Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Cooking Thursday

 Here's a recipe to try the next time you have banana's to use up.  I usually make banana bread, and I know a lot of you do too.  However, I sometimes make these banana bars, using a recipe I got from a dear friend who passed away last year.  The bars are very good, and the memories I have of her are also!



Frosted Banana Bars

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 ripe bananas, mashed

Frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
3-4 cups powdered sugar

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Add salt, baking soda and flour to creamed mixture, then stir in bananas.
Spread into greased 15 x 10 x 1 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Do not overbake. Cool.

For frosting - in large bowl beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually beat in enough powdered sugar to reach the right consistency and frost cooled bars.
Store in refrigerator.

15 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yum! And I would have half the frosting eaten before it ever got on the cake.

Laurel Wood said...

This sounds good. I know you have fond memories of your friend when you bake this.
My great niece had a bridal shower recently where each guest shared a favorite recipe with her. Fun to see all the different recipes.

Connie said...

Yum! It will be nice to try something other than banana bread. Seems like I have a couple over ripe bananas about once a month. Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

That looks so good! I wonder if a sugar substitute would work. Thanks for sharing.

Hootin Anni said...

A heavy dessert...but, I bet, scrumptious!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Bet these bars are really good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sparky said...

Gosh, that looks good. I do miss having a banana now and then. Thanks for the recipe. xx

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Ohhhhhhhh.... Sigh..... What a delicious looking photo, you greet me with this morning. Oh myyyyyyy.... Oh myyyyyyy.....

"Miss BB"
🌷🌺🎀🌺🌷

Arlene G said...

Banana is my favorite.

Terri D said...

I will save this one! Yum!

Suemn said...

Oh my gosh, those frosted banana bars look so good. I will definitely try baking them.

Deb J. in Utah said...

That looks so good. I think I will have to make that! Thanks!

Jean said...

Yum!! I can almost taste this just by looking at the picture!!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Ahhhhhh I love banana desserts! I have copied this one. Thanks, Mari xoxo

Laura said...

The girls LOVE banana bread, but I bet they would love this even more since it has frosting!