Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Works for me Wednesday


Kristen at We are THAT Family is hosting Works for me Wednesday again. Stop at her blog to see the tips her readers are sharing this week.



My tip for today is to shop locally. Sometimes we get stuck in a rut of always going to the same big box stores, when there may be a place that is a hidden treasure right near by!
This past week I needed a birthday gift for Bob's great nephew, who was turning one. I went to a toy store in my town and found this adorable little puppy pull toy. The ears flap and the head moves when it's pulled. Better than that, it's a high quality toy and will last for years, or through several kids!
For those of you who live near me, the store I'm talking about is Learn and Play House, which is located on 68th ave just north of Lake Michigan Drive, in Allendale. It's full of creative, educational, high quality toys. It also has lots of fun and unusual games for all ages, puzzles and books. You won't find these kinds of products at the mall.
Sandy, who is the owner is always available to give idea's or show you the latest thing that has come in.
Stop in - I know you'll find something great, and I bet you'll go back again! And - don't forget to check out other local stores.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so cute, and looks like a solid toy!! I wish I had more little kids in my family to buy for.

Karin said...

Awww, that's so cute!

Mike Golch said...

Good solid made toys are a great thing,especially in our disposible society.

Pat said...

That's a really good tip. WE should support our privately owned bussiness more, they have a big struggle staying alive against the big box stores.

Unknown said...

What a cute pull toy. It looks like it's going to last a long time!

Jenny said...

I love sturdy toys like that! Great find, Mari! I love local shopping too.

A Stone Gatherer said...

Very cute! I've never been in that store.

Karen Hossink said...

My husband and I were just driving through a few small towns the other day, talking about what it would be like to live so far away from 'civilization' and all the big stores. But you know? There are small stores around here, too. Guess I don't have to travel far to get away from the 'big' guys.
Thanks for helping me realize it!

suzannah | the smitten word said...

cute:) shoping locally means $ stays right in your community, too, in wages and taxes, plus it helps keep those little gems in business!

i posted on supporting farms and eating locally this week, too:)

Connie said...

I driven by this store many times but have not had a reason to stop. Maybe someday when the great-grandchildren start coming.
I do shop at the other local stores though when I can. Same thing with the restaurants - eat close to home.

Jane said...

What a great reminder to visit the local merchants in our areas. We have a small downtown where I live and the merchants are struggling right now. I try to shop local when I can but I'm guilty of sometimes going the "easy" route of one-stop shopping at the big box stores.
Have a great day.
Jane

Momma Roar said...

What a cute toy!

I get into that same rut, going to the box stores. We have some cute independant stors in our downtown but parking is limited to the street and is tricky with 3 children. This was a good reminder to take the time to check out those stores! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That little toy has been around since I was a kid. It's great! You are right, it will last and last!

Kim said...

I have never stopped in that store because I assumed that the toys would be much more expensive. I need to take into account the quality instead....thanks for the reminder.

Kim

p.s. The Sandy that you speak of also owns the hair salon right next to it and cut my hair for over 15 years....until my own daughter got her cosmetologist license. I should stop in to say "HI" to her at least....

Brooke said...

with the state's first legal moonshine distillery opening up next month - i'll have an easier time with that ;)

Betty W said...

What a great tip. I love going into the small shops. Often you find things that are not in the malls.

Sharon said...

I remember when my boys were small and had those pull behind toys. They sure do last through several kids.
I agree we need to support our local businesses.
Thanks for sharing.
Have a great Wednesday.