Pages

Monday, November 22, 2021

Work update

(my office)

Most of you have heard me talk about my work, but in case you haven't, I'll tell you about my job.
I'm a nurse at a Skilled Nursing Center.  We have 60 beds; 30 are long term care, 30 are skilled rehab for people who need medical care or therapy before going home.  I've worked there for 31 years!  
I started when my kids were young and I worked on-call.  As they got older I worked different shifts to accommodate what was happening in our lives at the time.  For the last 6 years, I've been the unit manager/infection control nurse.  I've really enjoyed doing this.  I like having contact with our residents and their families, I enjoy working with our doctors and the other staff.  This job means that I have to take a turn at being on call.  When I started, it was one week on, 2 weeks off.  On call means you take calls for any medical issues, 24 hours a day.  It also means if someone calls in, or we are short a nurse, you have to go in and work.
Then Covid hit.


(me in my covid gear)

With Covid came lots more work for me.  Constant monitoring of residents, auditing of staff to make sure they are following the correct infection control measures, covid testing, and lots more documentation.  We've had covid in the building twice, and are just finishing the second round.  When that happens, work is miserable.  You can't stop and say hi to residents, if you are working in the covid unit, you can't come out, and wearing all that gear is miserable.
However, a worse side effect of covid is how many people are getting out of nursing.  We've had issues with shortages before, but what we are now dealing with is unheard of.  And it's all over the country, from what I'm told.  And the state surveyors have been clamping down more, although they tell us that everyone is having the same issue and can't find help.
So - because of this, I am now on call every other week, and those weeks have been brutal.  I am having to work the floor a lot, and have been called numerous times as I go to bed, to be told I need to get up and come to work. Then I have to stay to get my regular work done.  And worse, is telling my family that I can't do something, because I'm on call and will probably have to work.  I had a day recently that I was there for 18 hours.
But then - I got a message from someone who works in the office our doctors are from.  They had someone leaving and felt I would be a good fit.  I went in to talk to them, and they offered me a job on the spot.  Bob and I had been praying and felt there was clear leading to take it.  The person interviewing me even said she's been praying for me because she knew this would be a tough decision.
I said yes, and will be working 4 days a week, 8:30 to 5.  No weekends, no holidays and no on call!
I will stay and help at the facility for a while, but my last official day is Dec 2.  And this Sunday will be my last day on call.
I'm sad to leave because this place has been part of me for so long.  I've made so many friends, both staff, residents and their families, but am excited for something new, and also because it will be so much better for me and my family.

27 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Congratulations, Mari! That is wonderful news for you and your family. I know the facility where you work will be very sad for you to leave, but you have to do what is best for you and those you love. Sounds like God opened up a way for you to be out of what has become a very stressful situation. Thanks to you and all the health care professionals who have carried such a heavy load throughout this pandemic. I wish you all the best in your new job!

DUTA said...

I'm not surprised. I know of two female doctors that left their job at the hospital. They don't intend to go back. Who could have imagined that? it is so difficult to get accepted at medical school!
Anyway, wishing you success at your new job!

Terra said...

It sounds like the new job will be a blessing for you, with no on call days. It is an answer to prayer. I am sure you will be dearly missed where you currently work, but you need to care for yourself and family and this sounds like a good job change.

Susan said...

Congratulations Mari!!! You deserve this new position!

Joyful said...

Wow Mari! Congratulations. I certainly didn't expect you to say you were moving on. But you have given the care home 31 years. It's hard for me to imagine that someone as young as you look could have worked somewhere that long. I know Covid has been very hard on the medical professionals. I'm glad to hear you will have more regular hours in your new job. I'm sure the work mates and staff where you are will miss you but you must do what is good for you and your family. After 31 years, I daresay you also need a change :-)

Jean said...

Wow, Mari!! I am so happy for you!!!! God indeed opened this opportunity for you!

Hootin Anni said...

My gosh...the new position will feel like a part time job to you after this pandemic & nurse shortage!! Congrats Mari.

Linda said...

Awesome and Congratulations! I knew something was up, grin. God opens doors when one least expects it. I can't wait to hear more about your new job, smiles.

Kerin said...

Congratulations!!
I'm so happy for you, and for your family!

Change is hard, and especially when your change involves something that has been a big part of your life for so many years.
You're going to be a great asset to the new office!!!

Hope that you have a great Thanksgiving :)

~K.

R's Rue said...

Congratulations. Much luck in your new position.

Changes in the wind said...

Aren't we glad we have the Lord to help in times of decision making, I feel very sorry for those losing you and very happy for those who will be getting to know you. Blessings.

Beth Cotell said...

Congratulations!!! I know you will be missed and I know this was a hard decision for you but it sounds like a dream schedule compared to what you've been dealing with!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Congratulations, Mari. What will you be doing in your new position?
This pandemic sure turned life upside down. In my neck of the woods it's not just healthcare that's suffering from shortages. I was so surprised to go into my favorite fast food place and see the dining area has been shut down because they're short staffed, and my great-granddaughter is having to do school at home several days a week because her school is short staffed as well.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

I am SO happy for you!!!!!

It is time!!!

Sooooo happpppy!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

The Reason?

Why are Health Care workers leaving????

Because of the Government Mandate, that they must get the so-called-Covid-Shot.

I suppose you really are *not allowed*, to post this.

But I hope, you *are allowed*, to leave my comment.

I have not read the other comments, here.

But from what I read generally, people are ignorant, of the FACTS, behind so much of all the horrors, going on in our Country, at this time.

-sigh-

-sigh-

-sigh-

Courage!

Sparky said...

I'm glad you're getting out of that stressful environment. The government created the problem with the plandemic, now they're makin' it worse and hopin' to collapse the economy to be recreated in the Communist image of equal misery. I'm praying that their plan won't work.
So, congratulations! And well done you. God is good, all the time. He takes care of His own.
Happy Thanksgiving and lots of blessings for you all! xx

The Liberty Belle said...

Wishing you success and happiness at your new job. Congratulations!

happyone said...

That sounds just right for you and I'm happy for you. :)
Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication. We certainly need more people like you!!

Suemn said...

Congratulations Mari! I am happy that you are able to move on to a job where you won't be on call and have to put in so much overtime. Years ago I had a job where I was on call for IT computer support for the corporation's systems. I'd be responsible one week out of three where I'd carry the pager and get paged whenever there was an issue. I didn't care for it when I'd get paged at night or on the weekends. At least I didn't have to go into work, I could log on from home to troubleshoot the problem. Your nursing facility is going to miss you and you will be hard to replace, if they are even able to do that.

Terri D said...

Oh, dear, dear Mari!! Praise God! I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! Yes, screaming it!! How awesome for you to have this opportunity. I am sorry for your facility because they are losing someone so special but happy for you and the different patients you will now be touching with your expertise and heart! Do keep us posted!! xo

Kim said...

Congratulations Mari! That's wonderful, it sounds like a great opportunity and perfect timing. I wish you nothing but the best in your new position. Happy Thanksgiving!!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Oh Mari. I just feel the bittersweet in this post. How difficult it must have been to make that decision because you do become a work family. But completely understandable that it was probably time for something new. May God bless your new journey ahead. Anyone will be absolutely blessed to have you as a nurse on their staff.
And hearing all about nursing shortages here too. It's awful! I pray that they figure out the solution to provide what nurses need so that this crisis can be corrected. Nurses are amazing and the main cog in the gear that makes whole facilities work right. 🙏

Catherine said...

Very happy for you, this is a good decision!

sharon said...

Congratulations on your new job! I know you and your family are so excited for this new adventure!

Tracy dixon said...

Congratulations. I know you will be so much happier and more relaxing.

Katelyn R. said...

congratulations! i'm so so so happy for you and uncle bob and the family <3 this will be so wonderful for you to have a normal work /home life balance! so grateful you get this opportunity!

Jenny the Pirate said...

This wonderful news continues to make me glad every single time I think of it. I wondered many times how long you could continue with the schedule you were keeping. God is so good to make this opportunity open up for you. I know it will be fantastic for you, and even more fantastic for your new employer, to have you on their team. xoxo