Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Lancaster County Amish

We had a wonderful day, driving around Lancaster county, taking in the beauty of the area and especially enjoying the Amish farms and people in the area.
Alan was such a good sport in driving us. Cheryl kept telling us to yell out "stop, stop. stop" when we saw something we wanted to take a picture of. I tried not to do that too often - we didn't want Alan to be totally sick of us when we left!

You'll never believe where we spotted this sign...

This open shed for horse and buggy parking was in the side lot of a Walmart store. There was room for several horses and buggies. 3 were parked there when we stopped.


It's so interesting to see the juxtaposition of the Amish lifestyle and modern life. Here is a commercial building with the buggies parked outside.


Most of the buggies we saw were the closed variety, but we saw several like this too.


I enjoyed seeing the large farms. We found it interesting that most of the barns are painted white, because in our area most of them are red.


The kids were my favorite things to see!



This is an old Amish schoolhouse. We saw several of them as we drove around.



The day we were there, an auction was taking place. This field was filled with canopies, under which were a large variety of goods. As you can see in the picture above, there were buggies being sold also.


This little boy was enjoying the auction too!


More beautiful farm scenes.


It was laundry day here!



We saw lots of people riding bikes. Did you notice that one of these boys has bare feet? There were also many stands with homemade breads and preserves.
During the day we stopped at a few antique stores, an Amish made furniture place and a spot that was filled with gift shops.
Tomorrow I'll share the special thing we did at night.

21 comments:

Renee said...

Wonderful pictures! So beautiful!

Pat said...

Such a beautiful country we live in. I really enjoy seeing all these wonderful pictures...it's like taking the trip with you!
Your photography is so good!!

Aspiemom said...

I'm really enjoying seeing Lancaster Co. again. That first scenery picture looks like it could have been taken from our street in Leola.

Didn't you love the produce stands? Great deals, tasty and picturescue!

Unknown said...

I love the farm pictures, the Amish life has always interested me!! So pretty

Karin said...

Another fascinating post for me! Thanks!

Jenny said...

I love Amish country! I miss trips like that. You got some great pictures, Mari.

Andrea said...

Awesome!!
Blessings,
andrea

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kari said...

Hi Mari,
I would so love to visit there one day. Looks like you all had a lot of fun.
I've only read about this place in Beverly Lewis' books and I love it.

Hootin Anni said...

Oh Mari, this was one super post. This heritage has always intrigued me, and I've so many times thought how lovely and simple their lifestyle is and envy them in so many ways.

I really enjoyed this post.

Thanks for stopping by during the hurricane and giving me heartfelt pleasure with your concern.

The Stylish House said...

Mari,
It looks like you're having fun on your trip. Thank you for takings us along on your journey.
These are great photos. Especially love the two boys on their bikes. Definately frame worthy.
Cathy

Raise Them Up said...

You captured some great pictures!

Did you happen to stop by the Auntie Ann's Pretzel shop inside Walmart? Their pretzels are WONDERFUL! :) (Too bad we don't have them in Indiana!)

Brooke said...

most of our barns around here are red too.

there are amish around jay's pawpaw's house - they'll be the first amish to die of heart disease b/c pawpaw is all the time taking them mcdonalds!

SusanD said...

I am so enjoying your posts about your visit and all the photos. Thanks so much for sharing. Have a fabulous weekend. Blessings, SusanD

Betty W said...

I love seeing all the farm scenes. This must have been so fun to drive around seeing the different way of life.

Angel said...

Oh wow!! I love all these pictures, I am dying to go there. Someone told me of an Amish Bed and Breakfast and I would love to go stay there. I especially love the kids with bare feet, the laundry hanging, and the schoolhouse!! Thank you for sharing!!

Love and Blessing to you

Cherdecor said...

Mari, you are a wonderful photographer! It was just as much fun watching you take pictures as it was for you to take them. I couldn't figure out why you were lying on the railroad track. Now I see what you were doing in the post below. You see things that most of us never see!

Anonymous said...

We visited Amish country in Illinois when we lived there. It is such a neat experience and their farms are beautiful. The one image that sticks out is the horse and buggies parked out in front of the Family Dollar!

Kim said...

Have never been to eastern PA but would love to go! The photos remind me of northern Indiana. Have always loved the Shipshewana area.

Anonymous said...

I read a comment you made about being near Lake Michigan so I had to stop over. I am close to the lake as well, in Wisconsin. I moved a bit further west and to my surprise we have a large Amish population very close to home. Did you notice that Amish bikes have no pedals? Those kids seem to move just as quickly.
Nice pictures. Thank you.

Crown of Beauty said...

You are a good photographer and tourist guide, Mari.

I loved these pictures of the Amish County you visited!

What a beautiful country America is.

Love
Lidj