

I had the idea of making bread, I think I will have a try!

Donna said...

Yum! It is the same recipe I use in my bread machine! And it is wonderful...
hugs
Donna

Suemn said...

This recipe looks like one I could try too. There's nothing better than homemade bread:)

Julieann said...

I love baking bread..yeast used to intimidate me, so I completely understand. Your bread looks absolutely perfect and I would love to try this recipe. Do you mind if I share this on my blog too..linked back to here?

Thank you for your sweet comment about my Dad. I will treasure my visit forever!!!

Julieann xo

Hootin Anni said...

Mmmm. Just the picture has me drooling. Warm bread with gobs of butter!!

Sally said...

Look at you! Looks so so good.

xoxo

Jeanette said...

That does look good! I don't make bread because I'm afraid I will eat the whole loaf while it's warm with butter! Yummy!

happyone said...

Love homemade bread and love to smell it baking too.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Mmmmm. Nothing better than homemade bread. 😋 During the pandemic I finally mastered making homemade bread - but I love the time saver this one looks to be! Thanks for sharing. ;)

Terri D said...

Gosh, maybe I could actually do this one! Yeast and my chemistry don't seem to mix well. I can do bread in the bread machine but when I start touching the dough, it goes flat. Thanks for sharing!

Henny Penny said...

Oh my gosh! Maybe I can actually make a loaf of bread using this recipe! Your's looks just perfect. Thank you Mari.

Pam said...

A lot seems to depend on how the yeast makes the bread rise. If its cold outside and rainy looking, I find it don't rise as well. Had the same issue before with Choc no bake oatmeal cookies. I love making bread, I just don't do it often cause, it sort stays here for just me to eat, and that is not good. However, I do give a lot away to prevent that.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I've been obsessed with making simple no-knead bread since the new year. This is a lot like my recipe and I will definitely try it! xoxo