Pages

Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Cooking Thursday

 I'm sure you've had the classic lemon bars.  They are always good! Here's a recipe I tried recently, that has a shortbread crust and a thick, creamy lemon filling.  It's a good one!





Lemon Bars

Shortbread Crust: 
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted 
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour

Lemon Filling
2 cups granulated sugar
6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 large eggs
1 cup lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
confectioners’ sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Make the crust: Mix the melted butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the flour and stir to completely combine. The dough will be thick. Press firmly into greased 9x13  pan, making sure the layer of crust is nice and even. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from the oven. Using a fork, poke holes all over the top of the warm crust (not all the way through the crust). Set aside.
Make the filling: Sift the sugar and flour together in a large bowl. Whisk in the eggs, then the lemon juice until completely combined.
Pour filling over warm crust. Bake the bars for 22-26 minutes or until the center is relatively set and no longer jiggles. (Give the pan a light tap with an oven mitt to test.) Remove bars from the oven and cool completely at room temperature.
Dust with confectioners’ sugar and cut into squares before serving.

18 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

It looks delicious! You always post such good recipes!

Joyful said...

Those bars do look good. They remind me of a cake I made a year or two ago. When you sliced into it, the slices looked like bars. It had a lot of butter. I see the lemon bars also have a lot of butter because of the shortbread base. Yum.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Mari - My husband was sitting next to me on the couch as I read this post and the recipe and he immediately said, "you have to make those." So now all the needed ingredients are on the list and I will be giving them a try - probably this weekend.
Thanks so much. As I told Charly, "Mari is an excellent cook, and always has great recipes." Have a good Friday.

Catherine said...

I love lemon curd, your lemon bars make me think of it .

Linda said...

Yum. Those bars look so good. smiles

Hootin Anni said...

...anything with lemon is a hit at our house!!

Arlene G said...

I guess I am in the minority but I am just not a lemon flavor fan. Give me chocolate.lol

Kerin said...

Thanks for the recipe! Looks like a refreshing treat and easy enough to make, as well.

Smiles :)
~K.

jan said...

These look good. What size baking pan do you use? Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Oh mercy, love lemon bars.

And a bakery even makes them G/F!!!!!!!

"Miss B.B."
🎄🌟🔥🎄🔥🌟🎄

happyone said...

Oh yes, I love lemon bars and these sure do look good.

Michelle said...

Lemon bars are a favorite of mine and I rarely make them. I end up eating most of them!

Sparky said...

When I was younger, I didn't like lemon, but now I do. These look so good.
Blessings. xx

Mari said...

I'm sorry that I forgot to put the pan size in. It's a 9x13 pan.

Terri D said...

That's a BIG recipe for lemon bars! Joe would have loved them! I do love shortbread, though! xo

Doris said...

I love lemon bars but haven't had any in a long time. Mouth watering as I read the recipe! Easy to make GF and think I'm gonna do it....😊

Susan said...

Those lemon bars look so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh wow! I am a lemon bar lover from way back. Duly copied. Thanks, Mari! xoxo