Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2022

Looking Back

 Hi friends!  I hope you all had a blessed time over Christmas.  Before I get back to a regular blogging routine, I have to share a little bit about our Christmas.
We were planning to have my whole family here for Christmas Dinner - that would be 22 people, with a few others showing up after dinner.  So, on Christmas Eve, I was busy getting the house ready.  We have a family room in our basement where we set up tables for that many people to fit in.  We had that all set up and I was doing laundry. Bob and I were in the living room, when we heard a loud noise.  It wasn't a good noise!  Bob was checking things upstairs and I went downstairs to check the laundry room - and found a mess.  A water pipe had come apart and there was water all over the floor. Bob got the wet vac, we turned off the washing machine and went to work.  The good news was - it was clean water, and it didn't get into the family room.  The bad news was - the reason that pipe came apart was that there was a problem with the septic system.  (When you live in the country, you don't have city water, and need a septic system and a drain field).  
So - it was December 24, a 4 pm and a weekend coming.  We knew we were going to have to deal with it until Monday.  We told people to come, but would be trying to avoid using much water.
We were able to make it to church that evening for a candlelight Christmas Eve service which was beautiful.
On Christmas the family came and we had a wonderful day.


The family!  This is 3 tables lined up, filling the room.



After dinner, the guys took down the tables and we circled the room with chair.  Cassie is loving walking around if she can get someone to hold her hands.


She sat by Great Grandpa, but not for long.  She likes to be on the move.


Alaina was getting a laugh out of the hat my sister brought along - when you squeeze the bottom, the ears move.


Look how old Alaina is looking!


Andy and Nikki left KY Christmas evening and drove back to Michigan.  They arrived about 7am and went to bed for a while.  Bob and I went to church, and on Sunday afternoon, we had a Christmas celebration with our kids and grandkids.

We always read the Christmas story before opening gifts.  This year Alaina started the reading, but didn't like all the attention on her, so handed it off.



Ruby, checking out one of her stocking gifts.



Cassie is going to be introduced to the Muppets!



Andy and Nikki.  It was so nice having them here in person.



Aaron, Alaina and Laura.
I was mad at myself, because I missed getting a photo of Andrew, Heather and Cassie!




Nikki said that if I was going to keep taking pictures, I better be in one too.  So, here is one of Bob and I with our grandaughters!
It was a wonderful Christmas celebration on both days.

The jury is still out on our septic system.  We had it pumped and there is a chance we may need a new drain field, which costs about $14,000!  We are supposed to keep an eye on things and hopefully will know soon...

16 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari and Happy New Year. I love the pictures of your family Christmas gathering. The septic system issue does not sound fun at all. I hope everything works out well with that. I am glad you didn't let it put a damper on your Christmas celebration. God bless you and your family in the new year!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wonderful photos of your celebration!! I think my favorite is the one of both of you and all your grandchildren. Cassie looks so happy to be on your lap! I agree that Alaina is looking a few years older than usual! Maybe it is her outfit, and the way she is sitting. I am so sorry about your pipes and septic tank, how awful! I think you may have us beat, we had a jammed toilet on Christmas day and spent the day waiting for plumbers to keep returning.

Joyful said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your Christmas celebration despite the water problem. It's always nice to get together with family though I haven't done for a long time. Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.

Hootin Anni said...

We had septic tank and leach field in Colorado. I know what y'all went thru.
But, a great family celebration!!

Henny Penny said...

I love seeing all the family pictures. So glad the water problem didn't mess things for for Christmas I still can't get over how fast little Cassie has grown up. She is adorable. Of course, all three granddaughters are adorable.

Judy said...

Oh, my goodness your septic story brought back memories from that happening years ago when our kids were small on Christmas eve. It was a complete disaster, but we found someone who was an hour away to come and pump it out. It looks like you all had a wonderful gathering.

Sparky said...

Cassie sure is growing up. All the kids look so cute and happy. It's always uplifting to see your photos. I hope y'all have a blessed week. xx

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Happy 2022 Mari!
So sorry about the misadventure with the pipe. But what a blessing to have all of your family gathered and enjoy the holiday. Such beautiful photos of such a beautiful family! Your grandddaughters are all getting so big! Here's praying that your septic issue is resolved easily and without having to spend tons of money!
Blessings on your week ahead. xo

Terri D said...

Oh my! I understand septic systems. We lived with one for 28 years before moving where we have city hook-ups. Not fun. I sure hope you can avoid that huge cash outlay. I am so happy you didn't have to cancel your Christmas dinner/celebration with the family. What a blessing. And yes to Alaina looking so grown up!! Your grandgirls are all beautiful. Thanks for sharing your Christmas fun with us! I always enjoy my visits here, Mari! xo

happyone said...

What a wonderful Christmas at your house except for the pipe breaking. So nice to see all the pictures of you and your lovely family.
We live in the country too and know just what you are talking about.

Susan said...

Great pictures Mari, especially that last one. Happy New Year!

Arlene G said...

Bless your heart. I hope all was taken care of!! But you made the best of it. Love the pictures.

Suemn said...

What a wonderful Christmas get-together celebration. Fingers are crossed that you won't need a new septic drain field.

Tracy dixon said...

Such wonderful pictures

Jenny the Pirate said...

Aaaarrrggghhhhh! Septic system problems on Christmas! I am amazed and impressed at how you and Bon take a licking and keep on ticking. I would probably have been lying down with smelling salts and a box of tissues to catch all my tears! I will fervently pray that this will not cost you $14K!!!! But wow, your Christmas celebrations look to have been truly special and wonderful. I can't believe that picture of Alaina with her legs crossed, looking like she's sixteen. And Ruby adorable and impish as ever, and wow, what can I say about Cassie? Just a little precious elf. xoxo

Jean said...

What a wonderful gathering! And I'm so glad Nikki insisted on that last picture. I love it!