Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Cooking Thursday

Todays recipe is another one I made at Christmas.  You might not make this now, but you need to save it because this is so easy and so good!  You know those soft, gooey, salted caramels you can buy?  Well, these are as good, if not better! The hardest part of making these is cutting and wrapping them. 


10  Minute Microwave Caramels

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
sea salt


Butter an 8-inch square pan, or for thicker caramels, a 9x5 inch loaf pan. If you like, you can then line the buttered pan with foil and butter the foil.
Melt butter in a large microwaveable bowl (microwave for about 1 minute).
Stir in the corn syrup, both sugars and sweetened condensed milk. Continue stirring until most of the sugar is dissolved.
Microwave on high for 3 minutes and 5 to 15 seconds. ( I recommend starting with the shorter time of 3 minutes 5 seconds, since I'd rather have my caramels too soft than too hard). Remove from microwave and stir and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Return to microwave and cook on high for another 3 minutes and 5 to 15 seconds. Stir in the vanilla. Pour immediately into the buttered dish.
After about 15 -30 minutes, sprinkle sea salt crystals over the caramels.
Allow to sit for several hours until cooled and set. Cut into squares and wrap in waxed paper.

I found it was easier to cut the caramels with kitchen shears than a knife.  Also - I used these wrappers I found on Amazon for $6.99, so much easier than cutting all those squares of wax paper.


16 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Those wrappers would make life a lot easier when it comes to making caramels. I will keep this recipe in mind for next Christmas. My husband loves caramels and this would be a good thing to make to give to the neighbors. Yum! :-)

Ginny Hartzler said...

I cannot believe how easy this looks! And no candy thermometer! This is my kind of recipe; printing now.

Hootin Anni said...

Wow. I bet they're good!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

caramel is my favorite flavor and I know these would be wonderful.

Terri D said...

As a caramel lover, why not make this now? LOL Thanks for the recipe, Mari. A great addition to someone's Christmas gift bag full of homemade goodies!! xo

Kerin said...

Great recipe! I use a similar recipe for microwave caramels as well, and they could not be easier.
Thanks for sharing your recipe with us.

Smiles :)
~K.

Judy said...

Yummy! Caramels are one of my favorite candies.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Our neighbor makes these, from a Family Recipe. And they are ammmmmmmmazing! At Christmas, I had to *hide* them, because I was eating them, alllll the time!

It seems, she may put a sprinkling of salt, on the lining of the dish... Because when you put them in your mouth, you get a salty taste. And SALT and SWEET go perfectly together, of course. Might try this, the next time you make them. -smile-

Not here though... I am attempting to cut sugar... I have developed arthritis in my left hand. Sugar adds to inflammation. I'd really like to try this (drop sugar), before getting a shot for it.

🌲 🌲 🌲 🌲

Sparky said...

Yum, bet they are delicious. I can almost smell their heavenly aroma's from here ... *drool*
Blessings. xx

Catherine said...

I love caramels! It is a speciality from Normandy.
Salted butter caramels.

Michelle said...

Homemade caramel is so good. I am printing this recipe. A lot easier than the last batch I made!

happyone said...

These are good, I've made them before. Got the recipe off of DanaDiane's blog.

Kim said...

Oh my. Caramel is my weakness...I don't think I'd be able to wait until Christmas to make these!!

Debi said...

That does sound easy! I just might give them a try!

Jenny the Pirate said...

There are a few things I cannot resist and caramels is one of them. This looks wonderful and I have copied it and I will be making these for a festive occasion! Thank you my friend! xoxo

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Those look so good, Mari! I've made them in the past, and they are just soo good!