Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2022

A Day in my Life - April

I'm so happy to see April arrive this year.  It really doesn't look like Spring here, but I know it's coming.
Here's how the first day of April went for me.

Here I am on my way to work.  It's 7:40 am, it's 29 degrees and there is a light dusting of snow on the ground.



About half way to work here. We live closer to Lake Michigan and get more snow.  Just 15 minutes from home and no snow on the ground here.



Here's my cubicle at work.  I get to work about 8:15 and I start at 8:30.  



I put my things away, eat my overnight oats for breakfast and get signed into the various things I use on my computer.
I have to sign into a charting app that lets me look up any patient that is in our network.  This covers 2 large hospitals and hundreds of doctors offices.  I have to be able to look up meds, orders, labs, notes, hospital visits...   And then I have to be able to put in orders for all those things, make a telephone encounter for anyone who calls in...  It's been eye opening to know what all goes on behind the scene.
I also have to sign into a phone system.  It routes calls to each person in the office, sending the call to the person who has been off the phone the longest.
We also have something called right fax, which sends faxes to our computers.  These faxes come from facilities that may have a medical concern about a patient, they can be labs, papers that need dr signatures, reports on our patients from other doctors, or prescriptions that are needed.



I've told you before that we are blessed with these large windows all around us.  We are tucked next to a golf course, so the scenery is nice.  On this day the sun came out for a bit, but the sky stayed dark.

We each get a different assignment for the day.  It may be labs and tests, or nurse follow up - which is getting all those faxes from facilities and notifying the dr and doing death certificates.  It could be the in basket, which are requests from the Dr's about getting equipment for people, setting up power of attorney paper work, or maybe its prescriptions - refilling scripts for people who call in our pharmacies that notify us someone needs something. 
On this day, the phone was especially busy. I wasn't able to finish something I was working on, before that phone would ring again.
One of the calls I took was from a man in an independent living facility.  He knew the Dr was there that day and was requesting to be seen.  It was 10:15 am and he said he was available for 12:30 to 2, and then again after 3:30.    I sent the message to the Dr, and then the man called back to say morning was ok, but he had to go to lunch at 11:30.  I had just sent that message off, when he called again and said he could go to a late lunch and could be there until noon.  :)
The Dr did fit him in!
If you are a frequent caller to your Dr office, you can be sure they know you!  And there are those who we love to talk to, and then those who we cringe when we are so blessed to be the one who got that phone call!



One of our medical assistants is moving, so we had pizza for her farewell.




Here's a cool thing about our desks.  We can raise or lower them, so when you get sick of sitting, you can raise it and work standing up for a while.



You are going to think we do nothing but eat, but I promise this is unusual!  A vendor brought in these cookies in the afternoon.  They were very good, but we cut them in half, because they were big!



Look who came to my work!  Alaina and Ruby were spending the night so they came a little before 5.  They got part of a cookie as a treat while they waited.
And they did have to wait, because shortly before we were supposed to be done, some people called with urgent needs for prescriptions - including some narcotics which take more time to fill, and someone who had taken his mother to Florida and needed the scripts called into a pharmacy down there.  Sigh....  This is a common Friday night occurrence.



Here's all the papers that had to go into the shred box, that had requests, or needed to be signed, or scanned in...   It was a busy day and we finally left about 5:15.



We met Bob at Red Robin and had some yummy burgers, the girls had mac and cheese and said this was now their favorite restaurant.





This is the fields on the way home.  It's been raining so much that there is water just setting on the fields, the ditches are full.  I wish we could share with some areas that are so dry!




The girls were excited to get out our Wii and play some games.  Here they are bowling.

After that they had their customary crackers and cheese and watched a movie.
Another new month, and another good day!

17 comments:

Debby said...

I enjoyed you sharing your day. My days are up in the air mist of the time, unless we have appointments. I like that country drive into your work. Some places in the north are slower to spring up but I’ve never heard of any place totally skipping by spring. It’s coming. Even here, I can drive into the mountains, 30 minutes away and can tell spring hadn’t totally sprung yet.

Boy you have a very complex job - I had no idea the behind the scenes. Great idea about the portable standing desk if you want.

It’s funny about all the food.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, it is exhausting to just read what you have to do in a day! You must be super-efficient! Your cubicle is big and very neat. I could tell it was cold in your first photos. How cool that Alaina and ruby saw where you work! They seem to have grown so much just since the last time I saw them! We have always really liked Red Robin. It is kind of OUR restaurant...

Susan said...

Hi Mari! Your office looks like mine did. I really like your desk and how you can raise it. I have been looking at desk that can be raised so I can stand. It is getting harder for me to sit for long periods of time. Those cookies look really good. So nice that the girls could visit you. We are going to hit the high 90's this week. Not normal, just crazy spring weather. Enjoy your week!

Hootin Anni said...

Busy, busy, busy!!

I love those work cubicles that are adjusted.

And, yes please...send us some of that rain south!!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

This job is certainly different from your previous one isn't it? Sounds like you like it and that is great. I know you enjoyed the girls - they have grown so much. Happy new week ahead.

Jean said...

I really enjoyed this inside look at your work day! I giggled when you said we would think all you do at work is eat, hahaha!!

I'm so glad you didn't have to go home and cook dinner after such a busy day. How nice that the girls could come to your job and see where you spend your days.

Sparky said...

It's still chilly here (SE Georgia) but not like where you live! Wow. Spring is holding off, isn't it?! I hope it warms up and is sunny for you soon.
That's a nice office. Makes going to work even more pleasant. And all those lovely food smells ... YUM!
The girls are so cute. They look like they're having a lot of fun.
Blessings. xx

Changes in the wind said...

Love your desk area and that you can raise it and stand for a while and all the windows!! Don't know that I would like the work you do as it seems like a lot of pressure but glad you are able to do it as it is surely needed. Good to see the girls and glad they were able to spend the night.

Suemn said...

What a busy day... It sounds like a normal day for you:) I was ready to grab one of those chocolate cookies. ha!

Terri D said...

God bless you and ALL nurses who do so much for your patients. Goodness! And those young ladies of yours! They are growing up so fast. We are finally getting a Red Robin here in Lakeland! I can't wait!! Thanks for sharing your day with us, Mari! xo

Linda said...

grinning...I always love seeing Alaina and Ruby. They have really grown up. smiles

Jenny the Pirate said...

Ah ... "customary crackers and cheese" ... what a wonderful phrase! And they brought a boxful of CRUMBL cookies to work???? Oh my word. The girls got a bunch of those for my birthday party! They're a bit on the too much side! How neat that your desk converts to a standing desk! Very cool, as are your large windows. I've probably told you this before, but when I worked in law firms I would always be more productive if I were seated in a window! I just want to see out. That Marco's pizza looks good too! We get that sometimes when we go to Ohio to see relatives. xoxo

Jeanette said...

That was a busy day but you got a bonus with your granddaughters coming there! I haven't had a Red Robin burger for a long time! I think they have really good fries, too! I had a desk like your at work and I would make it a point to stand up for the first half of the day and then sit for the second half when I got tired! I really liked it!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

God bless all that you do Lady! You are an amazing nurse and I love these pics into your world. It's so sweet your little ladies waited patiently and got to have such a fun night out with grandma & grandpa! 💕 I remember how much my kiddos used to love the wii too. 😊

LL Cool Joe said...

You do keep busy. Yes it's becoming quite the thing to stand at your computer rather than sit down all day. It's a great idea if you get the choice! Those cookies do look good!

I've been to Red Robin a couple of times but didn't think it was that great but that was years ago now so I may give them another chance as I love burgers and mac and cheese!

Katelyn R. said...

I totally understand all your work stuff from right fax to inbasket ;) we use that daily over here as well! I'm so glad you are settling in there though and I hope that overall its been a good change <3

Kim said...

I used to take my girls to visit my mom at work. The always had fun, eating treats and saying hello to the ladies in the office. We'd go for lunch and chat a bit...today is actually my mom's birthday...or would've been...so this is a lovely memory. Thanks for sharing your day, Mari. Today, the events of your day have brought a big smile to mine...xo