Pages

Monday, December 4, 2023

A fun visit and some cookie making!

I told you yesterday that our son Andy and his wife Nikki came for a quick visit this weekend. They live in KY, about 8 1/2 hours from us.  They drove up after work Friday night, arriving about 3 am.  They left again Sunday morning, to get home and go back to work on Monday. So it was short, but sweet!
Nikki arranged some Christmas cookie making on Saturday. She's really good at it, people buy cookies from her frequently. The girls were very excited about this.
Alaina and Ruby came earlier to help make the cookies and start decorating.  We knew Cassie wouldn't handle too long at this, so she came later and some cookies were saved for her to decorate.

Here they are, with a few inspectors checking out the progress.  Actually, Bob is inspecting,  Andy is on the far right is harassing me about taking pictures.  :)









Cutting out the cookies







Alaina rolling out some more dough




Then it was time for the fun part!  Nikki was smart and took some of this rolled plastic to cover the table.  It saves a lot of mess.




When Cassie came, the girls were happy to help her too.



She was really concentrating on it!




And here's some of the finished cookies!



Everyone came over for pizza at night and we went downstairs for more room to play.





It was so nice to have all my kids together - even though I'm being picked on again here for taking pictures.  :)
The little girls all had fun playing together and we just enjoyed the time.

20 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari! So glad you could have your whole family together, even for a short time. Looks like you made some good memories and delicious cookies! So glad you are back from your blog break. See you again soon!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Oh how lovely to have all of your Crew home together. :) The cookies turned out amazing! I always envy my gf that's amazing with cookies and her prowess at being such a great baker and decorator. Sure looks like the grandkiddos loved it all. 💕

Connie said...

Tell the girls that their cookies look wonderful . . . so pretty :)

Catherine said...

The cookies are very nice reminds me I have to bake some.
Nice to have your children and grandchildren with you! You have a nice family. Before when the children were stil at home I organised a cookie baking day with their friends with Xmas Carols before Xmas it is a good souvenir.

acorn hollow said...

How absolutely wonderful!
Cookie baking makes for wonderful memories
Cathy

Dianna said...

What a wonderful weekend...and my hat is off to your son and daughter-in-law for making the trip for such a short period of time! I love it that Andy picks on you for taking pictures. :) As a mom, I understand what it means to have all of your kids under one roof at the same time. It's been a number of years since that has happened for us, but the time is precious when it can happen!

R's Rue said...

So cute

Susan said...

Hi Mari, I am glad your family got together and made cookies. Sweet memories for sure! I bake with my grands once a year at Christmas.

Jeanette said...

Looks like fun! I love the times I can have both of my kids in the house at the same time!

Sola Scriptura said...

The cookies look delicious! I love how your granddaughters always have their hair done so nicely.

DUTA said...

Great result! That's a beautiful plate of creative cookies!

Terri D said...

The cookies look delicious and so pretty! I am sure the girls all had a good time doing those special cookies. Mari, I'm so glad you had everyone together, even for a short visit!! Always good for a mom's soul!! xo

Debby said...

You have so many activities to do with the granddaughters. Making memories is so important.
I love the french braids your granddaughters have - my favorite.

happyone said...

That was a lot of driving for the weekend!
What fun times it is baking cookies. :)

Jennifer said...

Looks like such fun....and, yes, a very quick visit!!

Prims By The Water said...

How nice to have them come up even of it was just a short trip. Cookies always are a good thing to make with kiddos...even the bigger adult ones. Janice

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, that looks like so much fun! What a joy and blessing to have your family there, and those precious little girls baking and decorating cookies together! Of course you should be taking pictures!!! Those are precious memories that may not happen again because they grow up so fast and don't have time for such things later on. My family teases me for taking so many pictures too, but I can't help it. I want these moments to last. Thank you for sharing this with us. I enjoyed 'being there' with you!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Hahaha if my kids pick on me for taking their picture, I'll only take more!!! They wouldn't dare, hahaa! WHAT adorable cookies and what adorable girlies making said cookies! Cassie just squeezing that green icing like it's her job! It makes my heart hurt that Andy and Nikki drove for so long into the night for such a short visit! Bless their hearts! But what wonderful memories. I don't see my card in your wall holder. That's because I haven't sent it yet, hahaha! xoxo

Melanie said...

That is so special to have that family time, even if it took 8 1/2 hours to get together. The cookies look so good and very pretty!

Debi said...

It is wonderful to have all of the kids home at the same time. We've made that "short" trip to Virginia a few times. A nine hour drive for just a couple of days is exhausting... but so worth it! Your girls did a fantastic job decorating the cookies... way better than I can do! I get harassed about taking photos too, but they all seem to enjoy looking them over and reminiscing, don't they? :-)