Pages

Monday, December 20, 2021

Job update

 Wednesday will mark 2 weeks since starting my new job and I thought I should update you on how it's going.


First, I thought I would share a few pictures.  This whole building is 2 separate practices.  The top level is a family medicine practice, and I work in the lower level which is a Geriatric medicine practice.

There are 2 sections to this; one part is a home-based medicine, which had quite a few doctors, nurse practitioners and physician assistants who go to people's homes to see them.  The other half of the practice (which is the group I work with) is another group of doctors, nurse practitioners and physician assistants who go to nursing homes and assisted living facilities to see residents there. There are some patients seen in the office, but only on Thursday and Friday.  


Here's what it looks like in our area.  There are windows all around, and I've been amazed at all the birds that are around.  I've seen lots of blue jays and cardinals, and even several hawks.  They tell me there are frequently deer as well.  It's nice to have that type of view!

This is the area that the Geriatric medicine nurses work in and the home-based nurses are on the other side of the room. They are not separated so there's lot of talking between everyone here. There's laughter and fun, and people who help each other out.

It is busy. The phone rings a lot, and we also deal with lots of computer messages from insurance, pharmacies, staff at different buildings...  so there won't be a problem with being bored.



This is my own little cubby, which I'm just starting to personalize a bit.  I haven't spent much time here as I've been orientating with other nurses.  The people here have been wonderful, and this place takes orientation very seriously, and doesn't want to just push people into a position.  The biggest part of my orientation is doing Epic training.  Epic is a computer system that I will use to chart on, to document every phone call, to schedule appointments, to order meds...  It's very intense and I have 6 scheduled days at a training facility just to learn the basics.  I was warned by the office managers that it would be overwhelming and to "give yourself grace".  It is overwhelming, but I'm learning!  I've had 2 days of this training so far, will have another one this week, and then 3 days the next week.
I've really enjoyed coming back to the office and being able to put some of those things into practice.
One thing I don't think I shared is that I was told that after about 3 months, when I'm feeling comfortable with the job, they will let me work 2 days there and 2 days from home.  They've already got me set up with a computer to take home and a head set for phone calls. They also said that if the roads are bad or I don't feel 100 %, I can let them know and work from home.  That's a huge blessing!
I've also been so relieved to not be getting constant phone calls and not being called into work.   I have been back to my old job for one day to help the girl who is doing some of my old tasks.  She is overwhelmed and was thankful for some help.  I was once again reminded of why I left, although it was good to see some of the workers and residents again.
Thanks for the prayers as I adjust, and the messages checking on me!

17 comments:

Terra said...

I like the flexibility for you, being able to work from home at times. I think the pandemic has pushed a lot of organizations to offer this. This sounds like a good job move for you, congrats.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your new job looks so airy, full of light, and open. Very lovely! And how wonderful about working from home and not having to worry about bad weather!! You are so smart, and so good at multi tasking that I am sure you are catching onto the Epic system quickly! I loved seeing your new place!

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad the new job is working out well. Working from home will be a wonderful blessing. I hope the rest of your training goes well. Thanks for the update. I have been thinking about you. See you again soon. :-)

Phoebes World said...

Wow... working from home is such a blessing...Enjoy your training and hope everything goes well. Im sure you will love it. x

Arlene G said...

Sounds like the perfect job....one of my nursing school friends retired from Hospice and took a job for an insurance company where she works from home approving procedures etc.

Changes in the wind said...

So glad to read this update and I have prayed and was wondering how it was going. It sounds very intense but for you it is a challenge and a wonderful change and I have no doubt you will soar.

Linda said...

I was wondering how it was going. I am so happy to read this, Mari, truly. Wishing you a beautiful Merry Christmas just in case you don't post again. OH, and thank you for the many kind words and support...it truly means a lot to us.

Jeanette said...

When I worked at U of M I used a small part of Epic for scheduling and ordering tests. It was a lot to learn but once I knew what I was doing I loved it! It sounds like your job is perfect, especially the part where you get to work from home when you need to!

Sparky said...

I like the sound of your job. I'm so glad they are good folks with happy attitudes. That makes the day sweeter. It helps the patients feel welcome too. Thanks for sharing.
Merry CHRISTmas to you, your family and your co-workers.
Blessings. xx

Suemn said...

Yay! Your new job sounds like it was made for you:)

Hootin Anni said...

Just popping by after I posted my last blog of the year to wish you all a wonderful holiday season.

happyone said...

That sounds like a great place to work and how nice to have all those widows and see all the wildlife.
Wonderful that you will be able to work from home once in a while
and you don't have to worry about traveling in bad weather.
So glad things are working out well with your new job

Terri D said...

Thanks for the update, Mari! I've been waiting for this and am so happy it is all working out so well and that you have the opportunity to work some from home later!! I know you are enjoying your evenings and weekends!! I am just so happy for you to have this opportunity to have some more family time and a little less stress (or different, anyway). Lots to celebrate this Christmas and New Year!! xo

Tracy dixon said...

So glad you're enjoying your new job.

Jenny the Pirate said...

WOW those windows are truly a blessing, Mari. I have said many times that I work so much better if I can just see out of a window! And the folks there seem to truly care about not only their patients, but their staff too. Just not getting the phone calls to come in at all hours would be worth anything, I would think. And working from home much of the time? Slam Dunk! I predict that you are going to love that. I feel for the lady who took your place and I wish her every success. You're a good egg to go back over there and help her! Merry Christmas my friend! xoxo

Jean said...

I'm so glad to read this post about your new job! What a blessing from God!!! I'm so very happy for you!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

It sounds like you're doing great Mari! And prayers for you as you continue on your new path. I bet all the experience from your last job (and blogging 😉 ) help with the technical areas.
How wonderful that you'll be able to do some from home too! Sounds like it's going to be a perfect fit. And so nice you can still check in at your other place too. God bless nurses like you!