Pages

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Cooking Thursday

 Do you like those soft, chewy, salted caramels you can buy?  Well, I have a recipe for you!  They are called 10 minute caramels, and that's really how long it takes to make them.  They are so good, and a great addition to your Christmas goody tray.




10  Minute Microwave Caramels

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
sea salt


Butter an 8-inch square pan, or for thicker caramels, a 9x5 inch loaf pan. If you like, you can then line the buttered pan with foil and butter the foil.
Melt butter in a large microwaveable bowl (microwave for about 1 minute).
Stir in the corn syrup, both sugars and sweetened condensed milk. Continue stirring until most of the sugar is dissolved.
Microwave on high for 3 minutes and 5 to 15 seconds. (* I recommend starting with the shorter time of 3 minutes 5 seconds, since I'd rather have my caramels too soft than too hard). Remove from microwave and stir and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Return to microwave and cook on high for another 3 minutes and 5 to 15 seconds. Stir in the vanilla. Pour immediately into the buttered dish.
After about 15 -30 minutes, sprinkle sea salt crystals over the caramels.
Allow to sit for several hours until cooled and set. Cut into squares and wrap in waxed paper.

*I've ended up doing 3 minutes, 10 seconds each time.

I found it was easier to cut the caramels with kitchen shears than a knife.  Also - I used these wrappers I found on Amazon for $8.99, so much easier than cutting all those squares of wax paper (and there are 300 wrappers so they last forever!)


12 comments:

Kim said...

Oh no, this looks like a dangerously delicious recipe, Mari! Thanks for the wrapper link, so helpful!!

Donna said...

They look great, Mari! Thanks for the recipe and link!
hugs
Donna

Catherine said...

I would love to do them but we don’t have corn syrup here.

Dianna said...

I don't think it could get much quicker or easier than this! Thank you for sharing the recipe, Mari.

Sola Scriptura said...

No corn syrup here either, but I read that honey can be a substitute. These sound delicious!

Terri D said...

Oh, how I love caramels!! This easy recipe is dangerous, for sure!! Thanks Mari!

Veronica Lee said...

They look amazing, Mari! 🤩😋 Yummmmmm!
Thanks for sharing the recipe and link.

Hugs and blessings!

Michelle said...

I have made these before and they are so good!

Jean said...

Wow, I LOVE caramels! I would have a very hard time leaving them alone till they were all gone!

Prims By The Water said...

Not a fan of sweets but my paternal grandfather loved them. Janice

Debi said...

Yum! I can't believe how easy this is. My dad is going to love them! Thanks for sharing!

Melanie said...

Mari, I love your decorations. I especially love the dining room with the clear lights and the white. The rest of your decorations are so lovely and colorful. I like the shelf with the vintage containers. I swear I have a Vick's Vapor Rub jar in my drawer! Have a blessed Christmas.