Pages

Monday, December 13, 2021

Special Decorations

 Here's a few decorations that have special meaning to us.


This kissing ball hangs over our table.  It was given to me by one of my residents several years ago.




Our stockings!  I made these name tags last year.  I like the rustic, natural look and love the people these represent!




An old fashioned Santa that Bob carved quite a few years ago.




Laura made this Nativity set from clay over 20 years ago. Some pieces are a little worse for wear, but most are doing ok.



She was only 16 when she did this and I love all the detail in it.  Do you see the little chickens?



And check out those cute sheep!




This little candy dish was given to me by the husband of a resident.  This lady loved to sit with me at the nurses station and greet visitors as they came in.  I love to see this and remember her.




This one makes me laugh every year.  The first time I met Bob's sister she was working on ornaments for a bazaar to benefit the nursing home.  She had been given a kit for these.  I helped her and we laughed at these, saying they were so ugly.  She laughed harder at Christmas when she gave me this one.  It's been gracing our tree for 40 years now!



Look at the detail of this beaded bell!  This was given to me by the family of another resident.  When I knew her, she had Alzheimers and couldn't do this type of thing, but this shows the talent she had. It's another one that brings me joy each year as I remember her, and her family, who I grew to love!


Bob's carved Santa's!





And last, these ornaments with our mom's handwriting on them.  The writing was taken from notes they had given us, and copied onto the felt.  My mom has been gone for 17 years, Bobs mom has been gone for 2.  These are treasures.

19 comments:

Sparky said...

I haven't seen a Kissing Ball in ages. I might bring that tradition back. Love your decorations, especially the "rustic" looking stockings. That's nice! Wish I'd thought of it.
Merry CHRISTmas y'all. xx

Ginny Hartzler said...

Both Bob and Laura are so talented! I am so impressed with their work, the beauty, detail and whimsy. I have never seen a kissing ball like this, with a crystal under it. It is gorgeous!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow, Bob is so talented! Those carved Santas are great! Part of the fun of Christmas is the special Christmas ornaments and decorations that become so dear to our hearts. Hope you are having a good week!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Wow, Bob is very talented. Those carved Santas look great.
As for that Christmas decoration (ball) you said was ugly and made you laugh, I thought was quite pretty.
I really like the name tags you made. Very different looking.

Hootin Anni said...

Love the nativity and of course, the carved Santas. All the ornaments and gifts are treasures!! Each so special.

Arlene G said...

Mari, I can tell you are sentimental like I am....all my things have a special meaning. I write on my Grands ornaments each year hoping they will treasure them one day. And Bob's carving....WOW!!!

Changes in the wind said...

Many special memories and all so different.

Beth Cotell said...

Bob is so talented!!

Linda said...

Beautiful....ps I have the same kissing ball, grin.

Terri D said...

Mari, I really enjoyed seeing all of these special Christmas treasures. Bob is SO talented. The carved Santas are all amazing. I love the Nativity your daughter made! The creative gene lives in her, for sure! I chuckled at the ornament with the pinned beads. My mom made a bunch of those back in the day. It was sure a thing back then! Love & hugs!

Doris said...

Love all the decorations and ornaments. The memories make each one so special too. Thanks for sharing!

happyone said...

I LOVE all the carved Santa's!!! Excellent work. Bob is very talented.

Henny Penny said...

All of these things are so special. I enjoyed hearing about each one of them. Can't get over that little clay Nativity. That is really neat, and my goodness, Bob's carved Santas are amazing. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas.

Suemn said...

So many memories with such loved Christmas ornaments, decorations, wood carvings, and clay sculpting. What type of wood did Bob use for his wood carvings? Did he take a class to learn wood carving?

Mari said...

Suemn,
Bob uses Bass wood for his carving. He is self taught. He always did wood working - made furniture... One year a wood magazine he subscribed to had an article on carving and he thought he would try it. He's been carving ever since!

Jean said...

How special - the memories and people associated with each one!

Kim said...

There really is something special that happens each year when we whip these decorations our, isn't there? So many memories tied to each one, I think that's the true magic of the season...and wow, your family is very crafty. The carvings are really outstanding.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I love seeing these and the stories behind them. That nativity your daughter made is precious! And Bob is so talented. I love seeing his work. And I especially love the Mom ornaments - priceless. xo

Jenny the Pirate said...

Treasures indeed, some witty and some poignant. The ones with your mother's writing always bring a tear to my eye. xoxo