Pages

Monday, January 18, 2021

Making Whirlygigs

 Last weekend when the girls came over we made whirlygigs.  They are decorated cardboard circles that you put cord through and make spin.  
I found the instructions on making them here.  This site also has a place where you can enter your e-mail and they will send you patterns you can print and use.  I did that and got some fun ones.

I printed off some of the patterns and cut out cardboard circles.  Here's Alaina gluing the pattern to the cardboard.


Then you use a kitchen skewer to poke 2 holes through it all.  I let Alaina do her own, but didn't think it was a good idea for Ruby, so I did hers.  :)


You then put some cord through and tie it. 

Here's Ruby making hers spin.



Alaina really got hers going too!


After we did one, I gave them paper to make their own designs for another one.

They had such fun figuring out patterns to draw.



and they both worked hard at getting it just how they wanted.



Here they are with their finished whirlygigs!
They had such fun doing this, and it was an easy and very inexpensive project!


15 comments:

Mary said...

I remember playing with those when I was a child, I would have enjoyed making those back then.

Ginny Hartzler said...

They look so concentrate. What a great idea! I am going to this link to print out some designs. Our my granddaughters will love this. That is, whenever Covid permits us to be together again.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a great craft site! I have made an icon for it on my desktop. Thanks so much! Our granddaughters look to be about the same age, and you find such awesome craft ideas!

Hootin Anni said...

I must admit, I enjoyed the dedicated expressions of the girls working with the craft!! And then the pride of jobs well done.

Deb J. in Utah said...

You do such fun things with your granddaughters. I love it! Have a great week.

Changes in the wind said...

Such concentration! They turned out really cute and looked like fun.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

what fun you come up with for the girls. love their expressions they made and it looked like so much fun.

Sally said...

I made a comment and lost it, Mari. LOL

Anyway, I have always loved seeing those two cute little/precious ones. They are, and have been, so adorable. Love seeing their project; you come up with the best crafts!

I'm trying to catch up with everyone, but having a hard time it seems. Take care and know I'm thinking of you and your family in these uncertain times. I pray a lot though just you do, my friend, about everything.

xoxo

Terri D said...

Your grandgirls are so cute, Mari (but you know that!). Great project! I am going to sign up and see what I get! We don't have any little ones but sometimes it is fun to do something easy and fun!! Thanks for sharing!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

You are getting great at these crafts Lady! You find the most fun ones to do. I can't believe how big the girls are getting. I love how they love their Grandma so much. Blessings on the rest of your week. ❤️

Jenny the Pirate said...

How DARLING are those girls? As Ruby grows so tall, they are starting to look like twins! I cannot believe it. What a super project too ... although I bet some part of that would confound me. I am NOT artistic! Alaina and Ruby are though. And grandma isn't bad either. xoxo

Jeanette said...

How neat are those? I'm going to remember these for when my grandsons get a little older!

Kim said...

They must just love coming to your house. And I love that sweet window photo frame behind your darling granddaughters!

Debi said...

You are such a fun grandmother! I love this project and am filing it away to do with my granddaughter.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

You always have such fun projects for the girls when they come over.
Love the picture of them holding their finished whirlygigs.