Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Meeting Cheryl!

Thursday finally arrived - the day we were able to meet Cheryl. We arrived at her house shortly before 9. Those of you who follow her blog know about her lovely garden, so before we left for the day we were able to see it in person.

This is the back of the yard. I just love the fence and the way the flowers look against it.


They have a grape arbor. Doesn't it look pretty with the sun shining and the green grapes hanging there?

After showing us around the yard and house we were ready to go. (I'm disappointed, because I took pictures in the house of some of Alan and Cheryl's son Chad's collections. He has the beginnings of a museum in his reptile collection. However - I accidentally deleted my pictures, so can't show them to you.)
Anyway - Cheryl's husband Alan took the day off to drive us around and show us Lancaster County. We started here:
This is Shady Maple Buffet. Do you see how far this goes? I've never seen a restaurant this big. It was very good too! The bottom level is a huge store, with all sorts of products.


This cross was on the wall at the restaurant. It's made of the names of God, with "I Am" in the center. We thought it was quite special.

We visited the Strassburg Train Station.
Here are Alan and Cheryl at the station. They were so kind to us, in spite of the fact that they weren't feeling very good.


This is the train station tower.

While we were there, one of the steam engines came in. I love seeing those old trains!


I like railroad tracks too!

We enjoyed looking at the homes in the area. There are a lot of well maintained older homes in the area.
Isn't this one interesting? I wonder how old it is?



This house was huge and really pretty. We noticed that most of the homes were landscaped beautifully too.
Alan and Cheryl really showed us a lot. I can't fit it all in one post! Tomorrow I'll show you the pictures I took in the Amish area of Lancaster County.

21 comments:

Aspiemom said...

So, what meal did you eat at Shady Maple? I never had breakfast there, only lunch. Some people say it's too big and your food is cold by the time you get to your table. The gift shop there is fantastic. Shady Maple is about 10 minutes from our old house. (A lady in our church did the decorating there.)

Cheryl's yard is just beautiful!

Terra said...

How fun for you to meet Cheryl and her dh and to tour a bit with them. That is a huge buffet. How could you choose with so many selections. Thanks for taking us on this tour with you. The cross is perfect.

septembermom said...

That is a very special cross. Really beautiful in many ways. Glad that you had a good time with Cheryl. I like seeing those trains come by too. Thanks for sharing with us Mari.

Karin said...

Oh, such lovely photo and you've made a beautiful memory!

Kathy said...

How nice to be able to take that trip! What a beautiful Garden Cheryl has. I absolutely love God's creation.

Unknown said...

The buffet was huge! How did you decide what you wanted to eat?

Love the pictures. The garden is stunning. I was craving grapes when I saw the arbor.

Looking forward to tomorrow's pictures.

Lynn said...

You're kidding me!?! My cousin's wedding I recently posted....the reception was THERE! We might have been in the same building at the same time!!! Can you imagine if we had run into each other in the bathroom or something? wow.

Jenny said...

As usual you got some fantastic pictures, Mari. Wonderful memories. I'm wild about the old houses.

Pat said...

What a great trip, Pa. is so pretty. Your pictures are so good, I love looking at them!

Brooke said...

love the cross. and that last home is gorgeous!!

Connie said...

What fun....... Glad you could meet Cheryl and her husband.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure there was plenty of giggles and fun along the way. I know Cheryl was thrilled to meet you in spite of not feeling her best.

What a wonderful treat for all of you. I need to get to PA, it looks beautiful! (Plus Leigh Ann lives there!)

Raise Them Up said...

Shady Maple was just a few miles from the campground we stay in. :) We chose that campground because it's so close to our home church and all the friends and family we like to visit.

I grew up shopping at Shady Maple--back when it was much, much smaller and didn't have a restaurant yet. That and Goodes.

Wouldn't it have been something if our trips had coinsided and our paths had crossed?

I'm glad you got to enjoy it! Those are some of my favorite places in the area.

Angel said...

Oh I am dying to go to Lancaster County and see all the Amish country!! Love all your pictures today, that yard is absolutely beautiful!!

Love and Blessings

Justabeachkat said...

I knew you would have a good time. Can I just admit I was jealous? I'd love to visit them too. I think Cheryl was one of my very first visitors when I began blogging. Such a sweetie pie!

Loved your photos.

Hugs,
Kat

Betty W said...

Cheryls Garden is beautiful! I can only wish...
She and her husband really gave you the full tour. Sounds like great blog friends!

Cherdecor said...

Thank you so much, Mari, for bringing Cheri and driving a very long distance to see us. It was a dream come true! The "sisters" are just the best! I've loved all three of you since I started following your blogs a couple years ago. I hope you will bring more of your families the next time and stay longer!

Renee said...

How neat to meet Cheryl and Alan! The pictures and scenery are gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Those are the resturants I need to avoid, I would want to try one of everything!!! Huge... and Cheryl and Alan garden is amazing so pretty.. So happy you got to meet them, they are special.

Anonymous said...

Mari- you make an excellent tour guide.

Crown of Beauty said...

Amazing restaurant, wonder what they do with all the left overs!

Cheryl's garden looks lovely, and so do those old trains and railroad tracks.

The houses with their gardens are beautiful. Indeed America is such a beautiful country!

THe thing that struck me the most was the cross hanging on the resto wall...with all the names of God on it.

I hope it stays there and won't be asked to take it down sooner or later, knowing how things are going in your country.

Love
Lidj