Pages

Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Cooking on Wednesday

 I usually do my recipe posts on Thursday, but after today I'm going to take a break until after Christmas.  However, I wanted to share this recipe with you in case you were looking for an easy candy recipe to try for a Christmas event.
This is a recipe for English toffee. I was surprised by how easy it was. The toffee turned out to be really good, dissolve in your mouth type toffee! I made it without nuts, because we are not nutty people!  But you can add chopped nuts on top if you like.


English Toffee

1 cup white sugar
2 sticks salted butter (1 cup)
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 Hershey chocolate bars
chopped nuts, optional

Butter a baking sheet and set aside.
Combine sugar, butter, water and vanilla and bring to a boil. Stir constantly until mixture turns a light, golden brown.  The original poster said it took hers 8 minutes, others said 10.  Mine was ready in 8 minutes.
Remove from heat and pour onto greased pan.
Unwrap candy bars and place on toffee mix. Wait a minute for chocolate to melt, then spread evenly over top.  If you are using nuts, sprinkle them over the top.
Allow to cool, or chill in refrigerator.
Break into small pieces, store in the refrigerator.


Wishing you all a Merry Christmas, giving thanks for the greatest gift, our Savior!  See you in January!

23 comments:

Jan said...

Have a very Merry Christmas!

Barbara said...

Yum!!!

roentare said...

That looks yum to me! Merry Xmas

Suemn said...

This looks like a really good recipe for when I next make candy. Thank you Mari. Have a wonderful Christmas!

R's Rue said...

Yum

Debby said...

I love toffee but no longer eat it. I’m afraid I’ll break a tooth. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas. Enjoy your break.

Connie said...

Yum, thanks for sharing :)

Dianna said...

Oh my...that looks and sounds delicious and not hard to make. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Merry Christmas to you and your sweet family, Mari. May you enjoy peace and joy throughout the rest of the Christmas season.

Jenny the Pirate said...

WOW I'm copying this one! We're nutty so there will be nuts, hahaha! Merry Christmas, my dear friend! xoxo

Sola Scriptura said...

Wow, these look amazing. I would have thought it was a lot more work than that.

Happy@Home said...

I like the sounds of a dissolve in your mouth toffee. Much better than one that sticks to the teeth.

Billie Jo said...

OK. This looks AMAZING! Thank you! And we aren't nutty people either. Well, I mean about food! LOL

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for sharing this recipe.

Merry Christmas Wishes, see you next year!

All the best Jan

happyone said...

Yummy!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

These sound amazing! Merry Christmas blessings to you all dear Mari! 🌟 💚xoxo

Catherine said...

I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas ! ( I got covid for Xmas the forth time and third time for Xmas!)

Sandy said...

Sounds good, though I don't bake; I spent today in the kitchen cooking also. I make egg casseroles for everyone in the family. We pass them out Christmas Eve at the family gathering and everyone then has breakfast for the next morning. I include rolls, and Mandarina oranges. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Donna said...

I printed this and will be making it this morning! Thanks!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Hug
Donna

Henny Penny said...

Merry Christmas Mari!!

Jeanette said...

That looks really good and so easy! I made a toffee kind of bar with saltine crackers, butter, brown sugar and chocolate chips. It was really good!

Connie said...

Hi Mari, this looks soooooooooooooooo good, but like most of us, I'm sugared out. Maybe I'll give it a try next year. Wishing you a wonderful 2024 :)

Veronica Lee said...

Looks yummy 😋
Happy New Year! May this year bring you boundless joy, endless opportunities, and cherished moments to treasure, Mari.

The Happy Whisk said...

The toffee looks delish.
Happy Christmas and 2024!