Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Beautiful Pennsylvania

I'm back from a wonderful trip to Pennsylvania! I went with my sister Cheri to meet our friend Cheryl. We left on Wednesday afternoon, hoping to get a good part of the drive behind us. We thought that way we would have time to see a few things on Thursday. The drive went smoothly for most of the trip. We were even blessed with a huge rainbow that lasted about 45 minutes. The trouble started when it was time to find a hotel. We had booked one for the rest of our time, but weren't sure how far we would get on Wednesday so I thought we would just find one on the way. You notice the I part of the last sentence? That's because Cheri suggested booking something. I should have listened to her!
Every place we checked was booked. We were near Pittsburgh and thought maybe there was something going on there, but we were told it was just business men. By 8:00 that night we decided to just stop and book one on the Internet, then drive to it. We found a Holiday Inn Express that was supposed to be about 25 minutes from us. The problem was that a road was out and the GPS kept trying to bring us back the same way. (You'll hear more about the GPS later this week) So - we were driving around a questionable part of town, trying to find our way to this hotel! We finally got there a little after 9. When we went to check in they said the Internet booking made a mistake and there were no non-smoking rooms! We were ready to take anything at that point, but they upgraded us to a big jacuzzi room instead. It was very nice after the trials of getting there.
The next day we planned to stop in Hershey. As we drove, we saw signs for Old Bedford Village and stopped to check it out.


This is an old homestead at the village. I love these old buildings.




There was also a covered bridge.



As we continued our drive to Hershey, the sky was getting pretty dark. It started to rain so hard, I had to pull off the road because I couldn't see. This is the view through the windshield!




We made a short stop at Chocolate World. We didn't stay long because it was so crowded you couldn't walk. I think when the storm came, everyone left the amusement park and came inside!

We got to our hotel this time without trouble. Our room was on the 17th floor and had a beautiful view!
This is the view from our window at night.



We ended the night with room service. Cheri and I split this chocolate mousse and it was so good! Tomorrow I'll share our day with Cheryl and her husband Alan.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Yup, I knew you two would live it up. Looks like you had some nice digs and fancy food!!!

Aspiemom said...

I was just visiting your friend's blog. You know my friend I just mentioned on my blog, who passed away on Sunday? Your friend mentioned her at the end of her post! She used to work with my friend, Jeannette Marlin! Small world!

I also saw that you went to Sight & Sound. Isn't that place amazing?

Glad you got to Choc. World, too. I used to take Ryan up there for the free tour when we'd get bored. lol

Your visit is making me "homesick."

Aspiemom said...

I was just visiting your friend's blog. You know my friend I just mentioned on my blog, who passed away on Sunday? Your friend mentioned her at the end of her post! She used to work with my friend, Jeannette Marlin! Small world!

I also saw that you went to Sight & Sound. Isn't that place amazing?

Glad you got to Choc. World, too. I used to take Ryan up there for the free tour when we'd get bored. lol

Your visit is making me "homesick."

Angel said...

OMGosh!!! I have a sister named Cheri!!! How cool is that!! Although the traveling and hotel finding part of your trip sounds frustrating, the rest sounds wonderful. Love the pictures of the bridges and old building. I have never been to Hershey but would love to. The best part is the shared sweets with your sister. You are blessed.

Love you my friend!!

Karin said...

Wonderful memories you are making! Lovely photos!

Kayren said...

That picture through the windshield had me stumped until I read it. I thought it was some abstract painting or something from a place you visited.

I told Robert you were gone on a trip as we were over by your way this weekend. We had to drive north of Grand Rapids to get Chatty from horse camp. We take her back for her work week as a ranch hand in a few weeks. Maybe we'll get together with the kids this time!

We used to do the same things with hotel reservations, but we didn't have GPS, and I think we had minimal minutes on our cell phones. This was 10-12 years ago. The problem was that we'd be driving from the east coast over and down to Arkansas, and I remember once we were close to where some of the NCAA tournament games were taking place when we wanted to stop, so we had to keep going. It was always something weird and crazy like that. At the time we either had 3 kids under 5 or 4 kids under 6 including one that was just a few months. You'd thing we would learn!

Hootin Anni said...

I've heard some really bad stories about GPS...taking people to things that don't even exist any longer because of road construction, etc. Scary. Especially when you don't know the area well enough to make your OWN decisions. Ever hear of asking for directions? LOLOLOL

And while reading your post and seeing the first photo, I thought maybe this was your hotel...okay, I'm just kidding ----I am on a roll!!!

I LOVE Pennsylvania! It's one of the most beautiful states in the USA if you ask me.

And Hersheys....oh boy!!!


My Tuesday Post

Lynn said...

OH.MY.GOODNESS!!!!! I am just sick reading this post! You were IN my home town!!!! I am from Lancaster County. I would have made the drive up to meet you. Next time. :o) Glad you enjoyed your trip though.

Jenny said...

Ah, the delights of a summer road trip! I hate it when you're tired of driving and wishing for a shower and a comfy bed but can't find a hotel. So discouraging. I am looking forward to hearing about your visit with Cheryl!

Connie said...

Sounds like you all had a great time. You have to have a few things go wrong just so you can remember the trip. ha ha

Momma Roar said...

Mari - Did you know Lynn and I graduated from the high school? I was 2 years ahead of her.

Of course, I love this area - I live here! But it is always fun to read/hear stories from those who visit. Looking forward to your posts!!!

Momma Roar said...

Oh, and Renee went to the same high school too!! :D

Pat said...

Your pictures are professional quality, they are wonderful! I think PA is beautiful!
It seems to me that it's getting harder and harder to find a hotel room if you don't have reservations ahead of time. For a bad economy people are sure eating out a lot and staying in a lot of hotels! LOL!
Glad your home safe and sound and that you have wonderful memories of a great time.

Andrea said...

WOW!!
Blessings,
andrea

Brooke said...

my hubs is a covered bridge junkie.

wow on the view @ night and on the dessert!!

Betty W said...

I love your pictures Mari! It´s always striking to me, the greenness (is that a word?). Love it. Glad you made it there and back with our mayor difficulties.

Kathy said...

Sounds like a great road trip ~ with just enough adversity and adventure to make it a really memorable one!

Raise Them Up said...

We thought about going to Sight and Sound while we were out there, but after our car break down, the price of the tickets for a whole family made it out of reach for us. I haven't been there for more than 20 years. But I would love to take the boys some day!

We thought about Hersheys, too. Lol! But I was afraid the tours would be dumbed down like the crayola factory tours, and not take you through the actual factory.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

Kim said...

The adventures of traveling :D Glad you got an upgrade -- fun!

Butterfly Works said...

As I read your post, I can just sense the fun you guys had..what a great trip...Love the pictures and hearing all the ins and outs of your trip...can't wait to hear the rest.....

Cherdecor said...

The photo from your hotel room is BEAUTIFUL with the white church steeple and the moon. What a view!

Crown of Beauty said...

Lovely Pennsylvania indeed! The Chocolate Factory must have been something if you had room... but the chocolate mousse looked mouthwatering!

What a special time it must have been.

How lovely too that although you didn't blog while you were on your trip, the way you shared about your trip was so organized, like a travelogue that your readers could follow from day to day.

Love
Lidj