Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2022

Moving a barn

 Many of you know that I love barns.  I grew up on a farm and have fun memories of playing in the barn when I was a kid.  I remember climbing up in the loft and jumping in the hay, visiting the cows and braiding the cords that are used for hay bales.
When I drive, I always take note of barns and the condition they are in.  Many around here are not being kept up and it makes me sad to see these old beauties fall apart.
There is a barn I see on my drive to work.  I always thought it was kind of strange looking, as its roof nearly touched the ground.
The property was sold, and surprisingly, the barn was moved.  I am sure that was quite a process, being so large!  It didn't move too far though, just to a vacant field across the street.
However they changed things a bit, by building a new base, and putting the old barn on it.  It doesn't look strange anymore, as the base is in proportion to the roof now.


The original barn has the siding on, the new part hasn't been finished yet.  It looks like it's going to have nice big doors on the front, and lots of windows too.



Here it is from the other side.  I think it's going to be a beauty when it's done, and it has a long, useful life ahead!

12 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is a gorgeous barn! and all these windows and details, I am wondering if it is a barn-shaped house that people will live in. It almost looks like three floors.

Susan said...

There are not too many barns where I live. When we drove through central Ca last week, I did take note of the barns I did see. That is a unique roof.

LL Cool Joe said...

Looks like it's being converted to a house! Beautiful!

Hootin Anni said...

Ohhh, I too spent many summer days playing in my grandparents' barn (loft with rope hanging from the roof beam ...swing out and jumping in the hay below). Glorious, happy days back then.
Great photos Mari.

Linda said...

Wow what a lovely barn,grin. Have a beautiful Monday my friend.

Donna said...

Love the barn... it should go another hundred years!
hug
Donna

Changes in the wind said...

Wow how great is that!!

Suemn said...

How wonderful to see that barn getting a new life. It looks like it'll be much loved. I wonder if the original owners of the farm are the owners now of the barn conversion.

Michelle said...

I love this barn. Very different from the ones here in KY.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I've never heard of such a thing! What a marvel that is. I am always fascinated when entire buildings are moved. Chad's parents acquired and moved the old house they live in, when he was a teenager. They have film footage of the main thoroughfare in Lexington/West Columbia being shut down for a time, to accommodate the project. Its' amazing! That barn is going to be so beautiful when they are finished. xoxo

Terri D said...

Wow! That second picture looks like a face on the side of the barn! I wonder if it is being renovated into a home? Lots of barn conversions around. Keep us posted!! xo

Kim said...

I love when people restore old barns. This post made me smile!!