Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Cooking Thursday

 Today's recipe is from my daughter Laura.  She made these bars to bring to the 4th of July party at my niece's house and everyone thought they were so good!  They were perfect for the 4th because of the red and blue berries, but they would taste good anytime.



Glazed Sugar Cookie Berry Bars
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 cups fresh berries, I used blueberries, raspberries and blackberries*
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, plus 1 yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups flour
Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350°F
Line a 9×9 baking dish with aluminum foil and coat with cooking/baking spray. Set aside.
In a small bowl combine 1/3 cup granulated sugar with the cornstarch. Place the berries in a medium bowl and sprinkle the cornstarch mixer on top, tossing the berries to coat them evenly. Set aside.
Mix the butter and 3/4 cup of sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add in the egg, yolk, vanilla, salt and baking powder and mix for another minute until smooth. Turn the speed to low and add in the flour, mixing until just incorporated.
Press 2/3 of the dough into the prepared pan. Top this evenly with the prepared berries. Next drop the remaining dough by the teaspoonful evenly onto the berries. This will not cover the berries completely.
Bake the bars for 35-40 minutes until the bars are set in the middle and lightly golden on top.
Remove the pan from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
Meanwhile prepare the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla together until smooth. Pour this on top of the warm bars.
Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting into pieces.
* You may use any mix of berries, but the original recipe says strawberries make it more watery, so she doesn't recommend them.

15 comments:

Dianna said...

Sounds and looks so yummy!

Ginny Hartzler said...

They look totally perfect! And awesome for the Fourth!

Jan said...

These look delicious!

Hootin Anni said...

Mmmm, my tummy says Yes, please.

R's Rue said...

Yummy.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Lovely and not chocolate. ,-)))

✨ ✨ ✨ ✨

happyone said...

Yummy that sure looks good.
I'm going to be making your pork chop recipe on Saturday.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Oh my....these bars sound like my absolute love language! Already copied this one to keep. 😉 😋

Terri D said...

Looks and sounds delicious! That sounds like a lot for a 9x9 pan (maybe I just want more!!). Thanks for always bringing us new and yummy recipes!! xo

Debby said...

Oh, my husband would LOVE this.

Debi said...

Yum!

Kim said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Passing this one on to my little baker with an urgent request. ;)

Joyful said...

Yummy. I love berries so this recipe is up my alley :-)

Jeanette said...

Those do look good!

Jenny the Pirate said...

I copied and pasted this even before I commented! Laura finds the most amazing recipes. I think when I make this, I will double it and use a larger pan! xoxo