Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Sisters getaway!

 Most of you know how much I enjoy doing things with my sisters.  Well, I just had a wonderful weekend with Cheri.  Terri couldn't make this one because her youngest was moving into college, plus she has had lots of softball weekends and didn't feel like she could get away again.  We missed her!

So, Cheri and I planned a weekend in Northern Michigan.  I'm going to share this in a few posts so you aren't overwhelmed with pics!
We left early Friday morning.  We drove to Traverse City and started there.


We started at the old Traverse City Asylum, which I shared when we visited last year.  It's been all fixed up and is now home to condo's, shops and restaurants.  We wandered through the shops there.  
They still have many old things our from it's history, including this old wheelchair.


It's a very cool place to walk around.
We also went into the city and enjoyed walking and shopping there.



We had supper in one of our favorite places in Traverse City and then went to find the place we rented through VRBO.
Cheri and I have a history of getting lost, we need Terri with us!  This place was about 30 minutes from Traverse City and we were following our GPS.  All went well, until we were going down the road it is supposed to be on, and the GPS said "You have arrived at your destination".  It was a field and the nearby addresses were about 200 off from what we were supposed to be at.  So, we started looking for the right address, but found ourselves on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, and soon that road was ending, still no house!
We tried calling the owner but because we were in the boonies, we had no service.  We started backtracking and made it out to where it was a little more civilized, got a hold of the owner and got some better directions.
We were very thankful to pull up to our house!   But - we do love an adventure and this did give us some laughs!



Here is our super cute rental!


A nice patio with a private, wooded back yard.



Comfy living room


The bedroom I used



The beautiful kitchen!  (I want this kitchen in my house)   :)











The sliding door off the kitchen led to a laundry area and the garage.
This place was so clean and had everything we could have needed.  They also left us a bottle of wine, soft drinks and bottled water.



The next morning we got up and headed for Leland Michigan.  It's up near the pinky finger on the lower peninsula.  We had a beautiful drive and stopped at this little park on the way to check out this bridge.



There were lots of pretty wild flowers growing around it.



Here's Cheri on the bridge.



This is Fishtown in Leland.  There are lots of old fishing shacks, most have been made into little shops.










We had lunch on a patio overlooking this river.  So pretty!



There are a lot of wealthy people who live around here and we saw a lot of cool cars, including this one!




In the afternoon, we headed back to Traverse City.   We really enjoyed the drive - so many pretty things to see!  Tomorrow I'll share a few more things we saw.

15 comments:

Arlene G said...

I always look forward to hearing about your sisters weekend What a precious house and great area to do touristy things.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I lOVE the Fishtown pictures, it is a gorgeous place! And your rental, I want to LIVE there! The kitchen is my favorite, I WANT it!! It has everything and is perfect. They would have had to DRAG me out of this place!

Susan said...

Looks like a really nice get away!!!

Joyful said...

Wow what beautiful photos of the area where you travelled. What a beautiful home you stayed in too!

Vintage Girl 901 said...

What fun!

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

I always enjoy seeing the pictures from your 'sister' trips and this was no exception. Enjoy!

Sparky said...

How lovely. That is a pretty area. The 'car' is a Slingshot. They're not in production anymore. Blessings.

Changes in the wind said...

What a pretty house! The little towns are so cute and it looks nice and cool to be outside, thanks for taking us along.

Sylvia said...

what a great place to rent and great pics. GLad to see them all.

Terri D said...

The house you rented looks so comfy and nice!! Your sister weekends always seem so fun and it is too bad Terri couldn't come along!! My GPS has given us a few hiccups a few times, but we always figure it out, eventually! LOL I am looking forward to your next post!

R's Rue said...

So pretty

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I love these adventures! You go to such cool places. You're obviously kindred spirits with the getting lost part and just laughing about the adventure. Lol! That rental was adorable!! Sounds like a wonderful start to the trip. 😉

Debi said...

What a beautiful house! I loved your story about getting lost... sometimes I think the GPS just likes to play with us!

Jenny the Pirate said...

You find the most charming places! LOVE the rental house. I want that kitchen too, with only a few modifications. xoxo

Sally said...

How fun, and getting lost? Ha! Sounds like my sis-in-law was with y'all. She has gotten me lost too many time, and now if she says "I know a shortcut" NOPE! :)

The kitchen, yes I love it too. Cute house, and I've really been enjoying your pics, Mari!

So glad y'all had a great time.
xoxo