Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2023

Sisters Day Away

 I don't often have the chance to go out and do something fun with my sisters.  We all work and although we get a day off during the week, it's not the same day as each other.

A few weeks ago, my sister Terri told me she had to use a vacation day and wondered if I wanted to do a little day trip on my day off.  Of course I did!

It's not so easy figuring out what to do in Michigan in February, but we decided to take a trip to Ludington.  It's about 1 1/2 hours north of us, is on Lake Michigan, has 2 lighthouses, a big car ferry and is a cute little town.

We were so lucky, to have the most beautiful day to do this.  Sunshine, blue skies and temps in the low 40's, all of which are extremely unusual in February.  (The next day was cloudy with high wind warnings, and the day after that, we got hit with a snow and ice storm!)


About halfway there we passed these wind turbines.  When you get close to them, you see how huge they are.  Occasionally we see a truck hauling these blades, and each individual blade is longer than a semi truck.



When we got to Ludington, we made our way to Lake Michigan and one of the lighthouses.


We noticed lots of sea gulls, standing out on the ice.




The rocks making up the break wall were covered in ice.



Here's Terri braving the wind so I could take her picture.




Isn't that blue sky pretty?




We walked out to the end of the pier, and when I stepped through the rails at the end, she took my picture.  Never fear, I stayed far away from the edge.  That water looked far too cold to get close to.





There were large sheets of ice floating on this section of the lake.




When we walked back, we saw this little stack of stones someone had been working on.




The beach area was pretty desolate - no sun bathers this time of year!




This is the type of ice near the beach.




Doesn't it look pretty in this large area?




This is called pancake ice and it was stacking up on one side of the pier.




After we left the lake, we drove around town and saw some of the beautiful, old houses that are there.
We stopped for lunch in this old building that has been renovated.  It had old wooden floors, one wall was brick, tin ceilings, and our booth was in a little alcove.  Lots of charm and the food was good too!





After lunch, we walked around town and did just a little shopping.  Lots of the stores are open only on the weekends because it's a tourist town and the tourists come in the summer.  Several of the buildings had murals like this on them which were fun to see.

Soon it was time to head home.  What a great day!

23 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

You and your sister look alike. What a lovely trip. And these different kinds of ice have fascinated me! Especially the kind on the beach and the pancake kind! Something I never heard of!

Deb J. in Utah said...

It does sound like a very nice day for both of you! So glad that you could work things out and visit a charming little town together. Great pictures! I loved seeing the lake and lighthouses. Have a great week! See you again soon!

Debi said...

Sounds like a really nice day. I love the ice photos... I've never seen pancake ice before!

Catherine said...

How nice to go out with your sister! The place looks beautiful , beautiful ice, it must have been very cold with wind but nice air to breathe! I am glad you had a nice day break!

roentare said...

Truly beautiful landscape!

Hootin Anni said...

How thrilling! And fun day with sisters. Pretty photos. If I were with you two, tho, I'd be IN the car keeping it warm for ya'!! 🙂. Never heard of pancake ice!!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Good to hear and see Mari that you've been able to have a great day out with your Sister. Ice on the Shoreline- I've never seen anything like it before- must be awfully cold there. It has been a warm day here at 33 Deg C..cooler now in the late evening at 23 Deg C. Best Wishes. KEV.

Donna said...

Love the blue skies! I'm so glad you got to escape with your sister for the day! That's always fun!
hugs
Donna

Suemn said...

What a fun day for you and your sister. It's always nice to have a sister(s) get-away:)

Changes in the wind said...

What a blessing to have a day with your sister in such a cute little place.

Jeanette said...

That looks like a great trip. We always try to make at least one trip to Lake Michigan in the winter. I love seeing the pancake ice! It's pretty cool. I haven't been to Ludington in a long time! I think it's one of the most popular places to visit in the summer! I've seen those wind turbine blades on trucks before. Yes, they are huge! Have you ever driven through Ithica? They have about 95 wind turbines!

Kim said...

I have two sisters, as well, and it's always a special day when we'r together. Looks like you had fun!

happyone said...

A lovely day spent out with your sister. Fabulous views.
I keep forgetting to answer your question - It is the Drane house.

R's Rue said...

So much fun.

DUTA said...

It doesn't much matter where you go, as long as you are with siblings. So, with them, any place turns into fun. nice, interesting place - worth visiting.

Debby said...

Pancake ice? Never heard of it. Well, it sure does look cold. Very pretty though and the fact that you shared the day with your sisters, must have kept your hearts warm!

It's fun to get away even if it is for a day and it's cold.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I think those are often the best days - the ones where they're kind of impromtu. And you gals look like you had a wonderful time. It's so beautiful! I love Lake Michigan. It's so pretty and in the summer I think it's the prettiest color of the great lakes. You're mind kind of folks...prowl around a cute little town. See sights and eat yummy goodies. I would have found an antique store too. 😉 Thanks for sharing. xoxo

Jean said...

That WAS a great day!! I love that you had such a nice day for it. The scenery is spectacular! I love that old building where you ate. So much charm.

Terri D said...

Sure sounds like you had a great day with your sister. I like her name, by the way!! Seeing all that ice made me shiver but it is lovely to look at and interesting how there are different formations. Glad you had fun!! xo

My Tata's Cottage said...

Your photos are so great and spending time with your sister what a great treat! Love seeing your pictures. THANK YOU.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Beautiful pictures and skies.
I have never seen pancake ice before.

Sally said...

So glad you had a wonderful day with your sister! Love the picture.

I don't have a sister, but my sis in law and I have been close for a long time and every now and then we make little trips together for a day. Of course, now I don't drive really well and when she does, I get nervous LOL Besides that, a day is long enough. A few times when it's been more than a day, she always gets me lost. You know, she has a short cut. :)

xoxo

Jenny the Pirate said...

Well that sounds like a charming outing, although I think y'all are more acclimated to the cold and wind than I would be! I love that pancake ice! And the restaurant looks so cozy and warm. Y'all sure made the most of that day trip! xoxo