Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Cooking Thursday

 Today I have 2 recipes for you.  One is for a roast I kept seeing and finally made when my sister told me I had to try it.  The second is for sliders using the left over roast.  This roast is so good - it falls apart and has great flavor.  And then the sliders - absolutely yummy!  So buy a good sized roast and plan for leftovers!


I didn't take pics of the roast, but here's one of the sliders.

Mississippi Pot Roast


1 (3-4 pounds) chuck roast
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1 packet au jus gravy mix
1/4 cup butter
4-5 pepperoncini peppers (You can buy these in a jar. I've skipped them too and the outcome is still good)



Place roast in the slow cooker and sprinkle the top with the ranch dressing mix and the au jus mix. Place peppers on top of the mixes, and add the butter.
Cook over low heat for at least 10 hours. Serve with noodles, rice or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
(Do not add any water or broth to this! It will make enough liquid as it cooks.)





Here's the bonus recipe I use for the leftovers. These are the best sliders ever!

Roast Beef Sliders

Left over beef and broth
one package small slider buns
swiss cheese, sliced
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon mustard


Shred the leftover beef. Strain any broth that is left and heat on stovetop. Thicken with cornstarch flurry and stir back into shredded beef. Warm beef and broth.
Mix mayonnaise and mustard together.
Slice buns and spread mayo/mustard mix on top half.
Put beef on bottom half of bun, top with swiss cheese and put top half of bun on.
Place in pan and cover with foil.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.


16 comments:

Mary said...

Mari, that is an excellent recipe, I was introduced to it by my daughter Annie and it became a favorite. I’m not a fan of pickled peppers, like pepperoncini, so if I had seen the recipe myself I would have passed but I tried it not knowing the peppers were cooked with it and the taste blew me away. And it does make excellent leftovers for sandwiches.

Ginny Hartzler said...

It looks yummy! I must be the only person on earth who doesn't have a slow cooker!

Susan said...

The sliders sound good and I think I would add pickled pepperoncinis for a crunch.

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

Two good recipes and will be trying the sliders for sure after the next roast in the crockpot.

Hootin Anni said...

Looks mighty fitting! (I tried commenting earlier & I don't think it went thru. If you have multiple comments from me, I apologize).

Deb J. in Utah said...

Thanks, Mari. I printed off this recipe. Sunday dinner! Have a good Thursday!

Sparky said...

The slider looks so good. Yum! Meals like that are so perfect for cold winter days.
Y'all have a blessed day and keep looking up! Jesus is comin' back soon. xx

Jenny the Pirate said...

I can't believe you hadn't yet tried Mississippi Pot Roast, Mari! I think I've blogged about it. It was one of my mother's specialties. WOW what a recipe! In my house there wouldn't be any left over for sliders, haaahaa! I'd have to make one special just for that. BTW I just tried a new crock pot pork chop recipe that I must share with you. EXCELLENT and so EASY! xoxo

Terri D said...

Oh my, these both sound so good! Very similar to how I do a roast. I just use the ranch dressing mix and I put an entire stick of butter on top of that and let it cook on low for 6-8 hours. Yummy good! The sliders or leftovers is brilliant!!

Jean said...

This sounds so scrumptious!! I'd have to use the leftovers some other way, because we don't eat rolls since Dick is diabetic and I seem to feel so much better without gluten.

Debi said...

We don't often have roasts but the next time we do I will try this... it sounds delicious!

Jeanette said...

I've made that roast before. It's so good! Something about the butter on it makes all the difference!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I have made a version of this as Italian beef with Italian dressing mix and the pepperoncini pepper juice. But never did the sliders with leftovers. Love that!! Going to definitely do that next time. 😋 I got to it late, but I did post the sheet pan pancake recipe now. Just fyi. Blessings. xo

Joyful said...

The food looks and sounds so good. I got a very late start on baking bread and fried up a few like my mom used to while waiting for it to rise for the oven.

Henny Penny said...

Oh my goodness! I do believe there is a chuck roast in the freezer. Mari, I Did try the baked corn recipe and we both loved it. Thank you.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Yeah if you HAVE any leftovers from Mississippi Pot Roast! Depends on how many you share it with, I guess ... haaaaaha xoxo