Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2023

A Day in my life; February

Here we are in February!  We're making our way through winter.  :)
Here's how I spent the first day of the month.

Usually I get up and walk on the treadmill before getting ready for work, but I had an unfortunate slip on the ice while out taking pictures. (We had another big snowstorm over the weekend with about 8 more inches of snow). One foot stayed put, the other slid, leaving me doing the splits in a body that is not made for that!  I messed up my leg, which at the moment is bruised from hip to calf.  So, until that heals up, no walking.

I got ready for work and had some quiet time to work on my Sunday School lesson.

I was on the road about 7:35.  It was a cold morning, 11 degrees but clear.  Some roads where pretty clear, some were quite snow and ice covered.


A cemetery I often pass on my drive, which looks pretty under the snow. Many of Bob's family are buried here, including his parents and a sister.




It's so nice that our days are getting longer and I'm not driving to and from work in the dark.



On this day, one of our nurses had a car issue, so was working from home.  That left only 3 of us in the office, so it was a little quieter than usual. We had no patients in the office, so we could wear casual clothing instead of scrubs.
My job on this day was Nurse follow up.  This involves all faxes sent to the office from different nursing facilities with concerns, questions, medication issues, falls and death certificates.  It involves lots of messages with doctors, facilities and family members.




Here's the view outside our window.  It's wonderful to have blue skies and sunshine!





In the afternoon, a vendor dropped off a bag of ring pops with the message "Give us a ring".  Here's one of my co-workers, Andrea, trying a ring pop and making a face at me for taking her pic.  
I'm so blessed to work with wonderful and fun people.  We had a great day and left about 5:15.



On Wednesdays, I always stop at my Dad's house to check on them and to write out any bills he needs sent out.  This isn't a great photo, but I admire this old barn every time I go past it.




It was 5:30 when I got to Dad and Ann's.  This is what I saw when I walked in; my 93 year old step mom on her hands and knees cleaning the floor.  She says it's the best way, and I can testify that their house is always spotless.




Dad was relaxing in the family room and was happy to see me.  We talked a bit and wrote out his bills, then I headed out.



I had to get gas; it was $3.28 a gallon on this night.




As I drove home, the son was setting.




It's 6:15 and I'm home!
Bob was just leaving to go to his Wednesday night mens group at church, so we said hi and see you later and I went into the house.




Supper was easy - leftover pulled pork.




After I ate, I paid our bills and made lunches.

Then it was time to relax, check blogs and enjoy the evening.  Bob came home a little after 8 and we headed to bed around 11.

A good day!

23 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari! I always enjoy your first day of the month posts. You are such a good and kind daughter/step daughter. I love the care and concern you have for your day. Looks like you work in a fun office, with nice people. That is always important to enjoying a job. I am so sorry to hear about your fall. We are at "that age" when we are apt to slip and fall and hurt something. Been there, done that. I am glad you are taking it easy and I hope you heal up quickly!

Jan said...

I'm so sorry about your leg! I know how badly that hurts-I did the same thing with a slick covered magazine on a carpeted floor. My leg was all colors for a long time. Take it easy and take care!

Ginny Hartzler said...

A full day for sure! I am totally gobsmacked that your stepmom can get down on the floor at her age!! I have not been able to do that in years. And she's not even wearing kneepads! Your sunrise and sunset photos are beautiful. You have a lovely house. It is like ours, but we do not have the garage.

roentare said...

What a freezing weather! The sunset colour is so surreal!

KEV. Robertson. said...

Hope your hip and leg mends Mari. I had a fall before Christmas - no broken bones or anything serious- though I smashed my new plastic coffee cup. Stay well there with all the Snow. Best Wishes. KEV.

Donna said...

It's always fun to learn a little more about our blog buddies!
Taking a fall like that could be serious! Hope you didn't fracture anything.
I will be SO glad to see Spring! Already tired of this awful cold and wet Winter.
Stay warm!
hugs
Donna

Suemn said...

So sorry to hear about your fall. I know from experience that the results from falling isn't usually painless. That pulled pork sandwich sure looked good. ha! Wow! Anne is still getting down on her knees to wash the kitchen floor? I gave that up many years ago but I agree with her thinking that it's the best way to get a clean floor. If Anne can get up from kneeling, she is sure in a lot better shape than many people her age.

Hootin Anni said...

Love the pic of your dad!!
And that first sunrise photo ...do you ever have the problem of sunlight directly in your line of vision while driving to work?

Debi said...

What a busy day! Wednesday used to be the day that I spent with my parents doing things that they could no longer do. When my mom passed by dad went to live with my brother. I always washed my floors like Ann does but now, even though I can get down, getting up is darned near impossible! So now I use a mop! I hope that your leg and hip heal quickly and fully. Be careful when you are outside taking beautiful photos to share with us. We love the photos but we'd rather have you all in one piece! Have a great week!

Henny Penny said...

I enjoyed seeing what your day was like. It sure brought back memories of when I worked eight hours a day, five days a week, and the long drive to and from work. So sweet of you to stop and help your dad and stepmom. Oh, I hope your leg heals fast. Falls are so scary! You're a busy lady, and so kind to others.

Kim said...

Ouch! Sorry about your fall! Hope things heal up quickly. Thanks for letting us see a day in the life. Take care!

Doris said...

What a great first day. Yes and amen to the longer days!! I agree that hands and knees is the best way to get clean floors but I rarely do it...except in our tiny bathroom =) Hope your leg is getting better everyday!

happyone said...

Great first day of the month.
Beautiful view outside your work window.
Good for Ann!! :) That's wonderful that she is still able to do that. That's how I clean my floors too. Hope I'm still doing it when I'm 93!! :)

happyone said...

Me again. Forgot to say sorry to hear about your fall. Hope your back to exercising soon!!

Barbara said...

While I agree with Ann that getting down on hands and knees is the best way to get a truly clean floor, maybe for her next birthday she could use a padded knee pad. What a hearty soul she is!

Loved this post about a day in your life.

And I could go for a pulled pork sandwich at any time, day or night!!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Looks like it was a great start to the month! Other than the slip. Poor Honey! I hope it heals up soon. 🤗 I just love that you have such a fun work environment. And your Dad and Anne are "goals" - just sayin' 😉
It is so nice to have it be brighter now - especially in the evenings. Have a blessed week ahead! xoxo

Sally said...

I've missed you, Mari. Have been a slouch when it comes to posting. Your skies are so pretty. Girl, you sure are a busy lady. It's a genuine blessing to have wonderful people to work with. That's about the only thing I miss (well except for the money LOL).

xoxo

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Oh no. Sorry about your accident. Hoping by now you're pretty much healed up?
I had something similar happen last winter when I was trying to get into my daughter's van, and one foot was in, but the other foot slid on the patch of ice I was standing on before I could get it in too and the next thing I knew, I was lying on my back on the ground. I didn't get hurt, but it gave my daughter quite a scare.

Terri D said...

Oh my, that snow and ice!! I am so sorry that you hurt yourself with that terrible fall!! Hope it heals quickly. Gosh, God bless Ann for being able to do the floors on her hands and knees. I can't do that but agree with her that it is the best way to get the floors clean. Your dad looks good. Thanks for the update and for taking us along on your first day of each month! xo

Jean said...

I'm really sorry you fell and have bruises! I hate to imagine what I would look like if that happened to me, being on blood thinner.

I am SO impressed by that step mom of yours!! I could get down like that, but I certainly don't want to!!

You always accomplish so much in a day!!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Another awesome day in the life. I love the shadow of the power pole on your dad's barn. Cemeteries under a blanket of snow always bring a tear to my eye. The view from your window at work is miraculous and I imagine it makes the workday so much easier (it would for me). Ann is a force of nature! Your dad looks great. xoxo

Jeanette said...

Wow! Good for your stepmom for getting down on her hands and knees and washing the floor. She's right, it's the best way to get it really clean but I haven't done it in more years than I can count! Another wonderful day in the life post!

Catherine said...

You are always so busy! I wish I could clean my floor like Ann! I hope you feel better after your fall not very easy with ice. Here we have 3 C but very sunny
It goes down below 0C at night.