Pages

Monday, February 15, 2021

Winter on Lake Michigan

 Last week I had a hair appointment in Grand Haven, about 20 minutes from our home.  Grand Haven is right on Lake Michigan and is a popular tourist spot in the summer.  We love to go there and walk the pier in the summer.  So, when I was done with my haircut, I decided to check out the pier and lighthouse.  It's been soooo cold here so I thought the ice would be pretty.  Sorry - some of you may have seen these photos on facebook already.

The railings were covered with ice.



The ice was thick and coated everything.



Large sheets of ice were floating in the channel.



The pier and lighthouse were so pretty in the snow and ice!








The lake looks pretty even when you see snow and not sand!



Look at all the ice on the lighthouse!








The sun was setting - time to go home and get warm, but it was a beautiful stop!


15 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

WOW, these are stunningly gorgeous photos! My favorites are the first two and the lighthouse. They remind me of the images in Dr. Zhivago.

Arlene G said...

Amazing....Mari go back in the summer and take pictures to show us to compare. Makes me cold just looking at them.

Sparky said...

My, goodness, you're tougher than me. It's pretty in pictures but I couldn't take that kind of weather. Hope y'all stay safe and warm.

Changes in the wind said...

Oh my that sure looks cold but pretty at the same time. The red lighthouse sure stands out in all that white.

Jeanette said...

I love Grand Haven! My header picture on my blog was taken there a few years ago! I have never seen it in the winter before though! Great pictures!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Ice can be awful and scary but it sure can be beautiful too, can't it? Looks so much like Lake Superior too and down by the water here. Beautiful.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh dear ... this is truly horrible. A veritable nightmare. I don't know how anyone lives in such a climate. I had to pull my sweater sleeves down just looking at these. It's cold here today, and windy (feels like 41 degrees, brrrrr), but at least the sun has finally come out of hiding. Of course your pictures are fantastic! And I admire you for what you had to do to get them. xoxo

Debi said...

Beautiful photos! As harsh and bitter as winter can be, it is also beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Jean said...

I am stunned by the beauty of these pictures all over again! And you live just 20 minutes from this?? Amazing!!

Kim said...

Your subject matter is lovely, but you are very talented photographer! WOw!!

Michelle said...

This thick ice is beautiful, but crazy at the same time!

Karin said...

Wow! I might have just gone to the Beauty Salon and straight home, but you had courage to stick around to photo all of this. Fantastic shots!

Laurel Wood said...

My husband enjoyed when I showed him your photos as he used to live here. Hope you have a pleasant night. Mildred

Henny Penny said...

Mari, these pictures are amazing! So beautiful! I had planned to do a little post and show pictures of our ice storm, but after seeing your pictures, I may just find something else to do. :)

LL Cool Joe said...

Oh wow what beautiful shots! But I'm more jealous of the fact you got your hair cut! It looks like we may have to wait until early summer before I can get mine done!