Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2022

Winter is here, with a vengeance!

 We had a beautiful Fall that hung on for a while.  However, this past week, winter arrived in full blast.

Tuesday it started snowing.


I had the day off and was taking my Dad on some errands.  Here's how things looked in early afternoon.



A few hours later it was still snowing.



It snowed again on Wednesday.




On Thursday we were under a winter storm warning.  This is out the window at work, where the leaves had been so beautiful a few short weeks ago!   My drive home was terrible that night; ice, freezing rain, white out conditions and accidents.




On Friday the Winter storm warning continued.  I was very happy to hear that our office was closed and we all got to work at home. I'm so thankful for the ability to do that and for a place that doesn't want us going out in bad weather.  So, our table was my workplace for the day.



In the meantime, the snow continued.  I think it's time to get rid of the pumpkins.  I had hoped to keep them till Thanksgiving.





By Friday night we had 13 inches of snow, the storm warning was extended to Sunday and another 6-12 inches of snow was predicted, with blizzard like conditions on Saturday.




We had a little reprieve on Saturday morning so I used that time to run to town to get groceries.  This is our road as I returned home and it was just starting to snow again.



Shortly after noon, this is how our back yard looked as it really started coming down.




This is the view out of our front window in mid afternoon.  Bob was working and when he got home around 6, he said it was a terrible drive home.




But look what happened Sunday!  The snow stopped, and the sun came out.  I believe we ended up with about 19 inches of snow.  Grand Rapids, just a little east of us ended with 27 inches, a record for this time in November.

Next week temps are supposed to be in the 40's, so all this snow should melt.
Still - what a wild way to start Winter!

22 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a frightful drive home you had!! How wonderful that you could stay home the next day! It is really beautiful there. That poor squirrel!

Mandy said...

Wow! Y’all sure did get some snow! I hate y’all have to drive in that. I live in the South, so when we get even an inch, everything shuts down. 😂 I can’t even imagine getting this much. Glad you could work from home.

roentare said...

Such a paradise on display. Great snow scenes!

Hootin Anni said...

...and it's still a month for 'official' winter!

KEV. Robertson. said...

That is an huge amount of snow there Mari- we don't have snow here locally- though it snows further to the south of the state of New South Wales and just north of us at Katoomba...I like snow- though I imagine it would be pretty cold. Best Wishes. KEV.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari. I am glad you are safe with all the hazardous driving conditions. I had heard about all the snow in Michigan and thought of you. I hope things warm up and melt some of the snow for Thanksgiving. See you again soon!

Suemn said...

Wow! You sure got a lot of snow at one time! I am so grateful when, after the temperatures get really cold, a lovely week of warmer weather comes in don't you?

Jeanette said...

Ugh! The only good thing about living farther from one of the lakes is we don't get that lake effect snow! I'm sure by this time next week it will all be gone though!

Changes in the wind said...

Oh my, I wouldn't be ready for that. Don't know how you all drive in that and so glad you didn't have to go into work that one day.

16 blessings'mom said...

Wow, that's beautiful, but I HATE driving in it!!! Even more, I hate when my older kids drive in it. We were spared this latest round, Buffalo got hammered, and Oswego, where three of our kids live, got a bit...but here we are, 20 miles south, and green grass. It was cold and windy yesterday, but no snow. I'm glad you got a snow day and could work from home!
della

Deb said...

Yikes, you can keep all that snow! LOL We got maybe an inch or two on Tuesday, a lot of it melted on Wednesday, and then we got maybe another inch Thursday. Then the winds picked up the past few days and blew a lot of it away into drifts in the fields. Still cold here, in the 20s, but supposed to be 40 on Thanksgiving Day. I'll take it!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Whaaaaaat? Good grief! Very lovely in its way but better you than me, haaahaha! Happy Birthday week, my friend! xoxo

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Wow!!! You did get a batch of snow, and bad driving...

Here we had some snow fall, and since our temps are still so cold, it has lasted. But... just.... some!

Happy Thanksgiving
🍗🌰🍗🌰🍗🌰🍗🌰🍗

R's Rue said...

Absolutely beautiful.

happyone said...

You sure did get hit with winter!!
I love when the sun comes out after it snows!!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Holy moly! You win!! Lol We only got a few inches. It sure is pretty - but I know all too well how it's really not fun. Supposed to be mild here too. We sure get some crazy weather!! But how wonderful you can work from home too. xoxo

Julieann said...

Mari!!!! Wowee, you sure did get snow...a lot!!! It sure is pretty. I am so glad your work is accommodating keeping you safe and you were able to get groceries too.

stay warm my friend!!!
Julieann

Billie Jo said...

Well, winter sure announced its arrival at your place! That is an unbelievable amount of snow! Glad you were able to work from home and stay safe and cozy. We are also supposed to warm up a bit for a few days. I hope not too much, though! LOL Have a cozy evening, my friend.

Terri D said...

Oh my gosh, Mari!! I can't even imagine being in snow like that anymore. Yikes. Thirty-three years in Florida has spoiled me, big time. I know you will drive safely and thank goodness you can work from home when the weather gets bad. Bob gets my "drive safely" too, though I know you both do. Hugs! xo

Susan said...

It looks so pretty! I am sure it is very cold too! I am cold when it hits 50! I am a So Ca girl and it only snows in the local mountains, a 90 minute drive. Nice that you can work from home. Stay safe!

Donna said...

Here in central Texas, if it snows even an inch, we are lost!Lol
Terrible drivers...so many wrecks!
It's beautiful as long as you're snuggled up at home!lol
Be Safe!
hughugs
Donna

LL Cool Joe said...

Wow that's a lot of snow! I'm glad you were able to work from home. It's turned a great deal colder here but just wind and rain which is miserable but better than driving on icy roads.