Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

You're a grand old flag...

Do you see the flag in the picture below? It may look like an average flag, but it's special to us!


This home belongs to our neighbors, who are also friends from church. She walked over to our house this past week with a manila envelope in her hand. She told us that they had just gotten a new flag. They ordered it from our Congressman, and it was a flag that flew over the capitol. She said that they thought we would like the certificate that came with it.



The certificate says:
"This is to certify that the accompanying flag was flown over the United States Capitol on June 3, 2010.
At the request of the Honorable Peter Hoekstra, Member of Congress, this flag was flown for Andy Bruins in honor of currently serving our country."

Wasn't that a thoughtful thing to do? We were very touched.
Speaking of Andy, I have some news about him. He is currently stationed in Colorado Springs. He recently received word that he is going to be transferred. He will be going to Fort Campbell, which is in Kentucky. This will make it easier for us to see him - a 9 hour drive instead of a 19 hour drive!
He was happy to hear that although there are only 2 guys being sent from his unit, the other one is his best friend. These 2 have been stationed in Virginia, Korea and Colorado together. He will also be connected with the 101st Airborne Division, which is something he has wanted. He is still anticipating going to Afghanistan, but doesn't know when.
He will be spending the month of July in the dessert in California, doing training exercises. He plans to come home in September sometime, and will be going to the new base after that.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

What a neat thing to do, and such an honor. Very nice gift

Justabeachkat said...

Wow Mari! That gave me sweet chill bumps. How very thoughtful and special!

Hugs!
Kat

Pat said...

How awesome! I'm also glad to hear he's going to be closer to home. What sweet news all around!

Andrea said...

Awesome! Wonderful friends and a magnificent son!
Hugs,
andrea

Jenny said...

All hail our true American heroes like your Andy! What a truly wonderful and special thing for your neighbors to do! And that's super news about Andy being sent to Kentucky.

Kayren said...

I think that is one of the most precious gifts you could have received. You have wonderful neighbors!

I was glad to hear an update on Andy. I wondered when he might be going overseas. If he's going to be attached to the 101st, it will probably be soon. I know he's ready.

Kathy said...

It's a wonderful thing to have a special flag. I too received one back in about 1975 from our then Congressman that I passed on to my daughter's family a few years ago. It's nice to know that ordinary people (like us) can still get a flag that has been flown over our nation's capitol. I know it is something you will cherish.

Jean said...

I finally caught up with your posts. Wow - I cried happy tears when I read about Andy's flag, laughed when I saw Bob in his visor, and felt good all over when reading about your childhood home - so similar to mine.

How can it be that I will not get to see you this weekend???? You will have such fun.

Megan Cobb said...

That is so neat! Andy will love to hear about that too, I bet. Do y'all get to have the flag?

Loving Bob's visor in the previous post. He's looking healthy and robust these days! :)

Connie said...

You have some thoughtful neighbor.
Glad to hear Andy will be stationed closer to home soon.
We made a few trips to Ky. when my brother was in the Army many years ago.
We have a neighbor, Josh, who is stationed in Afghanistan. We just sent him a box of goodies.
Our boys/girls need our prayers.

The Stylish House said...

Mari,
I'm happy your son Andy will be closer so you can visit more often. Love the flag certificate, what a thoughtful gesture.
Always enjoy my visits here, they are uplifting.
Hugs, Cathy

Terri said...

That is so cool!

Cherdecor said...

As I was reading this I thought, now why would they give Mari and Bob and certificate? My curiosity was like "hurry up, hurry up and read!" Then, HOW ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! WHAT AN HONOR FOR ANDY!

That is such great news about Andy going to KY. Good news for all of you.

Growin' With It said...

I've never heard of anyone doing that before...very, very thoughtful and wow!! must make you proud again and again each time you see it. great news on your boy being closer!

mariel said...

what a nice gesture to honor Andy! Praise God he is doing well...I know everyone must be excited to see him in september!

A Stone Gatherer said...

That gave me chills! How sweet! I'm glad Andy will be closer too!

Crown of Beauty said...

What a meaningful flag it is indeed!

I didn't know they did that, and I hope you do get to keep the certificate!

Praying for your son's safety as he serves. Psalm 91.

Lidj