Pages

Monday, March 8, 2021

Happy Birthday Dad!

 My Dad is going to turn 90 this week Thursday!  We had a party for him on Saturday.  Most of the family was there.  Our Andy and Nikki are in KY so couldn't come, there were 3 other grandkids that couldn't get off work or were out of state, but the rest of the family was there.

Here's my Dad. I don't think he looks 90.  He still lives at home, bowls 3 times a week and is doing well except for his vision because he has macular degeneration.  He is rarely seen without a smile, and I'm often told by people what a great guy my Dad is.  I agree and have been so blessed to have him all these years.  I grew up thinking everyone had a happy home like I did, and when I got older, I realized more and more how very blessed I was to have the family I did.

Here's a picture of him as a kid.  I love this picture.  Can you see the mischief in his eyes?  He is the middle kid of a family of 10 kids.  The 4 older than him have passed away.  The younger ones love to share stories of the naughty things he did as a kid, and he still loves to tease and joke around.



I had prints made of some old pictures and framed them.  We had a table set up with all these pictures, and some balloons too.


We had some yummy food catered in; Chicken Parmesan, Pasta with meatballs and homemade marinara, bread sticks and Ceaser Salad.


Everyone enjoyed the meal!



Here's Cassie getting some love from Laura, Alaina and Ruby.


After we ate we played some fun games.  One was naming prices of things in 1931, which was the year Dad was born.  Then next was guessing if things were younger or older than him, and the last was choices he made - like would you rather have cake or cookies, live in the artic or the tropics, be lucky or wise.  


After that we took some pictures.
Dad and Ann.  They are cute together, and still holding hands after 12 years of marriage.  Ann will be 92 in June.


Here they are with the great grandkids; Alaina, Cassie and Ruby.



My brother Duane, sister Terri with her husband Dave in front of her, Ann, Dad, sister Cheri with her husband Mark, and me with Bob in front of me.


After taking these pictures we showed some slides.  My Dad still has slides from years ago.  Cheri snuck into his house to go through some and show pictures from years ago.
I took pics of them as they were projected, so they aren't the best pictures, but I thought these were sweet.

This is my mom with me as a baby.


Here's Dad with me at the same time.  The dog's name was Poncho and I remember having him as a kid.


After the slide, each of the grandkids shared memories of Grandpa.  This was so sweet and had us all tearing up, including Dad.

Alaina and Ruby had made this big banner.  Alaina remember swinging on the porch swing with him, Ruby remembers sharing fries and sneaking his chair!




My sister Cheri was reading all his cards to him.




We ended with birthday cake.  Such a fun celebration for a very special man.
 

23 comments:

Joyful said...

Happy birthday to your dear dad. He looks good for 90 years young!

Susan said...

Happy Birthday to your dad! You are lucky to have him so long. I love all the family pictures!

Hootin Anni said...

Oh Mari...such happy times had by all. Terrific photos,wonderful party of all together like this. No he doesn't look 90!!! Love his childhood photo too.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

What a fun birthday and I know your Dad was happy with everything. Enjoyed the pictured of 'then' and 'now'.

Arlene G said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet daddy, Mari. You can just tell by looking at him that he is a delight. So glad he was honored by his family. It is nice that we can have parties again.

DUTA said...

Lovely birthday celebration!
Your Dad looks younger than his age; may he go on celebrating birthdays with good health and happiness!

Sparky said...

What an adorable family! And 90 years old, wow! Your Dad & Ann do look so cute. Steve's (my husband) Mom will be 92 this coming October, if the LORD keeps her here 'til then. She was almost born on Halloween. She is still as spry as anything. I like to see everyone enjoying themselves and loving each other. This is so heart warming. God bless you all. xx

Martha said...

Happy birthday to your dad, he looks fantastic for his age!

Tracy dixon said...

Happy Bday to your dad. May he have many more.

Laurel Wood said...

These are great photos. Your dad and Ann look wonderful. What a nice birthday celebration.

R's Rue said...

Happy birthday.

Jeanette said...

Happy Birthday to your Dad! No, he certainly doesn't look 90 years old! Looks like a nice party too!

Jean said...

What a heart warming post!! Love all the family love, the old pictures, and those games!!! How fun!!

Debi said...

What a beautiful celebration! My dad turned 90 in January and we weren't able to do anything to celebrate. Hoping to celebrate in June when he will be 90 and a half!

Saija said...

thank you so much for sharing ... and he absolutely does NOT look 90! you are blessed indeed, and from what i can see - you are passing all of that on to your family as well ...
GOD IS GOOD!

Terri D said...

God bless you dear dad and his sweet Ann! Happy birthdays to both. I love the photos you took. They illustrate some wonderful memories made on your dad's special day!! I love the cake with the icing candles. Perfect for these pandemic days when we can't blow out candles. Thanks for sharing!! xo

Linda said...

Beautiful, Mari. Happy happy birthday to your lovely dad...btw, he still has the boyish look, smiles.

Laurel Wood said...

Hi Mari, this is mildred. I sent you a private email over the weekend but it may have gone to spam as I have anew email. If you would like to follow, I have started blogging again but it is a new address. Just click on my name here in your comment. Have a great day.

LL Cool Joe said...

Your Dad doesn't look 90 years old! How lucky you all are to be together with no masks etc. Here in the UK we still are not allowed to meet anyone that doesn't live with us!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Could not love this more! Happy birthday to your sweet Papabear! He is so adorable. And what a blessing your family is - I can feel the love in every paragraph. Looks like it was a wonderful party. And what great game ideas! Here's to many more wonderful memories. 🥂

Judy said...

I totally love this post, your dad looks so good for 90. Happy birthday to him. This post brought tears to my eyes, it made me realize exactly how much I miss my parents. Beautiful post Mari.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Congratulations and a belated but no less heartfelt HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your wonderful dad. What a blessing his long life has been, to so many -- both directly and indirectly. AMAZING the family resemblance between his youthful picture and your grandchildren. I wish you would share photos of your mother -- maybe on Mother's Day? I would love to see those. The party looks to have been absolutely grand and what a privilege to have been able to celebrate it with him. xoxo

Beside a babbling brook... said...

What an inspiration!!!!!! They both are. 90 and 91.

Really, what an inspiration. We old folks (me nearly 84 and he 87) need these sorts of good news. -smile-

Belated Happy Birthday to him!

😊😊😊😊😊😊