Pages

Monday, February 27, 2023

Ice storm

We were hit with a big ice storm last week.  Our area doesn't get a lot of this, we tend to get more snow but this time we had snow, then sleet, then freezing rain.
It shut most everything down on Wednesday and Thursday.  All the schools were closed, the county buildings and courthouses were closed, lots of offices and some stores also closed.  My doctor office was closed, but we all worked from home to handle calls and concerns.  It was another time that I was so grateful for the job I have.  What a blessing to be able to work from home!
On Friday, the roads were mostly clear and it was amazing to see this coating of ice over everything.  
My brother's house is on a slight rise, and when he went to back out of his garage, his car slid right off the driveway.  When he got out of the car, he slid onto the ground.  He got up and slid down again.  He said it was like something you see on funniest home video.  He did manage to get to the house and didn't hurt himself. 



This gives you an idea of how things looked.  Kids were having a great time sledding with all that ice, but not so much fun getting back up the hills.




This friend decided to make the best of things and went ice skating in her driveway!


We had the girls over Friday night, and we got some snow during the night.  They decided to check out our yard in the morning. They wanted me out there too, but I stayed on the safe part of the driveway and it was a good thing, because that yard was pure ice under the snow.










There was a lot of laughing going on and Ruby just couldn't stay standing up.

We were hoping that was the end of it, but guess what?  We got hit with another ice storm on Monday.  I work from home every Monday, and this is what I was seeing.


In the back yard, I could see ice hanging from the branches.




Here's the view out our front window; everything was glistening. The wind was blowing, and our power kept blinking off and on.  I was afraid I was going to lose it and along with that, the internet which would make it impossible for me to work.
It stayed on though, and by the afternoon it had warmed up a bit and the ice fell off the trees.
I'm hoping this is the end of crazy weather here!  

22 comments:

My Tata's Cottage said...

Oh my goodness! The ice storms are so awful. I don't think people with desk jobs should have to venture out in the winter weather. My poor husband has to be at work and I just hate to see him going out in the ice and cold. Your photos are terrific and so are those busy girls! Love seeing the kiddos. Have a blessed new week.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Fun pictures of the ice storms. So glad that you all made the best of it, and had some fun and no one got hurt. I remember ice storms from when we lived in Nebraska years ago. Here is is mostly snow, and more is predicted for tonight! Ugh. I am beyond ready for spring. So glad that you can work from home on cold, snowy and icy days. Have a good week!

Mandy said...

Wow! That is a LOT of ice! So much fun for the girls! I love that your friend went ice skating. That’s one way to make the best of it. Hope y’all will have a big warm-up soon! Stay safe!

roentare said...

Such a gorgeous snowy weather! Love a snow fight in the snow too

Hootin Anni said...

Wow!! Just plain wow. Treacherous for sure, but there is beauty in it all (at least from my chair...inside!!)

Sparky said...

Oh my goodness! Y'all are tougher than me. I couldn't take all that snow and ice. It is pretty, though. And the ice skating looks like fun. Wonderful photos.
Blessings. xx

Agnes CF Lee said...

I can feel the chill and coldness by looking at the ice. We do not have winter in this part of the world, summer all round the year.

Jeanette said...

Yes, these ice storms have caused some damage! Some poor people are still without power 5 days later! It's deceptively beautiful!

16 blessings'mom said...

Those girls enjoying the ice, so sweet! I remember being a kid and ice skating in our yard after an ice storm. We had a two hour school delay here this morning, it's really snowing. It's so nice to be able to work from home, Paul has for a few years now. I always pray for my older kids who HAVE to drive in it, the nurses and the boys who work in HVAC. When we had ice on the trees like that last week, the wind was blowing and it sounded like a tinkling, clinking symphony. The sun shone on those trees, and my iPhone just couldn't capture the brilliance. Nature sure is amazing. (I'm so afraid of slipping and falling on the ice though...ugh)
Della

Debi said...

We usually get at least one or two ice storms every winter. I would much rather have a foot of snow than an eighth inch of ice! Glad you were able to work from home and stay safe. Right now it is snowing like crazy here... great big snowflakes. They are saying we will get at least four inches... which is not much around here! Stay safe!

Suemn said...

Hi Mari, We have been hit with the same thing and my longish driveway is on an incline and is all ice again and it's a thick ice. I have to wheel the garbage and recycle bins down to the street tonight and I am wishing I had a trailer to put them in so I could drive them down to the street. Sigh! I can't wait for spring:)

R's Rue said...

Wow.

Kim said...

Wow, you guys have been hit hard this winter. We hadn't seen snow since last year...until this morning. I really thought we'd escaped it and spring was coming early. The crocuses were even blooming, but nope. Mother Nature had other plans. Stay safe out there. I hope a big melt is headed your way!

Catherine said...

I Hope this ice will melt soon! I would be scared to be out and fall on the back. It’s a strange weather, here we are going back to winter, frost and cold wind .

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

We got a little of that - but not bad like that. Yikes! I don't mind snow - I hate lots of ice. But I do love how pretty it makes everything. And the kid in me would love to have fun with it like your girlies. ;)

happyone said...

We've had ice storms like that and it is really dangerous to be out in it. There is just no driving on ice!! Walking is treacherous.
Love the ice skating lady!! :)

Debby said...

I'm thinking our arctic weather has to go somewhere after it left us here in California. Plus, we're still getting hit with the weather we don't normally get.

I don't ice skate anymore - I'm afraid I will fall. The kids sure enjoy it though. After our hard freeze that is coming that we've never had before, who knows? Maybe the kids around here will get to ice skate in the streets. Crazy.

Judy said...

Oh my goodness you sure did get an ice storm. I love that your friend went ice skating. Glad to hear your brother wasn't hurt and can look back and see the humor in it...whew!

Michelle said...

Wow, you all have been hit hard with bad weather. Ice is so dangerous. Glad to hear all seems well.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Oh, what an ice storm! I can hardly believe the weather we are having across the nation. Hope you will get warm weather soon.

Sally said...

Goodness gracous, Mari! What a sight. The girls had fun even though Ruby had a hard time standing up. Bless her heart. The lady ice skating in her driveway? I can't even imagine. So much ice, hard to believe. I hope by now things are better weather wise for y'all.

xoxo

Jenny the Pirate said...

I have three words: No. Thank. You. Haaaahaha xoxo