Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2023

Lighthouse in the Winter

Last week I was in Grand Haven for a haircut.  Grand Haven is about 25 minutes from my house and is known for Lake Michigan, miles of beaches and the Lighthouse. Since I was there, I made a stop at the pier.
We enjoy walking the pier in the summer, but I like to stop in the winter to see it in the ice and snow.
I was there on Tuesday, and we were expecting a big storm that evening.  Things were already starting in the early afternoon.  The wind was howling, the waves were high, sand was blowing across the road from the beach and it wasn't a place you wanted to stay for any period of time.


This is the walkway along the channel to the lake.  The waves were so high that they were washing over and flooding the walkway.




Ice everywhere!








The channel is usually calm because it's protected, but on this day there were some pretty big waves there.












Big waves on the lake.  People have been out here surfing, which sounds pretty miserable to me.  I don't know how warm those wetsuits are, but I would be freezing.





It's a whole different kind of beauty from what we see in the summer.
I was happy to get back in my car and warm up!

19 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari. Interesting pictures of an interesting place. Have a good week. Stay warm. More winter weather on the way for both of us according to the weather forecast. See you again soon. Have a good week.

roentare said...

You got a giant wave splash there caught in the moment. Great shot. The icicles are amazing off the rails

Catherine said...

It must have been very cold! Here it is cold because of the wind plus temperatures below 0. But the wind is freezing despite of the sun. I love the pictures of the waves and the lighthouse. I wish you a nice week

Hootin Anni said...

Bud has sand from this area (his mother grew up here).

R's Rue said...

So beautiful.

16 blessings'mom said...

Those pictures are really awesome, the Great Lakes are amazing. I cannot imagine, in my wildest nightmares, going surfing in those waters this time of year (or any waters, any time of year, to be honest ha). We've gone to the shores of Lake Ontario in the winter, and the wind is bitter...the lighthouse we visited was just covered in ice too, it's so cool, but forbidding, almost scary...the cold, and the power in those waves.
Della

Suemn said...

Brr! It sure looks cold and windy with those waves. That's a monstrous wave that you caught at just the right moment in front of the red building. It's a neat picture.

Changes in the wind said...

That is a whole different experience for sure.

Deb said...

Love that first lighthouse pic, with the birds and the waves. And then that red building pic with the massive waves, oof! I'm so not a water person and that pic makes me anxious. LOL! It tells me brain, 'Respect nature's power!'

Kim said...

Maybe it's because I live on an island in the northeast, but lighthouses in winter fascinate me and you have some really amazing pics!!

Jeanette said...

I love when the waves are so big and crashing against the rocks! I can't imagine surfing them, though! Yikes! I am so jealous you live so close to Lake Michigan! I would be there all the time, especially when the waves are huge like that!

Billie Jo said...

Those photos are amazing! Would you believe I love watching the waves like that?! From the comfort of the inside, of course! : )

Sally said...

No. No surfing for me even if I was young. :)

Love the photo's though, Mari.

xoxo

Judy said...

Your photos are absolutely amazing! I miss living by Lake Michigan for this exact fact that winter brings a whole different look to the lake.

Debby said...

I've never seen ice like that. Amazingly beautiful.

A Joyful Cottage said...

Mari, you successfully captured the brutal winter climate on the shore. I'm happy to be seeing it from the warmth and comfort of my living room. ;) I will say that your first photo of the lighthouse is just beautiful. That amazing red, and the seagulls flying around it with the waves crashing. It has a moodiness about it that I love. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful photographic eye. You take the best photos! Hugs.

DUTA said...

God's fury at its best: wind, ice, big waves, freezing cold.
Grea, beautifult captures of it all!

Jenny the Pirate said...

I love it when you show pictures of that pier and lighthouse in winter! It's gorgeous year round but the brutal cold and ice, and the wind and waves, is so dramatic. That lowering sky was all geared up for the storm! Surfing in THAT? Haaaahahahaha the pirate says NOPE. xoxo

happyone said...

Love the lighthouse and all the cold weather pictures. Beautiful.
Summer photos are nice at a beach but I prefer it in the winter!